“Best Place in Morro Bay to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Masterpiece Hotel
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Best Place in Morro Bay to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

My husband and i stayed in Morro Bay on our way to San Francisco and we couldnt have been more pleased! The front desk staff was incredible and so helpful. Anything we asked them they had the answer to. They told us about Windows on the Water which was a place on the waterfront we went for dinner. They had great food. The rooms are big and extremely clean. Thats something you dont always find. The Masterpiece is only 3 blocks from the waterfront so we enjoyed a nice walk in the evening. When we got back they were having their wine and cheese hour which was a sweet suprise! We had a room with a fireplace but thats not the best part! The beds at this place are Amazing! Very comfy and i slept better than i have in a long time. They also have a Jaccuzzi that is HUGE! I could have stayed in it all night. We really liked this place and will surely be back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank sunshine_deann1
LouisBartield, Louis Bartfield, Owner at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
Dear Ms. Sunshine,

Thank you for the five stars. I’m delighted you had a good time, and yes, my wife and I have eaten at Windows often, wonderful view and atmosphere, very romantic. I hope they give us a plug too. I notice you did an Escape from LA, did Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn come with you? … Kidding. I’m grateful for your review, and yes we focus on the little things, but I believe a good bed and a good front desk and housekeeping (yes, yes) staff is critical. Please visit us again.
Louis Bartfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Sacramento, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

The mattress alone is worth the trip. Soooooo comfy. A bed and breakfast atmosphere with tons more privacy. View from room are just beautiful. A place we go to year after year. Management is wonderful. Staff during day hours in December 2009 was not good. He was not customer service oriented and was not very good in that position. If this was only my first visit here I would have not been returning. Fortunately this was only one dissapointing time out of many many good experiences. I look forward to coming back every year. Anyone who says different is just overly picky or just likes to complain.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
Hello Oceantravel2,

We are very grateful for your kind comments. And, of course, the bed is Sooooo comfy. It had better be because I stay there myself when I can get down there, and I hope to drive to LA soon to visit my brother and a friend, who is recovering from surgery, and who once spent a few days with me in Morro Bay, where he had two drinks and couldn’t see straight, so I had to do the driving. My wife is the one who always complains about a bad mattress, so this is probably our highest priority in each of our motels. We have spoken to the staff member who was not as kind as he should have been, and we hope your experience in the future will thumbs up for everything and everyone.

Castaic, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2009

My wife and I stayed Fri & Sat night after Thanksgiving for a quick getaway. We usually stay in SLO but wanted a change. It was last minute and I chose El Morro from reading all the reviews. I must say, I was a little taken back by our room (#101). It was on the first floor facing the street. Only had single pane glass so street noise is quite prevalent; so was the noise from room above. The room is large but dated. The part that bothered me the most was the carpet was visibly dirty, "grungy" I think the word is. Bathroom was very decent though. I think if I stay in Morro Bay again, I will check out along the Embarcadero.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PRitt07
LouisBartield, Owner at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
Hello Pritt07,

I am very sorry you were in a room that w as close to the street, and the noise was bothersome. This is a fact of the Masterpiece, some rooms are at the street, and I wish the windows were soundproof. Nobody has ever mentioned that before, and it is an idea to explore at some time. “Grungy carpet”? Ouch! We will fix this. OK, if you want to check out the Embarcadero next time, I’m warning you, the seals bark so loudly all night, you’ll wish you were at the Indy 500. Give us another chance, and thank you.

Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

We stayed here for one night while driving up the PCH. Nice motel! We had a room with a fireplace and balcony. Not a great ocean view, but you can see the water and Morro Rock. The wine and cheese in the lobby from 5-7 was a great addition. The hot tub was nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. Just a couple of blocks to walk to a neat area with plenty of options for dining and shipping on the bay. I wish we could have stayed more than one evening. Only negative was the lack of air conditioning. But they do have ceiling fans and desk fans are available at the front desk. We opened the screen door and had a nice breeze and the room was comfortable.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘Great Stay’,

I decided to use that for your user name because I wanted to linger over your nice comment. You are from Tennessee, one of my best friends in the army was from Chattanooga which is almost as hard to spell as Tennessee, which is as hard to spell as Mississippi, I call it the Indian’s Revenge. Actually, I believe Tennessee is one of the most beautiful places in the world, at least it was over forty years ago when I was there. And I am one of the few people in the world who know there is a Savannah, Tenn. Thank you for the four stars, and as to your comment about the AC, well, it’s usually not too hot in Morro Bay, but yes, we do have fans. Just like back home. Thank you and come again, and I’m sure when you drove the PCH, you realized it is one of the miracle highways in the world.

Very truly yours, especially for the five stars for value and rooms.

Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

We stayed for one night as part of a California drive holiday, and really enjoyed our stay at the El Morro.
Much more than a 'motel', we were treated graciously from check in, and treated to free wine and cheese on arrival.
I booked a 'deluxe' room, which had a great view of Morro Rock and was really spacious and elegant. The fitness room was great, and i made full use of it. I didn't have time to use the spa, but it looked really nice.
I would highly recommend the El Morro.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello Backbeat-7 from Manchester,

Thank you for the 5 stars for value, rooms, location, cleanliness. Oops, only 4 stars for the location. Well, yes, we are not on the water, but it is healthy to walk a couple of blocks or so once in a while. Or, if you prefer, a quick hop in your car and there is usually parking available near the waterfront. I’m sorry you didn’t have time to use the Spa, but at least you saw it, and know that it’s even more spacious and beautiful than it looks on our website. It is something we designed and built and we take great pride in its beauty and practicality because it’s so large, and easy to get into and out of. I always use it myself when I go down there. I hope you return, and send us some of your friends. I was in Manchester many many years ago when I was stationed in an army encampment outside of the city, and was able to get in from time to time. It was a long time ago, and I remembered it as a heavily industrial city with air pollution problems. But I imagine much of that has been corrected. T hanks again, Sometimes when I write a response I know it sounds like I have been many places, and I have. Part of this was in WW11, when I was in England, France, Belgium, Holland, Luxemburg, Czechoslovakia, and couple of small provincial areas I have never heard of, and my wife and I have done a lot of traveling. So, part of the upside of that, is that I think I know what a traveler values most, and try to provide it .

stockton, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

My daughter & I travelled to Morro Bay for a mother/daughter trip. She loves the ocean and wanted to go to Morro Bay & Pismo Beach. We read about this motel and booked our trip. It was more than we expected. The room was large, the beds are very comfortable, the continental breakfast is more like a buffet, and happy hour was enjoyable. We went into the fitness room and worked out, and also enjoyed the pool. We will return, and have recommended it to friends who have since enjoyed their stay also.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2009

We were very disappointed with this hotel. The artwork was "interesting" and the picture in our room very sexual...the sheets were pink...haven't seen that since Niagra Falls 20 years ago..my kids were a bit freaked...and there was no elevator, so we had to lug our bags up a long flight of stairs. We arrived around 8:30pm and all restaurants were closed...in August???? Ate at a small taco diner that was ok.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family