“What was that smell?”

Great American Fish Co
Ranked #26 of 98 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Description: Great American Fish Company overlooks the Morro Bay Harbor serving Mesquite Broiled Fish and Steaks that we've been famous for since 1980.
Atascadero CA
“What was that smell?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2006

Have eaten at GAFCO for years, considered it a favorite when I lived in Morro Bay. Went back there after several years and felt the restaurant had deteriorated. I was planning to bring out of state relatives to GAFCO, but after our recon trip, decided not to. The food was average, seemed hastily plated....but the worst part was an unpleasant odor in the restaurant that none of us could identify. There were 5 of us in our group and we all noticed it. We decided perhaps it was left over from the time when smoking was permitted in the bar, and the odor had permeated the establishment. We decided to take out guests elswhere. Disappointing. The view from GAFCO is wonderful, that hasn't changed. If you aren't bothered by odors, and want a great view and good clam chowder, GAFCO's the place to go.

3 Thank MoiSr

“Bad service and bad oysters!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2005

I walked into the bar and was served a beer fine - I requested a table for 1 and was looked at very strangley by the girl in the head scarf and told to wait in the bar. I ordered another beer and while paying for it was called to my table - still waiting to pay I was barked at again by the lady who told me she was "waiting for you!"

Anyway the bread was stale and the oysters had me hurling for 24 hrs the next day - what annoyed me was the lack of so called Great American customer service - the staff argued amongst themselves and had heated discussions about staffing issues within earshot and coming up to 9.30/10pm they made no secret of their desire to get rid of any remaining diners and stop any from coming in.

Not a good advocate - it may have been off season but word gets around!

10 Thank uktripper007
Rotterdam,Holland
“Liked it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2004

On a sleepover on our way down the coast, we had dinner at this restaurant. We liked it a lot, good food, friendly crew and a nice ambiance.

1 Thank Dennis_eco
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not good...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2004

Everyone recommended this restuarant. The staff never came to the table to ask if we needed anything, and the food was no better than Red Lobster. As far as the view at night, all you see is the lights inside the resturant. Upon leaving, no one said "Thank you' or anything...

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member