“Not a Masterpiece...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Livingston, Alabama, United States
“Not a Masterpiece...”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I booked this room as a "name Your Own Price" through Priceline.com for $120 per night. I thought that was quite a deal for a place that normally goes for $169 a night. Wow, was I wrong.

The first thing I noticed was that the hallways had framed posters of well-known paintings. Thus, the "Masterpiece" in the name. It was kind of cheesy, but I didn't mind it. When I got to my room, I noticed that it was very warm. I immediately found the thermostat and began to adjust the temperature. To my dismay, the room only had heat, not air conditioning. I checked with the office (WHICH WAS AIR CONDITIONED) and was told that only a few suites had air conditioning, since it was not really needed on the Central Coast of California, due to the cool breezes. While that may be true if you always keep the windows open, that is not true at a motel room, which you leave throughout the day. The office staff was nice enough to loan me a fan for the room, which helped cool the room to a comfortable temperature by the time I was ready to go to sleep. However, it would have been nice if the room was already cool or if it had AC.

While waiting for the room to cool, I decided to take a swim. After all, this is California. I found what appeared to be a VERY SMALL pool but turned out to be a large whirlpool. If you want a hot soak, you are in luck, but the motel does not have a swimming pool.

Many of the reviews here compliment the "clean" rooms. I did not find this amazing or special. I would expect any room that costs over $50 per night to be as clean as the rooms at this motel.

Some of the reviews cite the beds as very comfortable. Perhaps some rooms have great mattresses but room #105 had a mattress that was less than 12 inches thick. It may have been a great bed ten years ago but I would classify it as fair to poor at this time.

The breakfast bar was standard fair, featuring a "make your own waffles" machine. Based on the rave reviews, I expected scrabbled eggs and bacon, but was disappointed. They did have hard-boiled eggs, for people that like those.

The view from my room was of the parking lot. The opposite side of the motel might have a bay view, but I don't know. Of course, any view of Morro Bay is somewhat obstructed by the three chimneys of the power plant. It's hard to believe they put a power plant right next to the pretty bay.

All in all, I did not find this to be a "masterpiece". I guess if I usually stayed at Motel 6 or Red Roof Inns, or if I paid less than $70, I would have been impressed. However, since Priceline compares it to Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inns, I was disappointed.

Room Tip: Demand a room with air conditioning unless you like warm rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank L G
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
We appreciate your review but we are a bit confused....our office is not air conditioned. The cool air you felt is actually from the wonderful ocean breeze we are fortunate enough to get here on the coast. The General Manager has ordered new beds and we are awaiting delivery. While we do not have a swimming pool we do have a wonderfull Roman style spa. Our recomendation is to call us directly for the best rate and room type you want.
Regards,
Masterpiece Motel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Katy, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in jacuzzi suite on our anniversary. The room was perfect. Motel in walking distance to harbor area with shopping and restaurants. We would definitely would stay there again. The staff was helpful and courteous.

• Stayed May 2013
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for the awesome review. It would be our pleasure to provide you once again with excellent accomodations.
Happy travels,
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a couple of times and enjoyed the view, the patio, the fireplace, the jacuzzi, the bed and the location convenient for walking to the marina. There were a couple of small sticky spots on the carpet but other than that we had no complaints.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback regarding your stay. Housekeeping was notified regarding the carpet. We look forward to seeing you again.
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way home from Yosemite. Upon arrival we were welcomed by their complementary wine and cheese hour which was just what we needed! Plenty of restaurants to walk too and interesting shops nearby. Motel is located right across from Morro Bay. The rooms were large, very clean, with a fun decor of many famous paintings. You are also given a complementary breakfast. I wish we had stayed for 2 nights rather than one. So much to see and the motel is a welcome place to come back to after being out and about. Very nice staff!

1 Thank copejenney
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
The Masterpiece Hotel is so pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us. Give us a call for an awesome rate on your next visit.
Best Regards,
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Sadly this stay did not live up to my past stays. Nothing seems to have changed so maybe it was just me. The room was clean, the breakfast was as good as before and the afternoon wine & cheese was great. Maybe I was just piqued at being asked to pay more for a downstairs room when we checked in. This has never happened here in the past or at anywhere else we have stayed. On top of that, the bed seemed past it's prime.

Room Tip: If you need a downstairs room, request it when you make your reservation.
1 Thank stan n
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
The Masterpiece Hotel is sad to know we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. Room rates will vary according to season and room type. Our hope is that you will give us another try on your next trip to the Central Coast.
Sincerly,
Manchester, UK
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Morro Bay appears to be a nice, comfortable,although somewhat dated sort of a town, which I think pretty much sums up the Masterpiece as a hotel. OK - it's a little long in the tooth but everything worked perfectly and the room was a decent size if somewhat lacking in drawer space (the only ones being filled with spare pillows and blankets!). The many paintings on show around the hotel certainly gave it a unique charm and I thought our stay represented good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mamamorro, G.M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. Next time try our Roman style spa, it's very relaxing after a day of walking around our unique little beach community.
Kalamazoo MI
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have stayed at El Morro Masterpiece several times over the past few years. What brings us back to this location is the Unique Style of building and Friendly Helpful Staff.
At the of the day we could always count on coming back to a meticulouslly cleaned room. Wouldn't think of staying any where else in Morro Bay, Great location, within walking distance to the ocean and about twelve miles from SanLuisObispo -AJB Kazoo

Room Tip: Higher floors are generally quieter in most motels.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajbadala
mamamorro, G. M. Assistant at Masterpiece Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
We love to hear from our repeat guests. We'll have the coffee and the spa hot and ready for your next visit.