“Romantic sunset dinner, best dinner”

Dorn's Original Breakers Cafe
Ranked #4 of 101 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2014

My husband and I came here for dinner and it was absolutely romantic. We had the view of the Morro Bay rock and the sunset. The server was ok, not the best but attentive. She seem quite busy. I ordered the charbroiled snapper and it was delicious and made perfectly, not dry, not raw. Just perfect. I really enjoyed it. My husband enjoyed his fish and chips as well. Would definitely come back. Price of fish & chips was $15 and my fish plate with salad, veggies and rice was $25. Not bad!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Have dined here with my family since being a wee lad and continued this occasional tradition throughout my adult life with friends and family. However, I/we no longer consider it a destination restaurant when in the area.

About a year ago we had a very poor dinner experience here (bad service, food below expectancies) and just a so so lunch a few months before then. We decided to try it again for lunch, hopefully to overcome our negative impressions. Wrong.

The restaurant is extremely attractive, nicely appointed both inside and out, the staff is extremely polite . . . but not attentive, at least on this occasion.

We ordered a coastal lunch favorite--a shrimp & crab salad (combination Louie). It was preceded and accompanied by about a half a loaf of warm sour dough and butter. Very nice. The salad itself was well plated with colorful "fillers" such as carrots, egg, cucumbers, olives, tomatoes and ample delicious dressing on the side. Their chicken caesar salad has always been wonderful here--one would think any seafood dish at arguably the number two seafood restaurant in a fishing village would be even better. Again, wrong. The problem with our salads was simple: Very light on the shrimp and only a thimble of crab. Totally unacceptable.

As for the service--a very pleasant woman who probably would have been referred to as a "sweetie" in a different era took our order in a very pleasant manner and delivered our meal promptly. Then nothing. She walked by our booth several times but never stopped; no "how is everything?" or "do you need anything else," etc. After our plates were cleared (the busboy actually tried to clear the table before we were finished) she simply put down our bill with nothing but a smile--no "would you like dessert?" or "I hope you enjoyed your meals." And the restaurant was only about a third full. The waitress did offer a "thank you" as we were exiting.

Our impressions of Dorn's Original Breakers Cafe have worsened.

1  Thank Randall-Anne
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Dorns serves ENORMOUS breakfasts and the food is very good for breakfast and lunch. Dinners are a bit "iffy" (mostly bland and unexciting entrees, several of our party got sick after eating their truly terrible carbonara -stick to burgers or fish and chips for dinner). However, this restaurant is probably the only one that is open later than 9PM for dinner. Service at all hours is excellent and you can have your dogs with you if you have a table on their outside terrace (which has a lovely view of Morro Rock and the Bay).

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Our very favorite place in Morro Bay. We love this place because food is of great quality, people are nice and we love the booth seating. Very cozy. They also take reservations. Fish and chips here great. My son had the cheeseburger and it looked amazing. My husband said the swordfish was so yummy. We also love breakfast here. Really great breakfasts. I've been coming to Morro Bay for 40 years..this place has been a great memory for all those years and now becoming one of my kids favorite places. There are many restaurants in Morro Bay that come and go but we've always counted on Dorns for having consistently great food.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I think of all the places we visited in Morro Bay, this was the one with the friendliest service. It's clean- hard to do that with sea air and big windows- and not the case with many of the bay view restaurants on the Embarcadero.
None of the food was raved about in our group of six, but not much was left over on the plates. Just good, traditional fare.