“The rarity of unimpressive Mexican Food”
Review of Maya Restaurant

Maya Restaurant
Ranked #48 of 101 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Nipomo, California
“The rarity of unimpressive Mexican Food”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I thought that unimpressive Mexican food was a rarity in California; that is until I ate in this restaurant. The chicken in both our dishes was dark meat, and the food had no kick; it was quite bland.

• Visited April 2014

Beverly Hills, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best fajitas ever”
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We were in the mood for Mexican tonight - after reading some of the reviews here we decided to try Maya restaurant. We were the only table as it was a Sunday evening. Service was average but the food was superb. Really tasty fajitas, and enough for three tortillas. Great experience, we'll come back next time we are in Morro Bay. These guys have been there since 1966 so I'm sure they are not going anywhere. Kudos.

• Visited April 2014
“Nice food, great service, good price.!!”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Best Western next door and had dinner here. Enjoyed the food and service. Friendly family owned and ran restaurant.

Sacramento, California
“Authentic Mexican Food”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed in the hotel next to it and were there late when they were just about to close. The owner was super friendly and let us in to order food for take out. The food was great! I lived a couple of years in Latin America and its hard to find authentic Mexican food. The salsa was super delicious as well as the tacos and enchilladas we had. Wish we would live closer....nothing like that in Sacramento.

• Visited January 2014
Caliente
“Third Time is the Charm”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

It was Christmas night in Morro Bay. We were looking for a place for dinner at 7:00 PM. Stopped at the first place, they were busy. The man said it would be 45 minutes before we could be seated. I counted 10 empty tables. We would have waited for dinner, just let us have a table and some beverages.

Second place had a line with five tables ahead of us. We headed north.

We had driven by this place on the way from Cayucos and decided to five it a try. Bingo! Home run!! We walked in and were immediately seated. The bus lady brought chips and salsa. I asked for a menu and she said she did not speak English. We started a conversation in Spanish and her face lit up. She was very friendly and was a harbinger of things to come.

Our server promptly arrived, left menus and took a drink order. Service was quick, the plates were hot, food was great. I had the chile relleno, my companions had enchiladas and a salad. My rellenos were cooked to perfection with a slightly crispy egg batter covering the roasted chile. It was stuffed with cheese that had melted. The salsa ... the SALSA was excellent. It had a flavor that was out of this world. The heat was just right. This is definitely one of the best salsas I have tasted.

Yes, Morro Bay is a seafood place. This restaurant will be on my go to list every time we visit.

• Visited December 2013