All reviewswine and cheeseroman spasmall gymworkout roomspa poolcontinental breakfastsparkling apple ciderno elevatoreach eveningmorro rockhot tubwafflesceiling fanstayed here for two nightssecond floornice viewroom was large
Reviewed February 14, 2010

The mattress alone is worth the trip. Soooooo comfy. A bed and breakfast atmosphere with tons more privacy. View from room are just beautiful. A place we go to year after year. Management is wonderful. Staff during day hours in December 2009 was not good. He was not customer service oriented and was not very good in that position. If this was only my first visit here I would have not been returning. Fortunately this was only one dissapointing time out of many many good experiences. I look forward to coming back every year. Anyone who says different is just overly picky or just likes to complain.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
LouisBartield, Louis Bartfield, Owner at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2010

Hello Oceantravel2,

We are very grateful for your kind comments. And, of course, the bed is Sooooo comfy. It had better be because I stay there myself when I can get down there, and I hope to drive to LA soon to visit my brother and a friend, who is recovering from surgery, and who once spent a few days with me in Morro Bay, where he had two drinks and couldn’t see straight, so I had to do the driving. My wife is the one who always complains about a bad mattress, so this is probably our highest priority in each of our motels. We have spoken to the staff member who was not as kind as he should have been, and we hope your experience in the future will thumbs up for everything and everyone.

Reviewed December 5, 2009

My wife and I stayed Fri & Sat night after Thanksgiving for a quick getaway. We usually stay in SLO but wanted a change. It was last minute and I chose El Morro from reading all the reviews. I must say, I was a little taken back by our room (#101). It was on the first floor facing the street. Only had single pane glass so street noise is quite prevalent; so was the noise from room above. The room is large but dated. The part that bothered me the most was the carpet was visibly dirty, "grungy" I think the word is. Bathroom was very decent though. I think if I stay in Morro Bay again, I will check out along the Embarcadero.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PRitt07
LouisBartield, Owner at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2010

Hello Pritt07,

I am very sorry you were in a room that w as close to the street, and the noise was bothersome. This is a fact of the Masterpiece, some rooms are at the street, and I wish the windows were soundproof. Nobody has ever mentioned that before, and it is an idea to explore at some time. “Grungy carpet”? Ouch! We will fix this. OK, if you want to check out the Embarcadero next time, I’m warning you, the seals bark so loudly all night, you’ll wish you were at the Indy 500. Give us another chance, and thank you.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

We stayed here for one night while driving up the PCH. Nice motel! We had a room with a fireplace and balcony. Not a great ocean view, but you can see the water and Morro Rock. The wine and cheese in the lobby from 5-7 was a great addition. The hot tub was nice and the bed was extremely comfortable. Just a couple of blocks to walk to a neat area with plenty of options for dining and shipping on the bay. I wish we could have stayed more than one evening. Only negative was the lack of air conditioning. But they do have ceiling fans and desk fans are available at the front desk. We opened the screen door and had a nice breeze and the room was comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear ‘Great Stay’,

I decided to use that for your user name because I wanted to linger over your nice comment. You are from Tennessee, one of my best friends in the army was from Chattanooga which is almost as hard to spell as Tennessee, which is as hard to spell as Mississippi, I call it the Indian’s Revenge. Actually, I believe Tennessee is one of the most beautiful places in the world, at least it was over forty years ago when I was there. And I am one of the few people in the world who know there is a Savannah, Tenn. Thank you for the four stars, and as to your comment about the AC, well, it’s usually not too hot in Morro Bay, but yes, we do have fans. Just like back home. Thank you and come again, and I’m sure when you drove the PCH, you realized it is one of the miracle highways in the world.

Very truly yours, especially for the five stars for value and rooms.

Reviewed October 21, 2009

We stayed for one night as part of a California drive holiday, and really enjoyed our stay at the El Morro.
Much more than a 'motel', we were treated graciously from check in, and treated to free wine and cheese on arrival.
I booked a 'deluxe' room, which had a great view of Morro Rock and was really spacious and elegant. The fitness room was great, and i made full use of it. I didn't have time to use the spa, but it looked really nice.
I would highly recommend the El Morro.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Hello Backbeat-7 from Manchester,

Thank you for the 5 stars for value, rooms, location, cleanliness. Oops, only 4 stars for the location. Well, yes, we are not on the water, but it is healthy to walk a couple of blocks or so once in a while. Or, if you prefer, a quick hop in your car and there is usually parking available near the waterfront. I’m sorry you didn’t have time to use the Spa, but at least you saw it, and know that it’s even more spacious and beautiful than it looks on our website. It is something we designed and built and we take great pride in its beauty and practicality because it’s so large, and easy to get into and out of. I always use it myself when I go down there. I hope you return, and send us some of your friends. I was in Manchester many many years ago when I was stationed in an army encampment outside of the city, and was able to get in from time to time. It was a long time ago, and I remembered it as a heavily industrial city with air pollution problems. But I imagine much of that has been corrected. T hanks again, Sometimes when I write a response I know it sounds like I have been many places, and I have. Part of this was in WW11, when I was in England, France, Belgium, Holland, Luxemburg, Czechoslovakia, and couple of small provincial areas I have never heard of, and my wife and I have done a lot of traveling. So, part of the upside of that, is that I think I know what a traveler values most, and try to provide it .

Reviewed October 9, 2009

My daughter & I travelled to Morro Bay for a mother/daughter trip. She loves the ocean and wanted to go to Morro Bay & Pismo Beach. We read about this motel and booked our trip. It was more than we expected. The room was large, the beds are very comfortable, the continental breakfast is more like a buffet, and happy hour was enjoyable. We went into the fitness room and worked out, and also enjoyed the pool. We will return, and have recommended it to friends who have since enjoyed their stay also.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family