“Wonderful Meal in a great little town!”

Windows on the Water
Ranked #4 of 107 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on the water in the Morro Bay, Windows on the Water celebrates the finest the Central Coast of California has to offer. Fresh, local and sustainable ingredients, an extensive wine and beer list of local and international labels, the best in local musicians each Monday, Thursday and Saturday night, and arguably the most dramatic view on the coast. Join us in the bar for a drink and bar specials and dinner nightly from our menu created by our award-winning executive chef, Neil Smith.
Reviewed August 7, 2018

We booked a room in Morro Bay at the last minute. As we were wandering around downtown after a day up hiking in Big Sur, we found this place and decided to eat dinner here. We were VERY underdressed for this type of restaurant (still had hiking clothes on), but the staff didn't bat an eye and led us to a table (in a back corner to hide us maybe?) overlooking the water. We got to watch a spectacular sunset over Morro Rock as we ate dinner. This meal was my favorite of our 8 day trip. Everything everyone ordered was fantastic. I'm a big creme brûlée fan and they had a smoked butterscotch flavor which was fabulous and made me a fan for life!

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Opens at five and there is usually a line. Make reservations!! The food is fabulous. This is a place for sea food. limited menu but everything is very good.

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

We came here to celebrate a special event and wanted a nice restaurant with a view. Windows on the Water seemed to fit the bill. The maitre de was very welcoming and immediately escorted us to a lovely window table overlooking the bay. The waitress was also welcoming, knowledgeable and friendly.

Our problem was with the rigid inflexibility of the chef. I was looking forward to a fish dinner but I dislike wilted spinach and eggplant. I asked if I could substitute for one of the other sides they were making that day. Our waitress checked but the chef refused. On the menu was a whole fish dish with sides that I would enjoy but a fish with a head on it makes me squeamish.Sadly, the chef is unwilling to remove the head before serving. I asked if we could order the daily special entree ( swordfish) without the appetizer and dessert. We were told “no.” I ended up settling for a beef dish because of their refusal to make ANY accommodations. This is very atypical for high priced restaurants.The ego of this chef is shocking. Each dish is only prepared in the manner he thinks it should be served. Food preferences of the patrons are not considered. If you decide to dine here, this philosophy needs to be taken into account. Normally I appreciate and enjoy food pairings. However, I will never enjoy wilted spinach and was shocked at the inflexibility shown here.

Our menu stated it was Martini Monday so we decided to have a martini with our appetizers and wine with our main course. That wasn’t allowed either. The martini special could only be ordered and drank in the bar. This is an open venue so you can see the bar area from our table. We asked if we could bring the martini back to our table to enjoy the view and appetizers but learned that too is unacceptable.

The salad we had was overdressed and took away from the flavor of the greens. I would suggest asking for the dressing on the side ( if the chef permits that.) The clam chowder was different but delicious. It was a broth based chowder with no thickening agents. It allowed the richness of the clams to come through. It may not be for everyone if you enjoy a thick, creamy soup. My husband had the scallops and they were cooked to perfection. However, the chili sauce it came with was overpowering and the polenta bland and grainy. My steak was closer to rare than medium rare. The center was cool to the touch. It needed a little more time to reach medium rare. Also, hanger steaks are a cheaper cut of meat and have coarse muscle fibers as compared to rib eye or filet.

All in all, despite the amazing view and friendly wait staff, it is easy to understand why this is only scored #4 on Trip advisor. Incidentally the #1 restaurant in Moro Bay lets you select the sides you want. If you are okay with giving a chef control of every aspect of your meal, this place will work. However, study the menu carefully as there is no flexibility.

Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

This place is probably the most upscale restaurant in Morro Bay. It was recommended to us by the manager of the Condo I rented. We were walking by and saw the sign for Martini Monday's, and it was Monday, we just rolled into town, so our dinner decision was made. The special at the bar only 4.95 for any of the Martinis on their list. These are NOT the skimpy ones either! We met some nice people at the bar and chatted for a time, the went to our view table. All of the tables have a great view, not a bad seat in the house. I had the abalone appetizer, it was pricy, but very tasty. I had the Asian inspired Ahi that was original and delicious. Service at bar and table helpful and friendly. Will be our first choice when we come back.

Reviewed June 7, 2018

Incredible sunset view! They accommodated a vegetarian diet an everything served was scrumptious! Waitress was engaging and super friendly!