Comfort Inn Morro Bay(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$159
456 Embarcadero Inn & Suites(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$149
$109
Sundown Inn(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$89
Harbor House Inn(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$79
Best Western Tradewinds(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$120
Blue Sail Inn(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$166
Beach Bungalow Inn and Suites(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$129
Bayfront Inn(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$128
All reviewswine and cheeseroman spasmall gymworkout roomspa poolcontinental breakfastno elevatorsparkling apple cidereach eveningmorro rockhard boiled eggshot tubwafflesceiling fanstayed here for two nightssecond floornice view
Reviewed November 19, 2005

I had a business trip to the San Luis Obispo area, which is just abot 7 miles from Morro Bay, so opted to stay there as I love being near the sea. I had seen the El Moro several time in the past but had not stayed. This time, I did, and was quite pleased. The "masterpiece" theme is carried out all over the motel, with prints of famous works of art in guest rooms as well as in the halls.

My room was large, with a comfy king sized bed and a roomy sofa. Microwav, fridge and coffee maker were nice touches. The luxe mattres really did feel wonderful, which helped get me to sleep (I don't always sleep well away from home) along with the distant, soothing sound of the harbor's foghorn. My room was spotless and the housekeeping staff was very thorough.

Wine and cheese were served in the evenings, a nice touch, as the nights were chilly despite the unseasonably warm days. The breakfast buffet included cereals, toast and muffin options, pastries, fruit and juice, plus beverages, and was available to take to your room or eat in the lounge area.

The Roman Spa was great---it reminded me very much of the indoor pool at nearby Hearst Castle, and it was nicely sized. It's not as big as a swimming pool, but it certainly is larger and nicer than my apartment's hot tub (it seats eleven) and the temprature was just right. After several long walks around town and the harbor, I appreciated it!

The staff was gracious and helpful, with everything from recommeding places to eat to getting me an iron to looking for the eyeglasses I thought I had left behind (thankuly, I had not!). Having read many of the reviews, I was surprised at what was said, though I know you cannot please everyone. Yes, the inn is NOT on the water, but the embarcadero is a short stroll away, and to be honest, some of the other motels in the immediate vicinity did not look as nice, no matter what the price. There was plenty of parking, but I was visiting in the off season (November) so cannot speak to the summer crowds. The spa was open till 9:30 pm each night, and I know because I used it.

To be honest, when patrons expect the amenities of a 5 star hotel no matter where they stay, they are bound to be disappointed. If you MUST stay on the water, you will either pay alot for the privelege, or get a "bargain" you may not have expected(I saw the police at one of the "bargain" motels one night). After all, the sights and amenities of the town of Morro Bay are just a short walk away from your room! I felt completely safe at the EL Moro (as a woman travelling alone, that is important) and will happily stay there again next time I am in the area.

10  Thank Kittygal
Reviewed October 23, 2005

Yes, the beds are wonderful. Yes, the walls are thin, you can hear other guests. Yes, the parking is tight. Yes, the "artwork" is kinda corny. The place is much more boutique European hotel than motel. Nice California Spanish exterior decor. Easy access from freeway.

The staff is just incredibly pleasant. The evening cheese and wine is a nice touch and the breakfast is one step above the usual Danish and coffee. I stayed in #103 which was clean, large and nicely furnished with "Laura Ashley" decor. The spa pool is much bigger than usually found, but still smaller than appearing in pictures. I don't think any of the rooms have a view so if this is important you need a hotel closer to the beachfront. They turn on some kind of classical music during the breakfast time. This music can be heard throughout the hotel. If you want to sleep in, too bad. I would stay again but would prefer a second floor corner room due to noise issues. They have a $69 internet price offer which apparently is capacity controlled. If you can get it, then this motel is a good buy.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank silverjym
Reviewed October 7, 2005

This was a nice hotel... BUT... other than having comfortable beds with expensive mattresses... it in truth was just okay.

When we first arrived, they located us in the WORST room in the entire hotel. It had a sign outside the door that read "ASCOT SUITE" (room 104) which would give you the inkling "Hey this is a Suite, we must have a really great room". Having spent one night in this dreadful room, I become conscious why they put that sign on that room (and only that room).

The room was located directly over the spa, hence at all times, the room was hot and sticky. Our windows were always steamed up. If you wanted to open your window for some fresh air, you were bombarded by the noise of the freeway!! It was on the back side of the hotel, therefore the view was of delightful Highway 101. This "Suite" was also conveniently located next to the dining area so you could hear the children running around and playing. The TV was badly located and hard to see while sitting in bed and DID NOT get E-Channel.

The next day I requested a different room and was placed in room 109, a room w/ a fireplace, at no additional cost. I unquestionably give them credit for making me happy. When I went on to tell her my grumbles with room 104, she said the room had air conditioning and was the solitary room in the hotel w/ AC. I then remembered the big, unprepossessing unit on the wall. I personally would rather have fresh air!

Our new room was nicer! It had the TV in an armoire right at the foot of the bed. This TV puzzlingly did get the E-channel. It had a ceiling fan and a fireplace which we never used. It had a diminutive deck type situation and there really was no view to be seen past the buildings across the street.

The entire hotel was somewhat obsolete, probably as a result of investing in the mattresses. The spa was a great deal smaller than it appeared to be from the pictures on their website and it CLOSED AT 9PM!! Along w/ the front desk and laundry facility! The toilets in every room were like airplane toilets and you just about were frightened to be seated on it when you flushed it for it might suck you down with it. Needless to say, whenever anyone around you flushed their toilet, you knew about it.

The parking situation was awful. There was not enough parking spots in front of the hotel for everyone upon full occupancy so if you got back late; you had to either park on the street or on the backside of the hotel. They did have an entrance at the backside, which you used your hotel key.

If I were to visit Morro Bay another time, I would opt for a hotel closer to the little boardwalk they have. This hotel was located farther than most. Many hotels had genuine views of the water/rock. Truthfully speaking, Pismo Beach is right next to Morro Bay and a much nicer town. They even have a beach house you can rent RIGHT ON THE BEACH!! I would stay there! But if you must stay in Morro Bay... and a comfy mattress is one of your most vital issues... Stay at El Morro. if not, save your money and go for something a few bucks cheaper and closer to the boardwalk.

• Stayed: September 2005
20  Thank Farrah Jean G
A TripAdvisor Member
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2005

The El Morro Masterpiece is a fine hotel. Our room was very clean and quite large, the amenities up to date, the desk staff friendly and helpful (what one expects and hopes for from any hotel). The descriptions of the hotel and the artwork led me to believe that it would be a bit more unique, but my overall impression was that the hotel was pretty standard (you know the bedspread design that could never show a stain and is likely in many other hotels? And the continental breakfast that could be served anywhere in the country?). On the other hand, the place had only a small number of rooms so it is not at all corporate feeling, a coin-operated washer and dryer which were very handy in the middle of our two-week driving trip, and a small exercise room and Roman Bath style spa. We did not try the spa, but I did work out in the gym one of the two mornings we were there. The gym has one stationary bike, one treadmill, one crosstrainer, one all-in-one weightlifting contraption, and a TV. FYI, apparently, Jack Lalanne lived in Morro Bay. We did not spend much time in the town of Morro Bay itself as it is pretty touristy. Do be aware that the town is apparently often shrouded in fog for much of the summer.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2005

Just returned from trip up the coast and stayed at the El Morro for two nights. We stayed in Room 103 which is worth asking for. In addition to all the amenities you could need, there was a nice sitting area with a small sofa, chair & coffee table. It's nice to have the extra room to relax after a day siteseeing. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable which is why I booked at the El Morro after reading their advertisement. The location is central to where we wanted to go (Piso Beach, Cambria, etc.) We were a short walk to the waterfront/Embarcadero in Morro Bay. The walk was especially nice in the morning after breakfast. We had a very special dinner at Hoppe's in Cayucus. I had read that they serve local Abalone and I must say it is very pricey but well worth it for a special occasion. It was just fabulous, as anything is on their great menu. Make reservations though. We also had dinner one night at The Hamlet at Moonstone Gardens. The food was just OK, but we did enjoy a beautiful sunset.
I would stay again at El Morro.

• Stayed: April 2005