“old not cute, not quaint, dirty run down”
Review of Holland Inn

Holland Inn
Holland Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Morro Bay B&B and Inns
San Bernardino
“old not cute, not quaint, dirty run down”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is the WORST hotel I have EVER stayed at. Old, run down, dirty, no a/c (yes its technically coastal area so maybe they think its okay not to have a/c but it is humid & sticky) avoid at all costs. Just walking in felt dirty, and I'm not that picky. The bedding looks like its from the 60's and not in a cute way. Upon arrival: first, at almost 4 in the afternoon, none of the rooms are ready, and the owners are rude. Second, when you book online on priceline and then arrive, they magically increase the price. Third, they say pet friendly but we were charged $30 extra dollars for our pets, had I had known this, I would have booked a better hotel with the extra $ that didn't charge for pets such as the motel 6 we stayed at in ventua beach or the Travelodge we stayed at in Lompoc. Needs SERIOUS updating but I doubt the owners will update as they seem money hungry and don't care if their customers are satisfied.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank shell2121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We've stayed here on many occasions and it's been a little more than a year this time around. Most times using coupons out of RoomSaver Mags. This time the indie mamma-san says no queen beds only king so we pay more... OK.

Room was familiar from another visit. Smelled a little stale. Location is OK for convenient travel but not for walking to local attractions. Heater didn't work so the manager comes in and puts the T-stat all the way up and the gas on low. Says "Don't touch it and it'll work... OK.

Room is close to the office and was a bit noisy before midnight. Walls are thin and we hear everything in Spanish from some loud neighbors. There's a crew cab outside and we get the impression that there's enough people next door to occupy every seat belt, tramping out that room... maybe more... But the internet was way better this time. OK.

While sleeping the bed was big and cozy but I wake up a few times and my pillow smells like smoke. I notice early in the morning that the pillow on my side of the bed has a different colored pillow case from the nice white sheets the rest of the bed has... so I wrote this review, wishing we would have checked elsewhere, and next time we will. I'm a little grossed out now... Uggh!

Oh yeah... We checked in on April 15, 2013 and it's freaking windy and cold outside. Morro Bay is cool... Waaay cool... Toooo C-c-c-cool... OK.

We paid a three star price for a motel that's approaching more one vs. two star status. I hear there's a nice room here with a fireplace, but we've never seen it.

Good places go bad and bad places go bankrupt. We'll go someplace else on our next visit. We love this town, but in the peak season you maybe better checking out Fly BnB or Craigslist as prices get dear on the budget end. Better yet to bring real money and stay in one of the more upscale locations.

Room Tip: Check in early, or check in elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UnionSparky

Travelers are raving about these Morro Bay hotels

Southern California
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'd read the reviews...but still needed an affordable place for the night so gave it a shot. First, the pics of the family room and the actual room are two different things. Queen beds? No, I sleep on a queen every night and these were not. When asked about it the front desk person swore they were...umm, no. There was no couch, as in the pics, just two small joined rooms. Yes, the place is old, but that doesn't bother me. It was clean. The water in the shower was manic. Super hot...no, cold...no, hot. Couldn't decide what it wanted to be so I jumped around a lot and suggested everyone else that they wait for home to take a shower. Bad gas smell when we turned the heater on...so I turned it off and told them the next morning. We aired out and survived. :-). Continental breakfast started at 8, so if you had an early start forget it. We went and looked at it, and I swear I'm not that picky, but we decided to forego the paltry samplings. Even skipped the coffee. So, I guess other than it's clean and the people were OK to deal with - oh, and we all slept fine, I can't think of anything good about the place. And this is probably the first poor review I've ever given anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Hopnrocks
Monrovia, California
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I wrote a review last year when my family and I stayed at this place - somehow the review disappeared - let's see if it stays this time around.
In short, the Holland Inn just wasn't worth the hassle and disappointment we found when staying there. From the bedding, to the showers, to the supposed wi-fi, to the phones, to the indifferent service you get.....all of it will leave a bitter taste. Go somewhere else....go ANYWHERE else. Yes yes the other places in Morro and Cayucos are a bit more expensive but it's definitely worth paying a little bit more and not having to worry about cleanliness and poor service.
The Holland Inn may as well call itself a "by the hour" type of establishment - that's the level of cleanliness and attitude you will get.
It's laughable that there is a "Diamond Certified" AAA plaque behind the check out counter. I'm sure it's a fake, or belonged to the previous owners....AAA would surely not classify this place as diamond level.
Don't be fooled by the pics...don't believe me and all of the other posts? Call them and ask them anything about their place....anything at all....it'll take just 20 seconds for their impatience to come through and you'll get a true taste of what's waiting for you if you book there.
You've been warned.

Room Tip: Simple - don't go here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank ScottP2013
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We spent one night at this hotel while visiting our daughter at Cal Poly.
We checked in late. My problem was that the room was poorly maintained. The bathrooms tile floor had cracks , and it was a narrow room. The coffee maker had
coffee grinds in the water well. I did not see new coffee in the room .
The bed was uneven and not firm, but worst of all the pillow cases were so thin that you could smell the old stinky pillow below. This just grossed me out. Also, it seemed like the sound between the rooms was not insulated because people in the next unit came in late and we could here them. The noise off of highway 1 was not too bad. We had a unit furthest from the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank JLow4
Fresno, California
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and two kids and I came to Morro Bay for a few days of relaxation. We booked one night ahead at the Holland Inn. They stated check in time was 2 pm. Well we arrived at 2 .. as we got to the desk , we could see that no body was there , after a few moments a man came out of a room where he had been eating etc. and began checking us in. He stated the room will not be ready for 30 minute. ok. we werent too happy but we went for a drive around came back well after the time aloted. Room .. not ready for ahwile. My husband asked him why,, he stated well we have one maid and she is behind. He told the man well this is not my problem because you should take care of that as a business this is not good. He said well customer should be patient.. what???? then he offered us another room but it would be 15 dollars more.. are u kidding me? He should give us that room for the same jprice as we have been waiting and will still have to wait. ... He does not care about standards.... I saw the rooms they dont look clean.. I would never ever recommend this ever.... dont bother.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Raelynn A
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Older motel-like place with parking in center, 1 king bed in smaller room, off of Hwy 1, free simple breakfast, free in-room Wi-Fi, free parking, fridge, microwave, coffee machine, about 1 mile to harbor & restaurants, nice and clean for the price but not fancy and some motel and highway noises (not too bad at night), can see Morro Rock

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple