“THE place to go for fine dining in Morro Bay”

Windows on the Water
Ranked #5 of 107 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located on the water in the Morro Bay, Windows on the Water celebrates the finest the Central Coast of California has to offer. Fresh, local and sustainable ingredients, an extensive wine and beer list of local and international labels, the best in local musicians each Monday, Thursday and Saturday night, and arguably the most dramatic view on the coast. Join us in the bar for a drink and bar specials and dinner nightly from our menu created by our award-winning executive chef, Neil Smith.
Reviewed April 19, 2018

Windows on the Water is THE place to go for fine dining in Morro Bay. It’s pricier than most of the other establishments in town, but well worth it.

First, there's the location: it sits on the upper level of the embarcadero and overlooks the bay and Morro Rock (sunsets are particularly beautiful, with boats moored in the bay in the foreground and the Rock looming across the water - just make sure to ask for a window table when making reservations, because it can get very busy).

Second, the food and service are top-notch: the menu is not too extensive, but this is because the owners source locally and change the menu with the seasons; the wine list showcases many local wines and leans heavily on California selections, but other wines are also available. The food is beautifully presented, as well. My partner and I have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. Favourites include the mushroom risotto, the pan-seared Diver scallops, the local sand dabs and the grilled rack of lamb. Salads are great and they also have a wood-fired oven for pizza if that’s your craving, and an oyster bar that features many different varieties (Tuesday is 75-cent oyster night and usually has people lined up at the door 15-20 minutes before the 5:00 PM opening - be warned!)

Reviewed April 10, 2018 via mobile

This was a return visit with friends from the local area. Our first visit was so enjoyable, we eagerly made reservations for another birthday dinner. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a disappointment. My husband's halibut was dry, the spinach looked and tasted like it was out of a can, and the stewed tomatoes had no flavor. I had the scallops, which were ok, but the polenta was cold and clumped together like cold grits. If I'm going to spend money on an expensive meal, it should be excellent or at least, very good, that wasn't the case last night.

1  Thank Linda C
WindowsGM, General Manager at Windows on the Water, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2018

Dear Linda,

I want to sincerely apologize for the unacceptable meal you were served at our restaurant. Providing our guests with high quality, delicious food is one of our highest priorities. I am very sorry that your meal did not live up to the level of quality that our guests have come to expect from our restaurant.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback is extremely important and will help us correct the situation that allowed food that was not up to our standards to be served.

While I cannot change the past, I would like to invite you back as my personal guest so that we can show you that we really can do a much better job than what you experienced. Please email me directly at paul@windowsmb.com

Once again, please accept our sincere apology and thank you for letting us know about this incident.

Best regards,

Paul Merkle
Windows on the Water

Reviewed April 6, 2018

Beautiful Restaurant and view. Throuroughly enjoyed me Swordfish, it's presentation and the wine pairing. Great evening!

Reviewed April 2, 2018

Great views of the bay. Be sure to reserve a window table. Seafood is great. One of my party had a flat iron steak unlike any I have ever seen, looked like a filet, sliced like a roast, and my taste was very tasty.

Unusual abalone medallion salad but just a teaser not a meal.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

If you go for the atmosphere alone, you will not be disappointed. A little on the pricey side, but well worth the price. Perfect for a first Anniversary or any Anniversary dinner. A great selection of wines to make the meal perfect. Give it a try during Restaurant Month (January) and splurge for the wine flight with the meal.