“Great Experience”

GC's Bistro
Ranked #44 of 98 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Romantic special occasions casual fine dining
Clovis, CA
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2009

Following an afternoon of wine tasting in Paso Robles, my dad and I went to dinner at Giancarlo's, recommended to us by Adelaida Winery (a great place to visit). It was a great experience and a perfect way to end the day. We brought our own wine (Bob's Wine from Whalebone Winery, another great stop), but the wine list was very good. I had abalone chowder and sand dabs. The food was excellent. Service was great. It is not a quiet place. That evening there was live entertainment, a women signing 1920/30 tunes. (she is a keeper Giancarlo) My dad was signing along having a great time. Turns out the restaurant was just down the street from my house and I didn't even know it was there. I'm taking my wife there this weekend for our 20th Anniversary. My dad continues to rave about the place.

California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

Local friends, including a professional chef, had highly recommended this spot. We made reservations for 7 p.m. on a Saturday. The small dining room was packed. The decibel level was atrocious. By the time we completed our meal, we could hardly wait to escape the noise. The servers were rushing about like crazy rabbits. Our wine was served in glasses that had been just removed from a hot dishwasher. Ditto for our salad plates. The food was not exceptional. Food was heaped onto plates, no attention to presentation. For a relaxed, quiet Mediterranean meal served professionally we much prefer A Tavola in San Luis Obispo.

1 Thank CaliforniaJourney
Bay area
“Old world cuisne at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

It was a Wednesday night in a quiet town until we passes a restaurant that was buzzing with so many customers I felt like I was in San Francisco. After driving down to the bay and viewing numerous restaurants, which all seemed to be no more that a ghost town, I decided to go back to Giancarlos. As a first generation Italian, whos been told that I am an Italian food snob, I have found a little piece of Italy in the little town of Morro Bay, Ca. Upon entering Giancarlos we were instantly saluted in Italian by the chefs which do all there work in a beautiful open kitchen. There were no available seats in the dinning room so we sat at the chefs bar, oh what an experience. We were given a menu and a fantastic wine list that was so elaborate with a wide variety of wines by the glass, local, Italian, and French wines I thought I was in heaven. I chose a sampler wine which included three wines of my choice. Seated at the bar I was in front of the wood fire oven in which almost every dish seemed to make it in. Chef Marco, from the Tuscan town of Lucca was refreshingly friendly with a sense of humor that had us laughing all night, was the one manning the wood fire oven. My wife asked him what he recommended and from that point on a menu was not required. My wife and I started with a amazing hazelnut encrusted Mahi Mahi with a beautiful presentation. We were then given a lightly grilled ceaser salad which was just perfect. At this point the meal, still suggested by chef Marco, shifter to Giancarlo himself. Giancarlo is from the town of Barri, which is in the heal of the boot down south. I had the chippino which was so good I cant even compare to any of the chippinos I have had in my life. My wife had the halibut which was so fresh Marco was able to show us the whole fish, which was about 44 lbs, which had just been cleaned. After our meal the was no room for desert but the chefs had bought us one to take home. So I bought the two talented chefs a glass of wine and thanked them for bring a piece of northern Italy and southern Italy together and bless me with one of the most wonderful dinning experience I’ve had in a very long time. Thanks Again and hope one day to return to Morro Bay just to visit Giancarlos again.

2 Thank italiansnob
CA
“Amazing, Classy Italian in Morro Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

A group of us decided to try Giancarlo's on a Thursday night. From the moment we arrived I knew our meal was going to be good. The restaurant was bustling with people dining, at the bar and a full staff ready to accomadate us. Morro Bay is a mostly sleepy seaside town, but this place wasn't. The service was awesome and the food even better. The menu was new and refreshing, nothing typical about it, everything had a new twist, special ingredients or incorporated the local flavor or ingredients. I LOVED everything I ate and they had an established wine and beer menu that was perfect to accompany all of the food they served. One big plus was the food was very gourmet and the portions were more than generous, which isn't very typical these days. I recommend this restaurant, you won't be disappointed,

2 Thank KBrooner
friant, california
“Italian food that "foodysnob Italians" love!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

we ate at giancarlos the other evening and found the food, service and ambiance tops! my wife and i both had the duck with the handmade duck confit ravioli served with an exquisite cream and mushroom sauce. the whole meal was exceptional, jason our server was knowledgable and pleasant without hovering around the table. the beet salad with goat cheese and the wood oven grilled romaine hearts laid the foundation for a tasty ceasar salad. we have travelled all over the world, lived in europe for years, have been raised with good food and the importance of eating well. giancarlos will be visited again and again by us when we are in morro bay. if you are a fan of applebees, tgifridays, the olive garden or the like then stay away! you will NOT be filled with precooked food, arranged to match a picture in the kitchen, and you might flinch at having to pay more than $10 dollars for a meal. if you do like to eat and don't mind paying for what you get then invest in your appetite for great food. you will return again and again. in fact we are headed to morro bay tomorrow and will eat there again on sunday! ciao for now!

3 Thank friantfoodsnob