“Good course for a good price..”

Morro Bay Golf Course
More attraction details
Owner description: Morro Bay Golf Course is often referred to as “Poor Man’s Pebble Beach” and is a “must play”. The course offers stunning panoramic ocean views from just about every hole. This “player-friendly” 18-hole public course has tree lined fairways and hilly terrain placing a premium on club selection.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Morro Bay Golf Course is a scenic layout that will challenge golfers of all abilities. It's not quite the "Poor mans Pebble Beach" While there no holes you can drown your ball in the ocean but the course does have many spectacular views of Morro Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The modest clubhouse has a pro shop and a small snack bar. I've played there 5 times when I visit my daughter who is attending college in San Luis Obispo. I've always played Morro Bay on weekends, in the early afternoon and have never had a problem getting out within 20 minutes. Just enough time to warm up on the driving range and practice a few putts on the practice putting green. HINT most of the putts you have will break towards the bay. ... The first hole is a short par 5 playing uphill but downwind. The course starts to show its teeth on the second. A solid 440 par four into the prevailing wind.. Holes 6 through 9 are fairly difficult and an even par score on those holes is an accomplishment.. The back nine is the better nine highlighted by my favorite hole, the scenic downhill 439 yard par 4 13th.. 14,15 and 16 are easier holes but the 230 par 3 17th and the uphill, into the wind 380 yard pard 4 18th which has the largest green on the course is rarely reached in regulation have ruined many good rounds on this much better than average public golf.

1  Thank fizzmo
There are newer reviews for Morro Bay Golf Course

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Running along the coast on 12, 13, 14 and with magnificent views from most holes, this can be overwhelming alone. The course plays long, but clear of most hazards. The greens are as tricky as any on the PGA tour - slick, twisty and very hard to read! Very hilly, so a cart is a good idea. Snack bar has good snack bar food and a full bar. Green fees are a bit high, but well worth the cost based on quality of the course; condition of the course; beauty of the surroundings; location on the coast. This is a great deal. At less than $50 for green fees and $12 or so for a cart, it's a steal!!!!!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I paid $90 to play this course having been attracted to it by the moniker "Poor Man's Pebble Beach". Now this is a stretch, but the course should promote itself on it's natural attributes: (1) great condition of the fairways and greens, (2) views of the water from several holes, (3) flow of play (4 hours for 18 holes) and friendliness at the club house. I even got a smile from the course ranger. It was a terrific day and we thoroughly enjoyed the play even though it was overcast for nine holes and sunny for nine. The course has forgiving fairways, very few traps that come into play around the greens, but you have to think about the distance with the uphill greens. The downhill greens seem to play the card length. Now...the majority of the greens break to the water, so look around before you putt. It can be an illusion and you will thank me for that tip at the end of the round. Excellent course, good people and fair price.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

You can't argue the fact the the course is beautiful, but the experience isn't worth what they charge. I paid almost $70, including cart fees. For that, I would expect an above average experience. The marshall was pushing us on the front nine even though it was the foursome in front of us playing without carts that were slowing us down. Then, I paid $17 dollars for two drinks and a disgusting grilled cheese sandwich. The bartender acted like she had never mixed a drink before. On the back nine, we were pacing faster than the front, but the over zealous marshall popped up again on hole 14 telling us there was a backup on 11. We had not been pushed the entire time. It was a large group that teed off within minutes of each other on 10 that was backing up on 11. I told him we would pick up the pace and asked him not to stand there and stare at us. He told me he had to. After me and another member of our group shanked our balls because we were rushed, he looped around just in time to sit on top of the hill and watch us hit our third shot. I have been playing for fifteen years and have never been so insulted. I went into the clubhouse to tell them what happened while the other three kept playing. Their response was "sorry, the marshalls are volunteers." Well, I guess they got what they paid for, but I sure didn't. I will not play this course again.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Good views on a nice day from almost every hole. Otherwise a fairly easy course but hilly. No hazards except a couple of sand traps. Typical Municipal course condition wise but pretty area and pretty views. Watch out for wind or fog which can be very thick here almost any day of the year. Price is fair and they do give seniors a break.

1  Thank Stev0077