“Unsatisfactory Experience”

Ranked #15 of 101 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I recently went to breakfast at the Coffee Pot with my wife and my mother-in-law. My wife ordered eggs over easy, potatoes and toast. Her breakfast arrived with part of the egg whites still raw and uncooked, so she sent it back. It was returned on the original plate as egg residue from the first eggs was clearly visible on the plate. Now the eggs were medium cooked and the potatoes were cold. The waitress indicated that my wife should have ordered eggs medium rather than over easy if she wanted them fully cooked. Further, she indicated that she couldn't tell the cooks how to cook an order and neither could the owner, Gordon. Something is clearly amiss here. In my experience it is standard practice to replate orders that have been returned to the kitchen in even the humblest of restaurants. The owner offered to replace the cold potatoes, but my wife declined. The owner made no offer to adjust the bill.

My mother-in-law and I both ordered oatmeal and a muffin. The oatmeal is made on demand using quick cooking rolled oats and included brown sugar, raisins and nuts. The price for the oatmeal plus muffin was eleven dollars. This is the highest price I have paid for oatmeal and I have eaten a lot of oatmeal in restaurants all over the country. Prices reflect what the market will bear, so I can't complain too strenuously on that account.

All in all, on this visit, the restaurant fell short of my expectations concerning service and response to problems that might arise. Reputations matter even in a tourist destination like Morro Bay, so I am very surprised by the owner's response to the problems with my wife's breakfast.

There are newer reviews for Coffee Pot Restaurant

Reviewed October 14, 2010

We tried it out here for breakfast. Heard about the hollandaise sauce and wanted to try it. We were told 5-10 min to get seated. It took much longer than that. Fine - but the food and service is what really made this place terrible.

All of our food was cold when It finally got to the table. My dad ordered the corned beef hash, it was rotten, spoiled... it tasted awful... like cat food that was left out for days. I couldnt believed they served that. The food had no taste and was cold. The waitress was never to be seen. We never got refills and the coffee tasted like an ashtray. When we got the bill, I couldnt believe it was over $80 for 5 people for BREAKFAST!! and they charged me $5 for one biscuit with gravy... ONE. I visit Morro Bay often and this is one place I will NEVER go back to and I will make sure to warn my friends and family to avoid going there.

So terrible! We even talked to the other waitress and she said the food was terrible and that she wont even eat there. When the waitress says that, thats pretty bad!

Reviewed September 25, 2010

My husband and I ate here once for breakfast while staying in Morro Bay. They have a typical breakfast menu and the food was good. I liked the atmosphere which included a number of coffee pots and other collectibles that the owner had acquired. Service was also fine. The owner was present and seemed like a nice man. He has authored a book about his life as a Chinese orphan called "Double Luck." I decided to buy the book which is sold at the restaurant and enjoyed reading it. It is such an amazing story! Would definitely recommend not only the restaurant but also his book.

2  Thank MSWMom50
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I Love Morro Bay and the owner of this place is a very interresting guy - However- If the owner himself is not present - good luck getting any decent service! They have 1 waitress - she has an attitude. Forget coffee refills - good luck getting your First cup! Don't ask for anything to be altered from the menu - They have bread, they have cheese, they have a hot grill that starts first thing in the morning - will they make a grilled cheese sandwich?? Hell no! - Wait till 11 when they serve lunch then pay$10 for a grilled ham and cheese and beg them to hold the ham - they MIGHT do it then IF they feel like it. Coffee is luke warm and has the full bodied flavor of a weak tea. - If there is any other resturant open in town - GO There and AVOID THIS PLACE! 2 cups of weak, tasteless coffee and a soda will run you over $5 - and will take you 10 min to get even when there are only 3 other customers in the whole place.
Save yourself a morning of frustration - Find somewhere else to eat where they care about their customers. In fact The coffee at McDonalds is Horrible and is Still better than here! Save the money - go to McD's get a decent breakfast be treated better there! and basically have the Same view of the ocean... which is None. For a waterfront resturant The Coffee Pot has NOTHING to offer but high prices, poor service and lousy coffee!

Reviewed May 5, 2010

The linguica omelette was bland and had very little (if any) linguica. I had to add a ton of pepper just to eat any of it. The potatoes OBrien had no bell peppers or onions. The few that were not burnt were dry and awful. Definately NOT worth $9.95!