“Nice place by the water”
Review of Bayfront Inn

Bayfront Inn
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed for one night while driving from SF to LA along the Pacific Coast Highway. I arrived much later than I planned due to all the stops on the way and had to ring the night bell at about 9.30ish. The lady at the desk was very nice about it though and I felt very welcome. I would definitely consider staying here again if I ever come back to Morro Bay.

Pros:

1) Location - right by the rock. Plenty of cafes around, and parking right outside.

2) Rooms - I had an upstairs room where pets weren't allowed. It seemed reasonably big to me so I'm not sue where the issues other people raised with the room size came from. I thought the complimentary water, salt water taffy etc was a nice touch - I didn't end up taking any of the goodies as I was exhausted and basically went straight to bed though.

I didn't have any issues with other people's pets, there were lots of dogs about but they were all well behaved.

3) Ambience - the street by the rock is dead quiet at night. I arrived on a Saturday night, and there wasn't a soul in sight. The barking of the sea lions was clearly audible in my room (this lost some of its charm when they kept going till 12.30am or so, but "kept awake by sea lions" is a pretty unique experience)

4) Decent breakfast selection with oatmeal etc - I didn't try the sticky buns from next door but there was a good bit of food there to kick off the day with.

Cons:

1) I would have preferred a bit more lighting in the room. I did get the impression in the US that ceiling lighting isn't fashionable and people generally scatter a bunch of lamps around the room, so perhaps it's just a local difference.

2) Bit pricey in the high season, but so was everything else in Morro Bay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Thrifty_TravellerOz

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Yes, the rooms are small but it sort of adds to the charm. Located so close to the rock you can count the sea gulls. We brought our Boston Terrier and were welcomed with open arms by the staff. This was great get away for us and we'll be back many more times.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeaTurtle52
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed one night. Very nice staff. Prices are pretty good. Rooms are very small but clean and with comfortable bed, free WiFi, and lots of little things like free bottled water, popcorn, candy, fruit, in room coffee, etc. You can't really stay any closer to the actual rock (Morro Rock). The view is nice from upstairs (for the most part) and there are several nice seating areas outside. You can walk to any of the restaurants down the street. There are also a couple restuarants in immediate area. Tons of shops.

Room Tip: Rooms 14, 15, 16, have the best view from the balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ArmyLori
Reviewed July 26, 2012

To all travelers,

I can unequivocally recommend it to you after staying here. It is quaint and small, with a great location. The owners/staff are gracious, supportive, and friendly; always looking for ways to make your stay better. We stayed in two rooms with seven children and a dog and had no issues. Our plan is to stay there on our tri-annual visits to Morro Bay. Come and stay and enjoy the family atmosphere.
Do not be scared in what you read from the lower rated comments. I have read all of the reviews for this hotel and can honestly say that we did not experience any of the issues listed in those lowest ratings. My thoughts is that those folks had situational and or personality conflicts that did not allow for their expectations to be met…or they were the problem as stated by the owner’s responses.
Again, come and stay and enjoy the family atmosphere. You will have the ability to walk to the beach, docks, rock, and the Embarcadero. The location cannot be beat. You will not be disappointed in the choice.

May God bless you on your travels and enjoy your stay in Morro Bay

Stephan Porter,

Major,
US Army,
Korea

Room Tip: Depending on what you need (like a pet room) you will simply need to decide if you will spend alot o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Bayfront Inn is a very small property on the side of the large open Embarcadero carpark across the road from the Morro Bay harbour marina, and near to the entrance to the Morro Bay Rock park.
There are a number of restaurants directly across the car park, on the marina.
The marina is also dominated by the triple chimneys of the Morro Bay power station - thankfully natural gas powered!
The motel rooms are small and basic and clean. There is a tiny galley which provides free coffee and waffles/pop tarts/toast etc in the morning. In the room to welcome you is a basket with free crisps, salt water taffy, and other goodies. This was a nice touch.
All guests also get a delicious free hot cinnamon roll from the restaurant directly in front of the motel, which has an interesting breakfast menu - including eggs benedict with creole hollandaise on fried green tomatoes for instance.
We arrived late at night after the reception had closed, and found the keys already in our doors waiting for us, with a note to check in when the reception opened in the morning.
I also saw that all guests get free tickets for the Morro Bay trolley, which I was disappointed that I wasn't able to do. As well as doing a circuit through town, the trolley also went out to the Morro Bay rock. We drove out to the rock and parked. On the harbour side, the children enjoyed seeing sea otters playing just off the shore, and feeding the very fearless chipmunks that live in amongst the rocks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Brett M
Reviewed July 18, 2012

If you want a clean, affordable place right on the bayfront, then Bayfront Inn is it! Small, but adequate, and right near everything, including the trolley stop. Quiet and comfy and I loved all the perks. I was alone and felt very safe here. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms are small, but i basically wanted a clean place to sleep in and spent my time enjoying the are...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Last year we found this place by chance because we were doing the rock to pier run.. It is very quiet at night, so I would recommend for folks who will appreciate the no noise after 10 policy. Pet friendly they have treats and water bowls for your pets. Great place!

• Stayed: July 2012