“Naked Fish!”

Ranked #1 of 101 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The freshest, premium seafood. Hand-selected seasonal ingredients from our own farm. An impressive selection of world-class wines. All tastefully wrapped in novel Island decor and overlooking the scenic waterfront. Welcome to a new definition of taste - The Galley Seafood Grill & Bar - the Central Coast's finest seafood restaurant located on the Embarcadero in Morro Bay.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Th Galley occupies part of the ground floor of the Anderson Inn (great place to stay - reviewed separately). Their menu proclaims their approach to fish - best served naked (sauces on the side). I had the naked swordfish, mango salsa on the side. The fish was so good, the sauce was totally unnecessary. Probably the best swordfish I have ever had, perfectly cooked, moist and flaky. The dinner included two sides: I had garlic mashed potatoes (good) and grilled asparagus (really good). Hubby had scallops (really good), the asparagus and rice pilaf which he described as the best, most flavorful, pilaf he has ever had. They feature local seafood and produce as much as possible. The service was impecabble - attentive but not intrusive. They make a pretty good mai tai, too. This is an outstanding restaurant which compliments the lovely inn which sits above it.

2  Thank trippingtd
There are newer reviews for Galley Seafood Grill & Bar

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Excellent food, service and ambiance. Even the tea selection is great. Staff was super friendly and patiently answered all of our questions. When we mentioned we were celebrating a special occasion they gave us a FREE dessert.

1  Thank Loren E
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had made our reservation a month ahead but it didn't appear on the books. Nevertheless, after a minute we were seated at a window table.
The swordfish my husband had was moist and delicious and I enjoyed my halibut. Both of us had delicious mango salsa with our fish.
My only negative - - it's pretty noisy. We were seated at 7:00 and the restaurant was full. Maybe a little earlier when one could enjoy the sunset would be good. Or else, come at lunch when there's an interesting view of the Rock and all the activity in the Bay.

1  Thank Beth T
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Very please with our experience here. My husband and I came in on a Monday night not thinking reservations were necessary but they were, to my surprise we were accommodated almost immediately and checked on quite frequently. This place is spotless and is decorated beautifully especially if you come during SUNSET!! Our server was Amie was wonderful (although she didn't look past the age of 18) she was darling and was very informational when it came to our fish, my husband had snapper and I swordfish and THEY WERE TO DIE FOR. I can not wait to come back to try some more of their "naked fish" (yes, I said naked ;)) one tip, get the mango salsa! Since coming I have recommended this place to every one of my friends and we look forward to coming back again. great food and great service!!

1  Thank Joan K
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Located in the Anderson Inn building, this wharf front restaurant had a wonderful ambiance, nice lighting, and very good (not great) food. The main issue with this restaurant (aside from the unfortunate 1 hour gap between starters and mains which I expect to be abnormal as our starters were comped as a result) is its lack of 'local'. The food clearly was sourced from a Sysco or similar food service - the steaks looked like an Omaha steak for example. When you have fishing boats on your doorstep - literally - the menu should have a solid selection of real local / fresh items - but it didn't. Even the wine list had very few local wines - it had some - but was heavily weighted outside the area. When you compare it to Windows on the Water - its only true competitor in town - this is the clear difference as that restaurant had a great selection of locally sourced fish, shellfish and meats.

1  Thank LondonUnveiled