“Hidden Gem”

DiStasio's on the Bay
Ranked #47 of 106 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Beautiful new location. Every seat has a view of the elevated center of dining room fireplace which adds that cozy feeling. Our menu has many of the classic Italian dishes along with fantastic seafood and steak offerings. We also offer a separate Gluten-Free menu with over 10 entrees. DiStasio's has been in business on the central coast for 20+ years.
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We had a light dinner tonight at DiStasio's and found it to be excellent. We shared bacon wrapped scallops and a pizza. Both were very good. The scallop dish was similar to Angels on Horseback; i.e., oysters wrapped in bacon and were very good. The small crispy thin crust pizza reminded us of the pizzas we have had during our travels in Italy. We have been working our way down the Oregon and California coasts to get to Morro Bay and have eaten many very good meals. After a large lunch we decided to have a light dinner and this restaurant was only a couple blocks away from our motel. We will be in this area for another week and will most likely return. The service and setting were excellent. We arrived after dark and cannot comment on the view but given the location I am sure it is excellent. We will return.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I are huge fans of authentic Italian food, especially mom and pop Italian restaurants. We'd like to think we've had some of the best Italian feasts in the country. We specifically came to Morro Bay to eat at our favorite place, Giancarlo's. Giancarlo's is time after time the most incredible food in Morro Bay. The day before, I called and they said they would be open on Monday. However, when we pulled up, Giancarlo's was closed :(... We were hungry and had to think on our feet. I began to drive aimlessly, and lo and behold, I saw Distassio's sign decorated with the Italian flag. It looked like a mom and pop Italian place, plus it overlooked the city, so why not? BIG MISTAKE.

First, there was only one other party eating there and the employees were restless. One worker was out in front kinda just lingering around and came in when we came in. The hostess had been sitting around looking at what appeared to be her phone and perked up with excitement when she saw us as though she was surprised there were actually customers. Our waiter was exceptionally good, attentive, and did a great job, especially in dealing with what eventually became a disaster.

Ok, the atmosphere is not welcoming, this place needs a remodel. Sure, there is a huge window with a great view, even though we couldn't see much at night. The rest of the place is super dark! With a feeling of impending doom. It was like going to a wake. The only decor was a set of strange old display cases, kinda haunting.

The menu was very drab and basic, nothing creative at all. Everything was fine dining prices, and ala carte to boot. I thought with prices like these, as high as Giancarlo's, their food must be killer! WRONG

We had both been craving chowder so we started with a cup each of that. The chowder $5 a cup, and I ordered two cups begrudgingly hoping it would be worth it, annoyed that it wouldn't just come with the $21 veal parmagiana I ordered. And the $18 shrimp pasta my wife ordered. I asked if anything came with the veal, and he told me it came with penne. I asked if they could do the penne in an alfredo sauce, he said yes.

The soup came, and it was as terrible as canned chowder, extremely watery and dull. He asked if we enjoyed our soups, and I just said "it's alright". My wife hated it just as much. He then came back and said "So you weren't very happy with the soup were you?" I said, "Honestly, no". He said he would take mine off the bill. I thought, well that's 5 bucks I won't be kicking myself for later. Good call, dude. Ok, then the food came, and my wife's pasta literally looked like one of her Frozen Smart One's microwavable dinners. The vegetables in the pasta looked incredibly frozen from a bag, and the overall appearance immediately screamed rip off! The taste was unbearable and she stopped after two bites. It indeed tasted like a flavorless microwavable dinner. I was shocked to say the least when I saw what was being presented as my $21 veal parmagiana. Mind you, I asked for alfredo on the side pasta, which was an additional 2$, and it was CLEARLY bland jar Alfredo, recognized in one bite. The veal was a frozen veal patty, which was hardly browned properly and soggy, the breading was falling off. The portion couldn't have been more than 3 ounces. I was then further in disbelief that there was no tomato sauce present between the meat and the top cheese. And then the cheese itself! They had sprinkled parmesan cheese and melted that alone on top! Parmesan is not a melting cheese! Everybody knows you melt fresh mozzarella on top of veal or chicken parmagiana! I took about 2 bites and immediately was angry and ill. When the waiter returned he asked how everything was, I was about to start and then my wife surprised me and took the lead. She literally could not eat another bite. We are people that almost NEVER say anything at restaurants, and we felt soooo bad putting the poor waiter through this, but it was late, and we were hungry, and this was surely the only dinner we'd be getting this night. We asked for the check. He said, if you guys don't like it don't bother taking it home, we can take care of it for you. I didn't realize this was his way of saying, "if you leave it here I won't charge you." After all it was two practically untouched dinners. My wife left it, I still boxed mine up only because I didn't realize he would have taken it off the bill. When she didn't box hers, He changed the bill and took hers off the bill, that's when I realized what he meant and at that moment felt like an idiot and wasn't going to unbox mine and tell him to take mine off the bill as well. In the end, I ridiculously paid 38 bucks for 1 inedible veal parmagiana, a cup of soup, and a five buck tip. In and out of that place in 15 minutes, felt robbed, still hungry, and already spent half the dinner budget for the night. What a suck experience, but a learning experience. Guys, go visit Giancarlo's and check out how Italian food is made.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

This Italian Restaurant is now in Morro Bay in a great location, after years in an adjacent locale. Very pleased with the menu, the setting and the overall experience. Good for locals and tourists alike. Will not disappoint.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The dining experience was spoiled by the incredibly poor service - one server brought a split-sized bottle of carbonated red wine in answer to a request for a glass of White Zinfandel while another server delivered an unopened bottle of beer with the inference that we should open the bottle ourselves! The location is good, however, with ocean views and the food, especially the halibut, was fully acceptable. The restaurant's decor is dull and could do with some livening up.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

My Sicilian hubby declared the marinara and meatballs were as good as his mom's! I had portobello mushroom ravioli that was really wonderful. Good portions and prices.