“When we go somewhere else, it feels like we're cheating...”
Review of GC's Bistro - CLOSED

GC's Bistro
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Romantic special occasions casual fine dining
Los Osos, California
“When we go somewhere else, it feels like we're cheating...”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

Giancarlo's CONSISTENTLY provides some of the best food in San Luis Obispo County. My wife is a gourmet chef in her own right, but when we eat out we are rarely disappointed in Giancarlo's (unlike a lot of other high-end restaurants in the area). In short, the food is amazing and the prices are great for what you get.

If there IS a downside, it would be that it is sometimes a little TOO casual for our hoity-toity date nights. Call me a curmudgeon, but I was once disappointed to see them allow a woman with a stupid little dog in her purse sit at a nearby table.

Bottom-line: when we go somewhere else in the area, we regularly compare the food against Giancarlo's and the competitors are regularly found wanting.

Cambria, CA
“A true Italian Experience”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

I just got back from Italy and was excited when my friends suggested Giancarlo's for a girls night out. The food was amazing, the wine was imported from Italy and the food was very high quality. The service is quite a bit like what you would get in Italy. It is expected when people go out that you are going to make it an all evening event. The wait staff is attentive but not overbearing. The desserts are amazing! We ordered three different ones. I highly recommend the Chocolate Mousse Cake as well as the Tiramisu. Everything was great! Give it a try! Order one of the bottle of imported wine from Italy. You won't be disappointed. Chao!

California
“Really superb”
Reviewed May 22, 2010

The meal last night was superlative, our waiter divine, the setting fabulous at the "chef's bar" and the wine was fantastic. This is really worth it if you are in the area and love good Italian food. We've been to this restaurant several times, but it is time to recommend!

1 Thank beckyadams
Modesto, California
“Not a good experience!”
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Two of us ate here while staying a few days in Morro Bay. I wanted to eat here based on the great reviews and the desire for a special Italian meal. It was not a good experience, from the time we entered the restaurant. Although we were seated right away, the waiter did not come to greet us for some time and apparently the hostess had to grab him and ask him to serve our table. The noise level in the restaurant was loud and uncomfortable. It must be because the tables are close together, but I have been in other restaurants with a sizeable number of people and close tables and the noise is not this bad. The place has little atmosphere as well. Our order was taken and we started with an appetizer which was a brie cheese plate. We were also given bread with a tasty dipping sauce which I enjoyed. The brie appetizer was just okay, nothing special. We then began a very long wait for our meal which was supposed to be pizza and lasagna. The meal never came. The restaurant seemed somewhat chaotic. The busboy was bringing food for people and at one point did not seem to know at which table a dessert belonged. Our waiter as well as other wait staff were rushing around and the placed seemed quite disorganized. After an hour of waiting and our waiter not able to tell us on a few occasions when the meal would be coming, we asked him if we could see the manager. Our waiter and hostess eventually told us the manager was not available. We asked for the check so we could leave. Then we were finally told that the pizza was ready but we had had enough. My husband and I have never left a restaurant before a meal came so this was a very new experience. I was glad to be gone as the noise and poor service made for an unpleasant evening. Of course we will not be back here and cannot recommend this restaurant. The prices here are not cheap and for the price one pays, a much better experience should be provided.

California
“Great food, reasonable prices”
Reviewed December 4, 2009

After hearing a few mediocre reviews, we decided to dine Giancarlo's. We planned on simply enjoying a pizza and some wine at the bar, but decided to sit in the dining room and enjoy an entire meal. The food was outstanding. The first course warm spinach salad and artichoke starter were perfect. Next we had the veal medallions and, a special for the evening, the filet and prawns. As many of us that use Tripadvisor, I enjoy interesting spins on the classic 'filet & shrimp'. It was fantastic! The level of complexity on the dish was far from what I was expecting. And, as I told my server, on my dish was truly one of the tastiest portabella mushrooms I have ever had.

We'll go back!