“Bland, bland, bland......and more bland”
Review of China Dragon

China Dragon
Ranked #80 of 101 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: Fine Mandarin Cuisine
Description: Fine Mandarin Cuisine
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Bland, followed by more Bland, & topped with Bland! The reviews are mixed so I thought I would give it a shot. A total waste of $12.95 a person for the family dinners. Decor -- bad -- tiny old place with horrible front door & bathrooms are outside. I think this building should be leveled & rebuilt. The food: My son (15+) said his Almond Chicken tasted like chicken pot pie & not in a good way. I had Egg Foo Young because I love it & several people on Yelp said it was really good. Worst I ever had. In fact it looked like dark brown, hard hockey pucks. I think they dropped them in the deep fryer they use for the shrimp & won ton appetizers & left them in there until they were almost black. I had to cut around 1/2 inch on the edge to cut off the hard inedigle stuff to get a few bites out of the center. You get 3 on the plate with a dark brown gravy over it. My husband had the broccoli beef which was probably the best item, but hard to screw it up unless you use old meat & it was just ok. Thankfully none of us got sick, so it was probably a safe bet to eat there, but I wondered about the comments about a lot of locals eating there. We saw a table of 3 old women & I thought, well Morro Bay has mostly seniors and they like bland food. I told my son it was like hospital food & he laughed. Absolutely no seasoning in anything! No joke! Unless they contract with Nursing Homes to provide them food, I wouldn't recommend anyone else eat there. When we got the check the nice young woman asked us how it was & I said well we like our food to have some spice & flavor. She said twice, just let us know next time & we will give you some hot sauce or add it in for you. Really, I don't need some Sirracha (sp) hot sauce dumped on my food. I don't think they are capable of improving anything as they don't understand the problem to begin with. If you do like or need to eat a bland diet, go for it. Otherwise avoid this place at all costs.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

This restaurant is located a little ways outside of "downtown" Morro Bay, north, along the coast highway. We found the food here very tasty and seemingly made very, very, fresh. Some of the dishes were a little different than we have found in other Chinese places. The beef fried rice had a different seasoning in it, that I was not expecting...some loved it, and some didn't. The walnut chicken was a little too sweet for me...however, others in my party thought it was the best dish we ordered during our dinner. We also ordered War Won Ton Soup which was unanimously loved by all of us...it was overloaded (in a good way!) with won tons, meat, chicken, shrimp, and vegetables. The sweet and sour chicken was delicious and was made with fresh pineapple.

The service was excellent. There was only one person seating and serving everyone, but she was one of the most pleasant people ever. One could tell she was sincerely concerned that everything was OK.

One small quibble...each dish (we ordered four) was brought out at different times..about 3-5 minutes apart. Personally, I like all dishes brought out at once. Others in my party liked the system. I guess what they were doing was bringing them out as soon as they were finished being made rather than have them sit in the kitchen until everything is ready. I suppose that's a good thing so that one can enjoy the food totally fresh!

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Best Chinese food I've found on the Central Coast!

Reviewed September 11, 2011

As I write this review there are only two Chinese restaurants in Morro Bay and China Dragon definitely has the better food. I have eaten both lunch and dinner here with friends and it has been very good both times. Most recently I had dinner that included appetizer, soup, rice and main dish. I chose the almond chicken. It had plenty of chicken and fresh veggies. My friend had beef chop suey. Lunch is under $10.00 but dinners run a bit higher. I was expecting hot tea to be included but it is $1.25 per person. The exterior and interior of the building are nothing to look at but the staff and owners are very friendly.

Reviewed September 26, 2010

This is the best Chinese food in our county. The young couple that bought it about 3 years ago took a restaurant with a mediocre reputation and transformed it into a first class place to eat. They use nothing but the freshest ingredients and flavor it perfectly. My favorite dish is Lemon Chicken but we've had beef broccoli, shrimp with snow peas, War wonton soup ( Its always our first course) and cashew chicken among other dishes and everything was wonderful. Kevin's (chef) father owns the "Coffee Pot" restaurant on the Embarcadero in Morro Bay. Sophie is a wonderful hostess. Together they make you feel welcome and appreciated.