“Good choice for Morro Bay”
Review of Masterpiece Hotel

Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have stayed at the Masterpiece many times and have not been disappointed.We tried another hotel on our last trip and it was so horrible we left and came back to the Masterpiece and they happily accommodated us at the last minute. The staff are nice and helpful and the rooms are spacious. We always rent the suite because for a small increase it is worth the extra room. We ask for the suite facing the side road for less traffic noise. The balcony has a great view of Morro Rock. The breakfast is the basics but enough variety to please everyone and they also offer an evening happy hour with wine, cheese and crackers. With so many wineries around, we usually have our own wine but doesn't seem to be a problem. There is a small gym, jacuzzi and free WIFI. The location is close to shopping and restaurants if you don't mind walking a couple of blocks. The negatives: Carpets in main hotel need to be cleaned, TV's updated to flat screens and replace the bedspreads with new bedding that is more modern. The mattress (while not terrible) in our suite was past it's prime.

Room Tip: Get the suite, worth the few dollars more if you like space. Get a room facing the side road for les...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

The Masterpiece Motel enjoys hearing from our repeat guests. We are in the process of updating our mattresses and bedding. As you can imagine during our busy season the carpets do get a workout but the issue has been addressed and taken care of. We'll be here for you on your next trip to the Central Coast.
Happy travels,

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have stayed at the El Morro masterpiece many times over the years. The property itself is well kept. However, there are several negatives. Flat screen TV's would be a welcome addition. Bedspreads are out dated and should be removed completely. We have previously stayed in the same room as we did on this trip. On the previous stay, we both woke up with sore lower backs. The same on this trip.. Mattresses have reached the end of their useful life. Getting a poor nights sleep and waking up with a sore back ruins the entire trip. Continental breakfast is minimal and could be greatly improved. Carpeting in corridors and on stairways are worn and soiled. They need to be replaced. With a little expense, the El Morro can regain the stature it once had. If not, it could go the way of the other lower priced and less favorable motels in Morro Bay, which would be a shame.

2  Thank CentralValley63

Your patronage and feedback are important to us. We are in the process of upgrading our mattresses and bedding. The carpet issues and been addressed and taken care of. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I booked this room as a "name Your Own Price" through Priceline.com for $120 per night. I thought that was quite a deal for a place that normally goes for $169 a night. Wow, was I wrong.

The first thing I noticed was that the hallways had framed posters of well-known paintings. Thus, the "Masterpiece" in the name. It was kind of cheesy, but I didn't mind it. When I got to my room, I noticed that it was very warm. I immediately found the thermostat and began to adjust the temperature. To my dismay, the room only had heat, not air conditioning. I checked with the office (WHICH WAS AIR CONDITIONED) and was told that only a few suites had air conditioning, since it was not really needed on the Central Coast of California, due to the cool breezes. While that may be true if you always keep the windows open, that is not true at a motel room, which you leave throughout the day. The office staff was nice enough to loan me a fan for the room, which helped cool the room to a comfortable temperature by the time I was ready to go to sleep. However, it would have been nice if the room was already cool or if it had AC.

While waiting for the room to cool, I decided to take a swim. After all, this is California. I found what appeared to be a VERY SMALL pool but turned out to be a large whirlpool. If you want a hot soak, you are in luck, but the motel does not have a swimming pool.

Many of the reviews here compliment the "clean" rooms. I did not find this amazing or special. I would expect any room that costs over $50 per night to be as clean as the rooms at this motel.

Some of the reviews cite the beds as very comfortable. Perhaps some rooms have great mattresses but room #105 had a mattress that was less than 12 inches thick. It may have been a great bed ten years ago but I would classify it as fair to poor at this time.

The breakfast bar was standard fair, featuring a "make your own waffles" machine. Based on the rave reviews, I expected scrabbled eggs and bacon, but was disappointed. They did have hard-boiled eggs, for people that like those.

The view from my room was of the parking lot. The opposite side of the motel might have a bay view, but I don't know. Of course, any view of Morro Bay is somewhat obstructed by the three chimneys of the power plant. It's hard to believe they put a power plant right next to the pretty bay.

All in all, I did not find this to be a "masterpiece". I guess if I usually stayed at Motel 6 or Red Roof Inns, or if I paid less than $70, I would have been impressed. However, since Priceline compares it to Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inns, I was disappointed.

Room Tip: Demand a room with air conditioning unless you like warm rooms.
1  Thank L G
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

We appreciate your review but we are a bit confused....our office is not air conditioned. The cool air you felt is actually from the wonderful ocean breeze we are fortunate enough to get here on the coast. The General Manager has ordered new beds and we are awaiting delivery. While we do not have a swimming pool we do have a wonderfull Roman style spa. Our recomendation is to call us directly for the best rate and room type you want.
Regards,

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in jacuzzi suite on our anniversary. The room was perfect. Motel in walking distance to harbor area with shopping and restaurants. We would definitely would stay there again. The staff was helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: May 2013
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for the awesome review. It would be our pleasure to provide you once again with excellent accomodations.
Happy travels,

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed here a couple of times and enjoyed the view, the patio, the fireplace, the jacuzzi, the bed and the location convenient for walking to the marina. There were a couple of small sticky spots on the carpet but other than that we had no complaints.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the feedback regarding your stay. Housekeeping was notified regarding the carpet. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way home from Yosemite. Upon arrival we were welcomed by their complementary wine and cheese hour which was just what we needed! Plenty of restaurants to walk too and interesting shops nearby. Motel is located right across from Morro Bay. The rooms were large, very clean, with a fun decor of many famous paintings. You are also given a complementary breakfast. I wish we had stayed for 2 nights rather than one. So much to see and the motel is a welcome place to come back to after being out and about. Very nice staff!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank copejenney
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

The Masterpiece Hotel is so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Give us a call for an awesome rate on your next visit.
Best Regards,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Sadly this stay did not live up to my past stays. Nothing seems to have changed so maybe it was just me. The room was clean, the breakfast was as good as before and the afternoon wine & cheese was great. Maybe I was just piqued at being asked to pay more for a downstairs room when we checked in. This has never happened here in the past or at anywhere else we have stayed. On top of that, the bed seemed past it's prime.

Room Tip: If you need a downstairs room, request it when you make your reservation.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stan n
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

The Masterpiece Hotel is sad to know we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. Room rates will vary according to season and room type. Our hope is that you will give us another try on your next trip to the Central Coast.
Sincerly,