“Keep in mind I'm not much of a camper...”

Morro Bay State Park
Ranked #6 of 20 things to do in Morro Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful state park campground is across the road from the beach.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I can count the number of times I've been camping on my fingers. I had never been to this campground before, but it was the only one near the beach that was available. It actually was nice. I like that most of the campground has trees, although our campsite did not. The bathrooms were clean, though lacking in soap. I don't know, maybe that's normal for a campground? There we're showers available but we didn't use them since we were only there one night. The rangers were very present, making rounds several times during our one night stay.

I was a little disappointed that it wasn't closer to a beach. We did enjoy a nice walk across the street at the estuary. There's a boardwalk path that winds around a bit. It's also next to the Morro Bay Natural History Museum, which is rather small, but fun for the kids and free for campers. I also wish there was a market closer for people like me who don't think to pack some camping essentials-would have saved us a trip into town. But all in all it was a good experience and a place I'd return to.

2  Thank dotfurio1
in 9 reviews
"small marina"
"eucalyptus trees"
in 8 reviews
"the natural history museum"
in 11 reviews
"kayak rentals"
"beautiful scenery"
"pismo beach"

Reviewed July 22, 2013

For some reason I got confused and thought his park connected with the beach spit that separates Moor Bay from the ocean. It does not. But it does offer opportunities to go out on the bay in kayaks, see the museum, do some hiking, and have some peace.

Much more peaceful and relaxing than Morro Strand Beach Campground, even if it isn't on the beach. You can walk to the bay, the museum, the rookery. The road through the park even turns into Main St as you head into downtown Morro Bay.

Very peaceful, nice and clean.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went as a church group and when we tried to make reservations, someone ahad already taken both group campsites. Several of us reserved sites and then our pastor worked with the staff at the park and they arranged to put all our sites together. We had 49 people in 7 spaces, with handicapped sites and restrooms available. The Rangers and Camp Ground hosts were wonderful to work with and we took their many suggestions for local attractions and had a fantastic time.

1  Thank DavidA767
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I enjoyed seeing "The Rock" (first time), and of course, amazed at it's size! Hopefully next time I'm down that way, I'll remember to bring my bicycle.