“Beware Non-Smokers!”

Lake Isabella, California
“Beware Non-Smokers!”
Reviewed August 20, 2009

The negative:
Unfortunately, this is a big negative for a non-smoker, and may be a deal breaker. Although the website specifies several times all over it that they have only non-smoking rooms, and even stated that they are a “Non Smoking Property” in my confirmation email, this is not true at all. The people in the room next door smoked on their balcony, and the smoke came right into our room. There is only a 6” partition between balconies, and that doesn’t prevent the smoke from coming into the next room. Besides having to close our sliding door and lose the cool evening air, we were denied the use of our balcony, which we paid extra for. Luckily, the smokers only stayed one night, so our entire 3-day stay wasn‘t ruined. I did contact the front desk, and they informed me that they allow smoking on the balconies. They either need to stop advertising that they are a non-smoking property, or dedicate a wing of the hotel to smoking guests. Expecting a non-smoking guest to endure the smoke of their next-door neighbors is unacceptable. I sent a complaint letter to the management, but they have not bothered to answer.

The huge Armoire that contains the TV has very thick doors that open out, and must stay open to watch the TV. Unfortunately, they get in the way of everything while they are open. Maybe they will someday update to flat screen TV’s hanging on the wall, and solve that problem.

You must request an Iron & Ironing Board. The ironing board is a little tabletop thing, 3 feet long, with 2 inch high feet. It is pretty useless, as the part of the clothing you just ironed bunches up on the table and wrinkles again.

The positive:
The refrigerator itself is the best I’ve seen in a motel ever. It actually has a separate door for a nice-sized freezer compartment (see picture). You can store quite a few blue ice blocks there. The fridge door is large enough to hold a half gallon of milk. Microwave works good, even has a turntable.

The showerhead is really great, the tub is very roomy and nicely tiled.

Walls are thick and well-made, you can’t hear your neighbors at all.

If you pay extra for the larger-sized balcony, there are two chairs and a little table, and a very nice view of the bay. No rock view, but you can see that anywhere in town. An added treat - we could hear the seals barking from our room (312).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Rubybear9
Dear Beware Non-Smokers,
La Serena Inn is non-smoking! I’m sorry a neighbor was smoking. We have hired a detective agency to track down the smoker and put him in irons. We’ll try harder to stop it.

Thanks for the positive comments, thanks for the three stars. Oooh, was that a complaint about the seals barking in the ocean so near, or did it help you sleep.

You’re from Lake Isabella? I love Lake Isabella! My wife’s name is Isabel. I even love her when I’m not buying her more ear rings. Come back here when that lake gets too crowded, the Pacific is a little bigger.
Louis Bartfield

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Cardiff, UK
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Great place to stay a couple of days. Good size room and a lovely big comfortable bed. Guy on the front desk was cheerful and helpful, immediately making us feel welcome. Breakfast was at the lower end of expectations but by now we weren't expecting much and seems churlish to judge them on it.

There's a great health food shop nearby with a little cafe out back serving delicious food.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Friendly and Excellent Value,
You’re from Cardiff? Does the Cardiff giant still hang around?

Thanks for the four stars, although you did think the breakfast wasn’t great. Well, of course we can’t match English cooking, but when the pound is devalued we’ll do a little better.

By the way, we need a little foreign aid here in the U.S. from you guys, things are tough here these days. Thanks again for the great review, wow, four stars from the greatest Empire the world has ever known
San Diego
Reviewed August 15, 2009

La Serena is a couple of blocks from Morro Bay, within sight of Morro Rock. It was very affordable compared to most of the other places, and it was exceedingly clean. The room was comfortable, and we spent a very enjoyable night there. We walked to Morro Bay and could hear the seals and seagulls calling across the water when we opened our windows.
We left a stuffed animal at the hotel...a potential crisis! But as soon as I emailed, someone contacted me and assured me the beloved "pet" would be mailed the next day, only after I properly identified the animal in question. I loved this personal touch and the fact that it wasn't a corporate chain that didn't care how we were treated. The whole thing was great.No pool, but they did have a real sauna.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura P
Dear Simple, affordable, personal,
OMG, I lay myself at your feet for four stars. Oh, wait, you gave us five! I am so grateful you got your stuffed animal back from us. Actually, I wanted to keep it, but my daughter got jealous and my wife said, how could you, you told me you are not a cat burglar.

No, we’re not a corporate chain, we have five places, may get three or four more, but honest, I’m getting burned out. Finally, I love San Diego, my daughter did college there, and she got an A in suntan, and a B-plus in boyfriends.

We are now inviting bird-lovers and I’ll bet you’re one, Queen Geek, even if it’s just on your I-Pod. Check out our newest web-site: it’s in hot pink, with a great design. And click on A Love Story, it’s romantic.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I was returning to Morro Bay to visit family, so was primarily just looking for a place to stay. Everything was up to par as far as I'm concerned, but I was especially impressed with the front desk service. The gentleman at the desk was cheerful, friendly, and helpful.
Overall, I would recommend La Serena to anyone.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Dear Great Service,
I am growing crazy here, trying to answer complaints, and all I get are compliments.

May I quote you: “Overall, I would recommend La Serena to anyone. Hey, Chicago Family, guess what, I grew up in Chicago, went to Lane Tech, played high school football and rowed on a high school crew. Hung out in Little Italy, used to walk by the Biograph Theater where Dillinger was shot. Had a girl friend at the University of Chicago on the South Side. Met Robert Hutchins, famous chancellor from there.

Went from Chicago to Camp Grant and served in the army. I’ll show you around Chicago, next time I’m there. Not in the winter, thank you.

Glad you enjoyed our place and the gentleman at the front desk. Don’t mention his name, he might want a raise. Oh, your family in Morro Bay – they understand good weather.
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Excellent location, clean well-maintained rooms, adequate continental breakfast. Overall an excellent choice.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Dear Very Nice for the Price,
Thanks for the five stars, and wow, you’re from LA so you know class when you see it.
I went to UCLA, great school, glad they didn’t kick me out when I complained one day that the ocean was fogged in and I couldn’t see the waves from up there on the hill.

We will continue to provide you with the values you seemed appreciated. And I’m so grateful for the accolade, I bet people really read this stuff. Wish they’d taught me a little grammar and formality when I was there, I was too busy hoping we could once in a while kick USC’s butt in football, with scant success.
California
Reviewed June 18, 2009

La Serena Inn Staff Was None To Kind
But if You're Lucky One Can Leave That Memory Behind
So here come the La Serena Inn review. One little Inn next to The Rock and PG& EX., that One would never boat out to sea. There are hills by the La Serena Inn with so much voltage on it, that if One were to have some kin, they would be born with an extra limb. So One wonders down & around the way in Morro Uptight Bay, but never quite Bodhi right & that is the moment the La Serena Inn showed up in lights. Now One cannot expect to much, but this One knew how to do it up. The rooms were spacious & this Bodhi got to jump on the bed. Never once did I bump my head. So I liked the decor as it was warm & gentle. I liked the room, in the fact that the temperature was anything but temperamental. I liked the bath in it's own private way & that's as good as One observed while at this stay. I even had a dream there about walking through Grant's tomb. But in every place I go there is this beware! Never roam around without clothing to spare, if you know what the camera shy Bodhi means! Wink! Wink! So if you can stay away from the lamenting, non navy approved dentist & if you are anything but a seven day preventist, this is One to get a chance, but make sure your conscious is clear of city-flied circumstance. One of several Bodhi points of beware. The Taverns & Saloons in Morro Bay are One of the defining stay away. The identity situation is always a red alert. Be careful One stays away from used bed skirts. So this One gets a thumbs up for just One day. That is about how long the residents prefer One to stay.
Lots of Traveling Bliss,
Bodhi M. Scarlett
June 17th, 2009

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MScarlett
Dear One For the La Serena, Although it is Morro Bay

Thanks for the three stars, Bodhi M. Scarlett. You loved our place, thank you. You jumped on the bed and didn’t hit your head on ceiling. OMG, if you did my insurance rates would have gone up. I have to hurry with more Tempur-Pedic to dampen down the springiness. Oh, well, a little sacrifice for a good night’s sleep.

You liked the décor, you liked everything about the place, but you were upset because you couldn’t roam around Morro Bay naked? I’m sorry, if I had my way, you could, but local police somewhat up-tight.

Thanks for the positive review. Next time please write another novel, it was honestly the best reading I’ve seen on a review. True bliss to you, and next time please dream about the Washington monument instead of Grant’s tomb, it’s more Freudian. Om, Om, Om,

The World!
Reviewed May 7, 2009

The timing of year was perfect as the Serena Inn was at its best rates. This hotel is within walking distance from great restaurants, the harbour, cute boutique shops etc. Great launching base to be able to explore Hearst Castle to the north (about 45 minutes drive). Morro Bay is such a quaint, quiet town such a great stop along the Central Coast!! They also have 2 sister hotels in town one of which we used the hot tub there one evening. Was walking distance 4 blocks away. Breakfast is small (toast, cereal, juice, coffee, muffins, danish). They have 2 outdoor patio/sundecks.

• Stayed April 2009
Dear Best Place to Stay in Morro Bay,

Thank you, world traveler, you are embarrassing me with all these compliments and five star reviews. How am I supposed to respond to complaints if all I’m getting are compliments?

Are you on our payroll, I just checked, no, so thank you for your objectivity. And thank you for pointing out and taking advantage of our two sister motels, where you even used the spa, probably at the San Marcos, where the spa is as big as a pool and has ocean views, or maybe the Masterpiece, where the Spa was designed by Dave Nowak in our company with life-size murals right out of Michael Angelo.

I can tell you’re art lover by the style of your writing and your desire to travel the world. I am truly grateful for your kind words.