“Enjoyed this Hotel many times”
Review of Masterpiece Hotel

Masterpiece Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 23, 2006

I have stayed at the Masterpiece Hotel many times. I really like it. Its very cozy. They have clean comfortable rooms with nice beds, soft sheets, and a nice showerhead. My favorite rooms are the ones upstairs with fireplace and partial view deck. I like being able to leave the slider open at night and hear the water. The staff are always friendly and very helpful. The wine and cheese hour is a nice touch.
I like the location. Its a bit of a walk to the Embaradeo but I have found that its really touristy down there. I enjoy the shops on Main st. and Morro Bay Blvd. better. They have a lot of fun stuff. Every time I go back to Morro bay I find something new. Its a great place to take some time off in.

• Stayed: November 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed February 12, 2006

My family and I stayed two nights during the holidays at the Morro Masterpiece and we were pleasantly surprised. The artwork in the halls was really a treat and we were given a piece of paper with a key naming the painting and artist. We enjoyed a nice continental breakfast and at night there was wine, cheese and crackers. The staff was helpful and pleasant. The rooms were clean and the beds were more than adequate. The jacuzzi was large and beautiful. We took a trip to Hearst Castle and the rest of the time relaxed at Morro Bay.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank TGann
California
Reviewed January 29, 2006

We went to Morro Bay as a spontaneous weekend get-away. So we did not have hotel reservations. Unfortunantly we decided on a hotel that we saw as soon as we got into town called the Masterpiece hotel.
When we first saw the room it seemed okay, but a bit overpriced. We wanted a room with a jacuzzi tub, so we paid. The Tub was filthy, we had to clean it out before we used it. The curtains and ceiling fan were so dusty that when we turned on the fan, dust bunnies literally fell on us (the fan was over the bed) so that left us with dirt on the bed.
We managed to try to enjoy the stay regardless, but when we mentioned the room to the check out girl she shrugged and said "sorry, we haven't had any complaints before".

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 12, 2006

We loved this hotel. Nice pillow top beds, close proximity to anything and a good price. Only drawback was the view. But we were not there to gaze out the windows, only there to sleep. The roman spa was great also. Will go there again.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank Txsbigfoot
Davis
Reviewed December 4, 2005

What a wonderful surprise! We have been to Morro Bay many times and have driven past the Masterpiece always saying, "we should stay there" but we just assumed it was out of our price range. this time, we decided to splurge and to our surprise, the rate was cheaper than what we paid at the econo lodge! and... we got the best service, a very clean room, great ambiance, great everything actually! do yourself a favor next time your in Morro Bay and stay at the El Morro Masterpiece! we love it there!

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 19, 2005

I had a business trip to the San Luis Obispo area, which is just abot 7 miles from Morro Bay, so opted to stay there as I love being near the sea. I had seen the El Moro several time in the past but had not stayed. This time, I did, and was quite pleased. The "masterpiece" theme is carried out all over the motel, with prints of famous works of art in guest rooms as well as in the halls.

My room was large, with a comfy king sized bed and a roomy sofa. Microwav, fridge and coffee maker were nice touches. The luxe mattres really did feel wonderful, which helped get me to sleep (I don't always sleep well away from home) along with the distant, soothing sound of the harbor's foghorn. My room was spotless and the housekeeping staff was very thorough.

Wine and cheese were served in the evenings, a nice touch, as the nights were chilly despite the unseasonably warm days. The breakfast buffet included cereals, toast and muffin options, pastries, fruit and juice, plus beverages, and was available to take to your room or eat in the lounge area.

The Roman Spa was great---it reminded me very much of the indoor pool at nearby Hearst Castle, and it was nicely sized. It's not as big as a swimming pool, but it certainly is larger and nicer than my apartment's hot tub (it seats eleven) and the temprature was just right. After several long walks around town and the harbor, I appreciated it!

The staff was gracious and helpful, with everything from recommeding places to eat to getting me an iron to looking for the eyeglasses I thought I had left behind (thankuly, I had not!). Having read many of the reviews, I was surprised at what was said, though I know you cannot please everyone. Yes, the inn is NOT on the water, but the embarcadero is a short stroll away, and to be honest, some of the other motels in the immediate vicinity did not look as nice, no matter what the price. There was plenty of parking, but I was visiting in the off season (November) so cannot speak to the summer crowds. The spa was open till 9:30 pm each night, and I know because I used it.

To be honest, when patrons expect the amenities of a 5 star hotel no matter where they stay, they are bound to be disappointed. If you MUST stay on the water, you will either pay alot for the privelege, or get a "bargain" you may not have expected(I saw the police at one of the "bargain" motels one night). After all, the sights and amenities of the town of Morro Bay are just a short walk away from your room! I felt completely safe at the EL Moro (as a woman travelling alone, that is important) and will happily stay there again next time I am in the area.

10  Thank Kittygal
Reviewed October 23, 2005

Yes, the beds are wonderful. Yes, the walls are thin, you can hear other guests. Yes, the parking is tight. Yes, the "artwork" is kinda corny. The place is much more boutique European hotel than motel. Nice California Spanish exterior decor. Easy access from freeway.

The staff is just incredibly pleasant. The evening cheese and wine is a nice touch and the breakfast is one step above the usual Danish and coffee. I stayed in #103 which was clean, large and nicely furnished with "Laura Ashley" decor. The spa pool is much bigger than usually found, but still smaller than appearing in pictures. I don't think any of the rooms have a view so if this is important you need a hotel closer to the beachfront. They turn on some kind of classical music during the breakfast time. This music can be heard throughout the hotel. If you want to sleep in, too bad. I would stay again but would prefer a second floor corner room due to noise issues. They have a $69 internet price offer which apparently is capacity controlled. If you can get it, then this motel is a good buy.

• Stayed: October 2005