“Good hotel but not much here.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
cheshire
“Good hotel but not much here.”
Reviewed July 25, 2009

This was a clean hotel and one of the cheapest ones here. A great location for the Pacific views, however, I question paying extra for the views as there are none from the hotel. The internet connection was good and the staff were lovely. I would recommend this hotel for somewhere to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
California
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Econo Lodge is actually quite a nice little place. We stayed in a bottom floor and the people upstairs had a child that kept bouncing around but we managed to make the most of it.
The price in the winter was a great rate but in the summer time its way too overpriced. I'd rather pay that same summer rate at a nicer hotel. But this one has its positives. It looks out to the Morro Rock , its off of the main st. but not in the heart of town where you'd be hearing cars all night waking you up.
All in all , its a good place to stay for the budget family that is watching their $$ and have King beds available.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed April 12, 2009

I asked for a non-smoking room and was given one that smelled like smoke, yet no ashtrays. That smell is hard to get rid of. I didn't feel like bothering with complaining, but the smell and the traffic noise bugged me, and the microwave didn't work. Ear plugs are a must here. I did see one big dog being taken to a room, but thank Buddha it didn't bark. I steer way clear of motels that accept pets. I really am an old crank who loves peace and quiet, which is pretty hard to find as a traveler staying in cities.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Scotland
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed here 1 night when touring California for 3 weeks. The room was basic and looked the worse for wear. We had an upper floor room with a view of Morro rock. It's in a good location. We could walk to the town, the harbour and restaurants etc. The breakfast was dreadful - pre-packaged pastries which were so bad we could not eat them, cold coffee and 1 type of cereal. Loved Morro Bay but would not reccommend a stay here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Morro Bay hotels

San Bernardino, California
Reviewed August 7, 2008

This hotel was easy to find. With plenty of parking spaces. Right outside our window you could see Morro Rock. But it was overcast that day so it was hard to see the whole thing. The manger was very nice when we checked in. He also made sure to inform us where the continental breakfast would be. Some hotels leave that information out. Our room was over the car port so we didn't have to worry about making too much noise and bothering the people below us. The room had a small table, TV, and dresser. The shower had good water pressure and hot water. This hotel was worth the money that we paid.

• Liked — Parking was not an issue
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Families and vacationers beware please...Was treated poorly by the hotel manager. He kept acting like he was doing me a favor and treated me without any respect. He ridiculed me in front of my significant other when I requested a cleaner room.

The hotel is cheap and dirty. My nonsmoking room wreaked of smoke (no disrespect to the smokers) - its just that I had paid for a non smoking room.

When I pay for a service, I expect to be treated with respect - this was not the case.

As for the rooms, nothing really stands out as bad other than thin walls and the smoke stench.

If you come here, I'd advise not dealing with the hotel manager. My other tip would be to stay somewhere else. We even had to bring our own soap!

This review is only for the 1100 Main St location. I can't speak for the other location on Main St.

• Liked — close to a great restaurant and decent location
  • Disliked — service from hotel manager was horrid and rooms smelled bad
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
monamkj, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, May 21, 2009
We the staff of Econo Lodge are extreamly sorry you did not have a pleasant stay with us. We do hope you change you mind about our hotel and come back again. We hope to see you in the near future.

Econo Lodge Staff
Lompoc, CA
Reviewed May 23, 2008

We arrived to do our photo shooting around 4:30 p.m. on a Saturday evening coming down from Cambria. Although, I had set up the lodging earlier via Internet, I forgot to note I wanted a room with a view...so they were out when we arrived. Thye did have a corner room that had about a 1/3rd angle view of the ocean. Jack the owner was extremely courteous and accommodating. Check-in was a breeze. The room was very clean, comfortable, and proved to be more than adequate. Unlike some comments about hearing neighbors at night because the walls were too thin (and we had a full parking lot), the noise was minimal, if at all. That quietness could be due to the lodging attendees sense of politeness or how exhausted people were when they arrived. Nonetheless, it's only an economy establishment so you should not expect the walls to be a foot deep and sound proof. It's isn't a 5-star hotel, it's a motel, and a good one in my book for economy traveling. In the league it is in--economy--it has to provide what it does best which are the basics, clean rooms, moderate level of comfort, and some (though not perfect) moderation in noise. The view was adequate, the location is excellent in the city being close enough to the embarcadero and the museums. What I am saying is that this is superb as a bargain, economy, no-major frills establishment. They did what they needed to do in an excellent way and, therefore, deserve the best stars for the type of motel it is in format and services. I would use them again as long as Jack runs it.

• Liked — Very clean and nice service. Does what an economy-motel should do.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends