“Skip it”
Review of Motel 6 Morro Bay

Motel 6 Morro Bay
Ranked #28 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My non smoking room smelled so strongly like smoke it was nearly unbearable. The decor and tv in the room was 70's vintage at best. Waking up to a cockroach on my pillow was a special bonus. I am aware this is a budget hotel but come on they must "Leave the Light On" so the roaches scamper away. I've stayed at other Motel 6 properties that were perfectly acceptable but not this one.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HobieCalifornia

Reviewed September 12, 2013

I picked this hotel I knew where it was. I liked price & I could bring my dog. I stayed Sept, 2013. You know with Motel 6 you get a simple room but clean. The staff very friendly from my first call to make the reservation to my second call when I decided to extend my stay. You can walk to the beach. It's not close to walk downtown, but you drive anyway no big deal. I enjoyed the family park behind hotel. Baseball games & enjoyed the activity. It is an older hotel but that's ok. I didn't go for the hotel experience I went for the beach & my dog. I drove lots of places, Avila, Cayucos, Pismo I did all I wanted to. HBO in room enjoyed a movie. I take pride wherever I stay, I brought a sheet to cover their bedspread so dog doesn't get sand on it. All newer cars in parking lot . The experience is what you make of it. I will stay again.

Room Tip: Second floor in back.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We picked the Motel 6 because it looked quite fresh and modern on the website and also had a swimming pool. When we got there we were a little bit disappointed with the location as is on the edge of town and a drive from anywhere decent (though you could walk to the beach in 20 mins or so if you wanted). I cant hold that against the hotel though as we could have seen this on the map. The room was OK if little small and cramped. Old style TV. Adequate bathroom with shower and toilet. Hotel offers complimentary coffee in the morning but no breakfast. No restaurants etc apart from Taco Bell within walking distance.
The problem with the hotel was the noise which I notice other guests have remarked on too. The bathroom fan is very noisy and when the room next door goes to the bathroom you all hear it. To the extent that we did not get a good night's sleep. Bearing in mind we paid $150 for the room (it was a Saturday) we had hoped for better. Was nice that you could see the rock from the balcony outside our room - so would request this if you do book here. But the noise and location would put me off booking again.
Swimming pool was of a good size and appeared to be well maintained. Staff were friendly and helpful ,comping my wi-fi, which is otherwise an extra $2.99. We were also able to use the laundry without queuing.
There is a kid's playground just by the hotel which would be an additional draw if travelling with young children.
Also, although not provided in the room you can borrow a decent hairdryer from reception.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel with a view of the rock.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night in July. The room was clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful, the bed was fine, and we didn't hear any noise from other suites. The cost of the room was quite high at $140/night. We expected to pay less for a motel 6.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and had no issues with noise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is one of the very earliest Motel 6s with an ID number of just 4 but it has been refurbished to typical Motel 6 standards of today.

The good things about this Motel: (1) It is economical (it has a $50 room rate on the weekdays but this doubles on the weekends) and cheaper than nearly all other motels in town (they are at least $60 per night for June weekdays and usually much more). And (2) it was clean.

The so-so thing about this Motel 6 was that it was that the bed was fair (not bad, not great, and typical of the better Motel 6s.)

The not-so-good included some maintenance or design issues. The sink stopper was closed all the time. Water does not drain. What I do not understand is why housekeeping does not report this to management since they clean the sink after guests leave. Or, if they do, why management does not get their maintenance worker to fix the problem. I removed the stopper totally from the sink (gross stuff on the bottom of it) for my stay.

The fan ventilator in the bathroom is wired so it turns on every time you turn the bathroom light on. OK, that can work, although it would be nice to have a separate control. The fan is mounted in the wall, not the ceiling and somehow the plumbing seems to conduct some incredible noise from room to room. When the guest next door to me went to their bathroom for any reason their fan went on and their fan was louder in my room than my own fan! So through the evening (and night) I periodically heard a buzz-saw type sound in my room.

The contract landscaping crew began work in the early morning which kept anyone like me from sleeping in. I don’t understand why the professional landscaping crew could not be scheduled for later in the morning, or the afternoon.

Understand that this Motel 6 is not located “in town”. If you want an “in town” vacation, choose an in-town motel. This Motel 6 is one exit north of the main town of Morro Bay. It is best if you are passing through. It is right off State Route 1 (a freeway in this area) but fortunately it is about 200 yards from the freeway interchange so it is not as noisy as it would be if it was right there. Many rooms on the backside have views of Morro Rock.

Room Tip: Choose a room, of you can, on the backside where it is quieter and you may get a view of Morro Rock.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Road_Rambler59
Reviewed June 17, 2013

After my last stay at a Motel 6 I swore I would never stay at one again; however, we were in town for the Cal Poly graduation and one star hotels were charging $250+. I figured we would only be in the hotel to sleep so I booked it. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The people who worked there could not have been friendlier. We even had of view of Morrow Rock from our room and were very close to the beach. This is a motel 6--no Kleenex, no shampoo, no hair dryer, no pictures on the wall etc. If you spend time in the room and are looking for luxury, this is NOT the place. If you are looking for a clean, relatively inexpensive place to sleep this IS the place!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank love2travelbigtime
Reviewed May 23, 2013

It's a place to crash for the night, nothing more. Conveniently located off Pacific Coast Highway and it's inexpensive. That's the good news. You do get what you pay for. The rooms are very basic and very small. Not even a picture on the wall...which is OK since it's all about sleeping. But other things do matter to me: Beds are on the soft side for my taste. Shower had leak from room above. No coffee in room and not served in office until 7am. No food of any sort available at hotel or within easy walking distance.

All in all, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends