Masterpiece Hotel
Comfort Inn Morro Bay(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$125
Harbor House Inn(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$66
$59
Blue Sail Inn(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$160
$107
456 Embarcadero Inn & Suites(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$139
$79
$77
Beach Bungalow Inn and Suites(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$115
Best Western Tradewinds(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$95
Ascot Inn at the Rock(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$139
Estero Inn(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$219
Bayfront Inn(Morro Bay)(Great Value!)
$118
Official Site
All reviewswine and cheeseroman spaart printsworkout roomsparkling apple ciderspa poolcontinental breakfasthard boiled eggsmorro rockhot tubevery eveningwafflesfirst floorceiling fanstayed here for two nightsnice viewroom was large
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 7, 2005

This was a nice hotel... BUT... other than having comfortable beds with expensive mattresses... it in truth was just okay.

When we first arrived, they located us in the WORST room in the entire hotel. It had a sign outside the door that read "ASCOT SUITE" (room 104) which would give you the inkling "Hey this is a Suite, we must have a really great room". Having spent one night in this dreadful room, I become conscious why they put that sign on that room (and only that room).

The room was located directly over the spa, hence at all times, the room was hot and sticky. Our windows were always steamed up. If you wanted to open your window for some fresh air, you were bombarded by the noise of the freeway!! It was on the back side of the hotel, therefore the view was of delightful Highway 101. This "Suite" was also conveniently located next to the dining area so you could hear the children running around and playing. The TV was badly located and hard to see while sitting in bed and DID NOT get E-Channel.

The next day I requested a different room and was placed in room 109, a room w/ a fireplace, at no additional cost. I unquestionably give them credit for making me happy. When I went on to tell her my grumbles with room 104, she said the room had air conditioning and was the solitary room in the hotel w/ AC. I then remembered the big, unprepossessing unit on the wall. I personally would rather have fresh air!

Our new room was nicer! It had the TV in an armoire right at the foot of the bed. This TV puzzlingly did get the E-channel. It had a ceiling fan and a fireplace which we never used. It had a diminutive deck type situation and there really was no view to be seen past the buildings across the street.

The entire hotel was somewhat obsolete, probably as a result of investing in the mattresses. The spa was a great deal smaller than it appeared to be from the pictures on their website and it CLOSED AT 9PM!! Along w/ the front desk and laundry facility! The toilets in every room were like airplane toilets and you just about were frightened to be seated on it when you flushed it for it might suck you down with it. Needless to say, whenever anyone around you flushed their toilet, you knew about it.

The parking situation was awful. There was not enough parking spots in front of the hotel for everyone upon full occupancy so if you got back late; you had to either park on the street or on the backside of the hotel. They did have an entrance at the backside, which you used your hotel key.

If I were to visit Morro Bay another time, I would opt for a hotel closer to the little boardwalk they have. This hotel was located farther than most. Many hotels had genuine views of the water/rock. Truthfully speaking, Pismo Beach is right next to Morro Bay and a much nicer town. They even have a beach house you can rent RIGHT ON THE BEACH!! I would stay there! But if you must stay in Morro Bay... and a comfy mattress is one of your most vital issues... Stay at El Morro. if not, save your money and go for something a few bucks cheaper and closer to the boardwalk.

• Stayed: September 2005
20  Thank Farrah Jean G
A TripAdvisor Member
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2005

The El Morro Masterpiece is a fine hotel. Our room was very clean and quite large, the amenities up to date, the desk staff friendly and helpful (what one expects and hopes for from any hotel). The descriptions of the hotel and the artwork led me to believe that it would be a bit more unique, but my overall impression was that the hotel was pretty standard (you know the bedspread design that could never show a stain and is likely in many other hotels? And the continental breakfast that could be served anywhere in the country?). On the other hand, the place had only a small number of rooms so it is not at all corporate feeling, a coin-operated washer and dryer which were very handy in the middle of our two-week driving trip, and a small exercise room and Roman Bath style spa. We did not try the spa, but I did work out in the gym one of the two mornings we were there. The gym has one stationary bike, one treadmill, one crosstrainer, one all-in-one weightlifting contraption, and a TV. FYI, apparently, Jack Lalanne lived in Morro Bay. We did not spend much time in the town of Morro Bay itself as it is pretty touristy. Do be aware that the town is apparently often shrouded in fog for much of the summer.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2005

Just returned from trip up the coast and stayed at the El Morro for two nights. We stayed in Room 103 which is worth asking for. In addition to all the amenities you could need, there was a nice sitting area with a small sofa, chair & coffee table. It's nice to have the extra room to relax after a day siteseeing. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable which is why I booked at the El Morro after reading their advertisement. The location is central to where we wanted to go (Piso Beach, Cambria, etc.) We were a short walk to the waterfront/Embarcadero in Morro Bay. The walk was especially nice in the morning after breakfast. We had a very special dinner at Hoppe's in Cayucus. I had read that they serve local Abalone and I must say it is very pricey but well worth it for a special occasion. It was just fabulous, as anything is on their great menu. Make reservations though. We also had dinner one night at The Hamlet at Moonstone Gardens. The food was just OK, but we did enjoy a beautiful sunset.
I would stay again at El Morro.

• Stayed: April 2005
11  Thank charc
Reviewed March 26, 2005

We arrived on March 20th for two nights. The room was clean, and the bed really was as comfortable as advertised. The wine and cheese was ok if you like white zin and bland cheddar, and the breakfast was nothing special. The gym is small, but the spa is quite nice. Everything was fine except for the fact that everytime anyone in the motel flushes a toilet or turns on a shower, the pipes start squeeling with a high pitch scream. Oh, and when they say a partial harbor view, the key word is "Partial"!! We could see the rock, and a little water, right between the two buildings across the street.

• Stayed: March 2005
12  Thank JimandSuz
Reviewed January 21, 2005

My wife and I were very pleased with our first encounter with the El Morro. Reservations were correct on arrival, staff was friendly and accommodating and the decor was as advertised. And our room was spotless. We were impressed with the quietness of the property. Even though located on a busy street, the street noise was not evident. Of course the bed was wonderful, and pillows your head actually sank into.
The morning continental breakfast and afternoon wine/cheese sampling were much appreciated. The location is very convenient for regional day trips to Hearst Castle, San Luis Obispo and Pismo. Of course Morro Bay is a wonderful community to just leisurely stroll around. The guide to local attractions that was provided in the room was simple, yet one of the most informative we've seen. Overall...a very relaxing stay. We'll be back!

22  Thank SRCruiser