“A Great Experience for a Solo Traveler”
Review of Sundown Inn

Sundown Inn
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I was a solo traveler and I stayed for about 5 nights after discovering it on Trip Advisor. I actually really adored this little motel! The decor may be a little vintage but it adds to the charm, in my opinion. I loved the little details such as the decorations surrounding the mirror as well as the real glass tea cups. As everyone else mentioned, this place is super clean! The owners were very friendly and would ask me how everything was going when we saw one another outside.

Bear in mind that this is an older motel so cars are parked right outside of your window. Well a couple of the nights I was there, a loud diesel truck started up around 5-6am and it woke me up each time. This was just an annoyance more than anything. Clearly not something the motel owners can control.

The room was pretty small, but it was perfect for me. I'm not a picky traveler and I was gone the majority of the time anyway.

If you're looking for something like a Hilton - look elsewhere. This is a perfect no frills, clean place in a wonderful location.

By the way, try Top Dog (coffee shop) just up the road from the Sundown Inn! They have a great selection of food and beverages!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jenlongo
There are newer reviews for Sundown Inn

Reviewed September 3, 2013

It's surprisingly clean given the old-fashioned decor. Really nothing to complain about but don't expect an unforgettable journey back in time. I would recommend it for a one-night stay in Morro bay but the real question is: do you really need to stay in Morro Bay?

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Raph D
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were just looking for a clean place to stay as we were on a roadtrip. Looked up some tripadvisor reviews and decided for this place, it was dirt cheap, around $60 the night I think. Of course, for that price, don't expect any designer furniture, etc but it was very comfortable, very clean and the service was prompt. The bathroom seemed like it had been renovated recently. I would not spend a whole vacation at this place, but for a one night stop while on a roadtrip it's perfect!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Najebo
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Located towards the end of Main Street and just a couple of streets back from the waterfront, this single-storey motel is well placed for the shops and eateries this pleasant town has to offer.

As other reviewers have said, the decor is somewhat old-fashioned in style but is fresh and bright, so presumably quite new. The room was very clean and well equipped - fridge, coffee-maker, microwave, TV and a table and chairs. As the rooms are not particularly large, this makes them rather "cosy", but that wasn't a problem for us. The only negative was that the walls are very thin - you definitely will hear the neighbours! The owners were very welcoming and friendly.

Be sure to see the motel's website and take advantage of the Sun-Thu special price which makes this place good value for money as we did - I probably wouldn't feel it was such good value if I were paying full price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed August 26, 2013

First time in Morro Bay for my lady & I. We didn't have a destination in mind on the coast and just picked Morro Bay off the map and glad we did. If you come in from Sequoia as we did, avoid the main route via Paso Robles and stay on CA 41- beautiful scenic drive through farmland, lots of twisty roads - would have been perfect in the MinI! Anyway, in Morro Bay we picked the Sundown Inn based on TA reviews and, again, glad we did. Very friendly owners - been running the place for 30 years, most customers are repeats and they focus on a clean. comfortable hotel at a reasonable rate. Sounded good to me. Sure it looks like an older motor court motel - because that's what it is!! We had room 16 - very clean, not huge but hey it's just for sleeping right? Shower worked well - albeit it would be a bit of a squeeze for quite a few super-sized citizens. Bed was comfortable. Real china tea cups! And the Magic Fingers - what a hoot - plus it worked. My lady from NL had never heard of them before so I dropped a quarter in and we laughed and then - I dropped another quarter in.

Anyway, great spot to stay. Short walk to Embarcadero and some fine restaurants. While you are there be sure to watch the fishing boats unload - the pelicans stealing squid was hilarious! Enjoy.

1  Thank Roger61Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is definitely an older property but very clean and well maintained. As another review said it is like staying with your Grandma as the décor is old fashioned but room has everything you need and is located close to Embarcadero. The mattress could be better but we did enjoy the magic fingers for 25 cents. We slept with the window open and had no noise issues at all. Was a great value for our coastal road trip and would stay again when passing through.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

What you'll get here is probably one of the most unusual motel room decors on the West Coast, consisting of flower arrangements and wallpaper that could have been picked by your grandmother. Top this off with a coin operated vibrating bed from the 60s and you get the picture.

Rooms are very small, the shower is triggering thoughts of claustrophobia and the TV is only slightly larger than my laptop screen. So for 120+tax I would have expected a little more...