“Great view”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Orange, California
“Great view”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Lots of variety and good. Chowder was good and plentiful in the bread bowl. Louie salads were good. Good view of the harbor and the rock.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank lighthousepam

Long Beach, California
“Must have pancakes”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This place was great! It was recommended by the hotel we stayed at. We went for breakfast and it was fabulous. I had the corned beef hash (amazing) and my boyfriend had an omelet. You can get a side of pancakes with your meal and I highly suggest you do. I'm not a pancake person but they were SO good. View is great. They also have a couple of tables outside with a fire right on your table top to keep you warm while you enjoy the view, and OH what a view! Mimosa's were great too! they use fresh OJ.

Visited May 2014
Sacramento, California
“Lovely restaurant, Good food”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stopped here for dinner on recommendation from our hotel. This place is a little less casual than some of the restaurants in Morro Bay but was very comfortable. It was a pleasant change for an evening.

The menu had a variety of offerings but our goal was to have seafood while visiting the coast. I selected the linguine with clam sauce and a side salad, while the hubby decided on the ahi and a cup of clam chowder. The salad was crisp and fresh with a variety of vegetables stacked in an eye-pleasing presentation. The linguine was smothered in a chopped clam sauce with 4 or 5 steamers on top. I was in heaven! The ahi was proclaimed to be excellent as was the cup of clam chowder.

The restaurant is located on a street above the Embarcadero but has magnificent views of Morro Rock and the bay. We found the evening to be very relaxing and did not feel rushed during our meal. The restaurant was pleasantly busy but the wait staff stayed attentive and efficient. The dinner menu is a little more pricy but we felt we got a good value for our dollar.

• Visited May 2014
Pittsburgh
“The 2nd Worst Restaurant We've Ever Been To!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My Wife and I spent the week traveling down the Pacific Coast Highway. After a long day of hiking, we decided to call today's drive short and settled into the small coastal town of Cayucos. After checking into a beautiful bed and breakfast (check out "On the Beach B&B") we were about to head out to a local establishment for dinner when a nice woman we met recommended Dorn's. After doing a quick search for Dorn's on the internet... we thought that we had found a local gem. Boy were we wrong.

First impressions were deceiving. The restaurant seemed to have all of the tell tale signs of a quality, family owned dining institution: Bayside location, the smell of fresh seafood, and an impressive menu! But we were soon to find out that all of this was nothing but a facade.

My wife ordered the special of the day... Red Snapper. I ordered the seared Ahi. Both of us chose soup over a salad... the house clam chowder that was described as being a "70 year old recipe."

Let's start with the clam chowder. My wife immediately reached for the salt. After taking a few tastes of my own, I quickly crabbed the salt as well. I'm not talking about a pinch of salt... this soup needed a lot of salt just to give it some semblence of flavor! We were starving and both finished the soup to tame our appetite.

Then came the main course. The Ahi tuna had the consistency of rubber and lacked any resemblance of flavor. The sesame seeds coating the tuna were raw. I found myself soaking each piece of tuna in the cup of "soy and ginger" sauce just to add some kind of flavor but after the second bite I was done. The dish was sent back to the kitchen. Disgusting!

My wife's red snapper was definitely a high quality fish but there were no flavors ANYWHERE in the dish. After adding some salt the dish was still relatively flavorless. She questioned whether or not the chef in the kitchen even knew how to cook? This dish was also sent back.

After tasting both of the dishes side by side I could not distinguish which dish was which. The best way to describe what we were served was some type of hot, textured material on a plate.

We felt bad... and didn't want to complain to our wait staff at first but then we heard the party next to us complain to their waiter that they have been coming here for years and something was most definitely "off" about this food. We then immediately spoke up to our waitress. We were asked if there was anything else on the menu that we would like and with hesitance asked to try the scampi.

The 15 minute wait for our replacement meal was torturous. It seemed like all of the parties in the room were struggling to chew and swallow their food. The table behind us ate 2 or 3 bites of their meal and set it aside. We contemplated canceling the scampi... but decided to wait and see if it was any good. It wasn't.

Rubbery, flavorless, and mildly nauseating. Is scampi butter supposed to be thick and cloudy? This was.

Not once were we offered an apology. The staff was defensive of their food though plates were being returned by multiple parties. Our waitress, though sweet, was utterly clueless when it came to fine dining.

The verdict... it seems as if the people running this joint have become lazy and complacent. Maybe they feel that people have been coming here for years and will continue coming so they don't have to try. It was upsetting... frustrating... and downright disgusting. My stomach gurgles just thinking about it. I've had better seafood at Red Lobster.

• Visited June 2014
Oslo, Norway
“A great view for lunch”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

As a pit stop, Dorn's was a great choice.
Easy to find. Great view of the Bay.
Easy menu and straight forward service.
But the food was not all that.
The burger was not seasoned and the fish of the day was a bit blend.
By all means.
Its a great place to stop.
They might now have fixed the burger :-)

• Visited July 2013