“Nice place to stay, on water and near Embarcadero” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inn at Morro Bay

Inn at Morro Bay
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
San Diego, California
“Nice place to stay, on water and near Embarcadero”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed here in early August 2013, 2 adults and 2 kids (8 & 12). The rooms are nice and clean, as are the bathrooms. The first floor doors open to parked cars, but if you get a room in the 500s just past the cars is the bay. Still a nice view through your window.

We stayed 2 nights and were comfortable and happy with this location. It is about 2 miles from the Embarcadero with lots of restaurants, shopping, etc. The Inn offers a restaurant with lounge and live music on the weekends. It has a wonderful view of the water. We didn't got here, but it looked nice.

The pool is nothing special, but looks nice if you'd like a dip.

We would stay here again and only complaint was the very slow check in process if you arrive at 4pm, be prepared for a line.

Room Tip: The south end of the 500 building is next to a bird rookery - lots of poop on cars.
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

What a terrible waste, I had previously stayed at this hotel 11 years ago and had a lovely stay with a fantastic meal in great a great bar. What a difference time can make, yes room has had a make over with a nice bathroom but everything else is awful especially the bar. Half furnished with old garden furniture (glass on table chipped and dangerous). Many families turned away as no tables available even though there was an empty unused restuarant attached. After a long drive image being told there was no room available for you to have a drink or meal especially when there is nothing else around. Complained to reception staff who could not have cared less !! STAY AWAY

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank alg71

Travelers are raving about these Morro Bay hotels

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Arrived on a dull grey day in August! Yes it happens especially Morro Bay Area. After exploring this lovely town and harbour which teems with bird life and friendly seals went to the hotel. We had opted for a king garden room. Because we had a 1st floor room we had a sea view also. Good large and very private balcony. Could have sat there for hours watching the different birds sweeping by. Bed large and very comfortable. Rooms are lovely and quiet. Nice sized pool although too cold this day to use. We had a meal in the restaurant which has huge panoramic views of he bay. Very friendly staff and excellent fresh cooked food. Good selection of reasonably priced wines. We also had breakfast next day. Large selection of different juices and hot dishes for breakfast. Try the eggs benedict! All in all a very good hotel.

Room Tip: 1st floor to get the view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank graham999Manchester
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed for two nights over the weekend in room 402. Bed was awesome, fireplace was nice and the view was spectacular. The staff was very friendly and kind, willing to help and accommodate any need. Stayed with our six month old twins and had plenty of room for two adults, the kids and the two pack and plays. I will say bathroom counter space is non-existent. In the afternoons the room did get stuffy and we had to keep the doors open but the bay breeze was nice. Many people complain about the bird sanctuary next door. Maybe for some rooms facing it could be a problem. We did not notice them until we went to the parking lot. I plan on staying here again and highly recommend this Inn to anyone planning on staying in Morro Bay. My only regret is not staying longer.

Room Tip: I highly suggest on spending the extra money and getting a partial or full bay view room!
1 Thank jhavay81
La Crescenta, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Morro Bay was our last stop on a 10 day road trip up the California Coast. We planned to stay at the Inn for 2 nights and were looking forward to a relaxing respite from being in the car. With that being said, we arrived at 3:00 pm, and they turned us away for a 4:00 pm check-in. With a 4 and a 6yr old desperate to be out of the car this news was disappointing. Anyway, the room was nicely renovated, but we had a bay view room and it was not what we expected. The room was hot and the ceiling fan was oddly placed over the desk instead of by the windows. The windows had no screens so we had to sleep with the windows literally open (someone could walk right into our room!) so we would not roast all night. No breeze from the bay and during the day the sun beat down on our room. Only a shower, no bath tub, which was not an issue for us, but if you have really small kids this could be an issue. And the final kicker, was all of the bird droppings. My husband quickly realized we needed to move our car or else it would be covered in bird droppings. Overall, the stay was Ok. We checked out a day early b/c the room was uncomfortable and we were not impressed with Morro Bay in general. The pool area is very nice. Ironically, Morro Bay seemed to have good food. Taco Temple is fabulous and definitely worth the wait. We had breakfast at Carla's Country Kitchen which was also really good but ultimately we flew the coop.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a bay view room. Stay in a suite or room around the pool area.
1 Thank Erika A
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in July to escape the unrelenting Central Valley heat. We stayed in the 400 wing near the water. I was pleasantly surprised to find the room newly renovated and found the decor very tasteful. The pluses were that the bed was very comfortable and the room was comfortably spacious. I loved the the way the shower had been redone and found the small tiles on the flooring provided a stable surface to prevent slipping. My husband felt the pressure was too low but I was okay with it. I also loved the vanity mirror lighting in the bathroom. The bathroom was nice and spacious. However, I wish there had been some counter space instead of just the small ledge under the mirror.

The gas fireplace only gave off a small flicker. We've found this is fairly common in other inns. Maybe for safety reasons they are not allowed to turn up the flames.

When we checked in, there were two hotel check in ladies sitting at desks. One was busy with a customer and the other was doing something on the computer. The one on the computer seemed really intent on whatever she was doing and didn't look up and acknowledge me for several minutes which I thought was rude. When the other lady was available, she said she would help me. We were helped by Kayla who provided a good service experience.

We only ate in the restaurant one time, for breakfast. Again, we walked in to be seated but there was no hostess to greet us and the waiters were busy or in the kitchen. Finally one of the waiters lead us to a table. I suggest having a hostess at breakfast. The food was excellent and the waiter we had provided excellent service....wish I could remember his name. We didn't eat dinner there because the menu was limited and pricy. Would have been nice to have more options/price ranges, including options for light eaters.

I hope they replace the chairs in the dining room soon. I did not care for the design and color besides that they are awkward to get in and out of.

Used the hot tub one time and enjoyed it. The temperature was good.

Keep in mind that Morro Bay is bird sanctuary and so it is very likely that you'll get bird do-do on your car while parked. Fortunately, they have a place to rinse your car.

Overall a good stay and would probably return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed here for one night on my way back down the coast with my two kids. Upon trying to check in, I was originally told that there was no reservation in the system for me. I made the reservation a few days before, but my cell phone did not receive any emails (for confirmation) to it for a few days. I was a little panicked because I had already been driving for several hours - but she called the manager over to see what they could do. The manager sat down and found the reservation within a few minutes and gave me our key to a bay view room. I was pleased with the cleanliness of the room, but mostly with the view. We were sitting right in line with the sun going down and we had the perfect view from our room. The hotel was very peaceful and the birds in the trees outside were very cool to watch and listen to. we even had some deer wander out onto the grass area by our room. To me, the room itself was a good value. The room smelled fresh, the bathroom was clean, the beds were comfortable. We didn't eat on the premises because the kids wanted to take the very short drive down to the Embarcadero, but the rest of our stay was great. I am already planning another trip back. The place was very peaceful and the staff was extremely friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family