“Should have listened to poor reviews”

Dutchman's Seafood House
Ranked #9 of 101 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Dutchman's Seafood House is open for both lunch and dinner. Dutchman's Seafood House is a spot that will quickly become your place to meet friends and family to dine and drink on the bay. Paul and his family are happy to welcome you to their space and showcase their array of fresh handpicked ingredients from local fishermen and farmers that they support. The food at Dutchman's Seafood House will come to life on your plate!
Reviewed February 19, 2014

First of all I want to say that the waiter was attentive and apologetic. My husband ordered the fish and chips. The fish was bland and overcooked. The fries were soggy and not very hot. So he thought his meal was of poor quality and overpriced. My entrée was a seafood stew which was supposed to contain shrimp, scallops, clams and fish. It had a tomato based broth which was supposed to be mildly spiced. In reality it was extremely hot (spiced) with only fish and clams. Also, how any cook could ruin garlic bread is beyond me but it was absolutely horrible. Tasted sour, not toasted or grilled and soggy. My husband tasted it to confirm my opinion and his comment was "gross". Our waiter did apologize and removed my entrée from our bill but with all the excellent choices in Morro Bay we will not return to the Dutchman.

wally5472, Owner at Dutchman's Seafood House, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear race horse lady,

I want to sincerely apologize for the unacceptable meal you were served at our restaurant on the 19th? Providing our guests with high quality, delicious food is one of our highest priorities. I am very sorry that your meal did to live up to the level of quality that our guests have come to expect from our restaurant.
Thank you for brining it to our attention. Your feed back is extremely important and will help us correct the situation that allowed food that was not up to our standards to be served.
While I can not change the past. I would invite you back as my personal guest so I can show you that we can do a much better job then what you experienced. You can contact me at ninthdutch@yahoo.com if you wish.
Once again please accept our sincere apology and thank you for letting us know about this incident.

Best regards,
Paul van Beurden (owner)

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Searching for a restaurant near with water with clam chowder served in a bread bowl, we went to five different places before stumbling on to Dutchman's Seafood House. We were seated next to the window where we could watch the sun setting behind the famous rock in the bay. The soup was the best we have had in ages, and the salad substantial and crisp. We would definitely go there again to try some of their other specialities.

Thank You so much for your kind words. we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Spent one night in Morro Bay and decided to eat at the Dutchman. We were craving fish and chips and this place seemed like a place to get good seafood with good ambiance. Being a long weekend, place was crowded when we arrived but folks were getting seated quickly once patrons left. While waiting, I think we saw the owner teaching his grandson ( maybe 7-8 years old) how to use the cash register, was cute to watch. We got seated with 10 mins and had our orders taken. I had the fish and chips with a cup of clam chowder which was voted best in the bay. Was pleasantly surprised that it had the same thickness and consistency as clam chowder from New England, unlike most clam chowders from the San Francisco Bay Area which tend to be very watery and bland. This one was also made with bacon like the ones I had in New England. The fish and calamari were very fresh and well made. I substituted the bistro garlic fries with my fish chips and it was only a $0.99 more, well worth the upgrade. The service staff was extremely friendly and provided great service. We also had the owner come by and checkin on us as well as wish us good night as we left. Nice place for relaxing evening dinner.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Have eaten here the last two times we have been in Morro Bay. Both times were decent experiences. Waiters are a little un-attentive. But food is good and experience is good. Sunset is best time to eat here. Great view.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We returned to the restaurant after having a very good experience at their Happy Hour 2 different times a few days earlier. The food we had during those experiences was excellent and the beverages were very good and fairly priced. It was the best Happy Hour we experienced in Morro Bay. The lunch was even better. My wife had sand dabs and I had a very large bowl of clam chowder. Both were excellent and very large. The servers on our 3 visits were excellent. They provided good information on food and drinks and were very hospitable. The restaurant is located right on the waterfront with excellent views of the bay and Morro Rock. When we return to Morro Bay we will return to the Dutchman's Seafood House.