“Best I've had in Morro Bay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dorn's Original Breakers Cafe

Dorn's Original Breakers Cafe
Ranked #4 of 97 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Best I've had in Morro Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Over the years this restaurant has consistently remained the best restaurant for seafood or breakfast. The view of the bay is also a big plus. The service is very good! There is a room that can be reserved for parties. Kim sure this restaurant would get an A if it was being rated.

• Visited November 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best seafood as told to us by a docent at Hearst Castle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Happy we followed the docents advice at Hearst Castle. Classic atmosphere, classic food, everything was fresh as we learned Morro is a fishing village. Their clam chowder was fabulous as was everyone's dinner.highly recommended. Glad we drove a little out of our way for such a great dining experience.

Hoover, AL
“A Great View When Just Passing Through!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

In early October of 2012, my son and I were enjoying a small road trip which started in San Francisco and terminated in Santa Barbara. We live in the South, and since neither of us had ever traveled in Central California, it was important to pinpoint good hotels and restaurants by relying on comments from friends and of course the reviews on TripAdvisor. Having spent a memorable previous night in Cambria at the FogCatcher Inn on Moonstone Beach (see review on TripAdvisor), we were about halfway to Santa Barbara when we decided to take in lunch and a few sights at picturesque Morro Bay.

Having driven around the harbor area, we chose Dorn’s Original Breaker’s Café because of the proximity to a small tourist shop area, the fishing boats and a super view of Morro Rock. A request to the restaurant greeter which got us immediately seated with a perfect view of “The Rock”, already ingratiated me to the comfortable décor of what appeared to be an upscale family-type restaurant. Our wait person was prompt with the welcoming comments, set-ups and menu suggestions. It was such a warm and inviting atmosphere, I could have been satisfied with almost any item on their fairly-extensive menu. With a minimum of decision making, I chose the Cobb Salad, and my son selected the Chicken Taco Salad.

Fresh sourdough bread served warm was a great compliment to the salads and
the panoramic view of the water, boats, sky and Morro Rock right outside the window. My generous Cobb Salad was served with all fresh ingredients, exactly as I had hoped. My son’s dish however was disappointing since it contained what appeared to be canned chicken. He’s no culinary snob by any means, but he felt this substitute for real poultry was a "foul play”…since inclusion of "fresh fowl" would be a natural expectation of a chicken dish served in a first class eatery.

Other than the meal, we also enjoyed looking at the photos in the lobby which captured celebrities of old (such as Bob Hope and local fitness guru Jack LeLanne), posing with former owner Harry Amsel when the restaurant was a hot property back in its glory days. My son, who is 38, surmised that Dorn’s was quite “the place” in times of yester yore, but is successfully operating partially off it’s long-running reputation. I tend to agree. While still a more-than-acceptable place to meet and eat, it strikes me as mainly a local favorite with a smattering of tourists such as ourselves. Maybe all the establishment and menu need to perk things up again is just a shot of fresh twenty-first century adrenaline and a fresh stylistic make-over.

Best restaurant in Morro Bay? Better ask another reviewer more familiar with the local competition. Would I eat there again? Yes, with certainly. My son?...most likely not. Too bad.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Liverpool
“Good place to eat and wide menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Recommended by staff at the Estero Inn. Food was good and a reasonable selection of wine. Didn't blow us away but was well worth a visit.

Visited October 2012
Marina, California
“The Prices Aren't That High, But The Classiness Is.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

We came to Morro Bay to visit my cousin who has lived in Morro Bay her whole life and my aunt. My wife and I are very familiar with Morro Bay having spent many weekends and Summers there from childhood, but we haven't been there in a while so my cousin chose the restaurant for breakfast. When we parked in front of Dorn's, my wife and I were concerned that we may be in over our heads for what the bill might be for a meal at a place as Ritzy as this. As soon as we saw the menu prices, we realized our concerns were unfounded.

• Visited October 2012