“Great price for an aging hotel.”

456 Embarcadero Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Morro Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 17, 2009

We got a great price of $138, full bay view during the Valentine's day weekend. The hotel, however, needs to be updated. The furniture are stained and worn out. The bed covers also showing age. The color scheme of bright orange and cream is loud and ugly. There is no internet connection in the room. You need to go to the lobby or the breakfast room. The continental breakfast is just that. 2 types of cold cereal. Muffins and cinnamon roll. Apples for fruit and some juice. If you want a more substantial breakfast go to a restaurant like Carla's. I don't know if you are like me but I don't like to hear a lot of noise from above me or next to me. We were on the second floor and I heard a lot of footsteps, furniture shifting, doors closing etc... from above us and next to us. It quited down around 11-12pm. I think the 3rd floor would have been better for us.
On the plus side, you can walk to the shops and the bay is right there.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2008

We found this in a Coupon brochure and am so glad we did. We stayed on the Second floor with a partial view....I would definately recommend staying on the 3rd floor with a full bay view as the sunsets are terrific and this place is just so relaxing. The room was quite large, clean and had everything we needed. The only downside was that we only stayed one night.
This a a great place to stay if you want to get out of all the of the hustle and bustle. The receptionist was really friendly and gave us recommendations for places to eat etc.....The locals are really welcoming too.

Morro Bay is a quiet place so not somewhere to go if you want to be hitting the town late at night I don't think.
Definately a great place if you are a bird watcher, as there's an amazing amount of pelicans, comorants and other birds.

We'd go back tomorrow....well I'd move there actually!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Stayed at the Embarracado Inn for one night on the drive up the coast. Great place to stay nice clean hotel and superb room with huge bed and lots of space along with a nice of view of the bay. If you do stay here though just be aware that after about 9 o’clock at night Morro Bay effectively closes down, at least this area of it does and there is nothing to eat or drink. Still a lovely place though.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Ian&Helenwyorks
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We happened to be vacationing during the Mid-State fair, so accommodations were either very expensive or not available. We wanted to find something close to Cambria or San Simeon, but there were no available rooms that didn't break the bank. After spending 2 1/2 days trying to find a reasonably priced hotel near the ocean, we came across the Embarcadero Inn. What a lovely surprise! We asked for a room with a view, and surprisingly, we got one. The room was not cramped (had a room with 2 queen beds, and still had sufficient room for our gear) room was very clean, and staff was friendly. We appreciated the fact that the outside elevator could not be accessed without our room key.

We were about 45 minutes from Hearst Castle, Atascadero and San Luis Obispo, so this was the perfect spot for us.

We would definately stay here again and highly recommend it.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank Auntie-Gi
Reviewed March 23, 2008

I almost always start my reviews with whether or not I'd stay at a place again, since that's the most important question. I guess the best I can come up with here is maybe. My wife certainly would. So let me start with the negatives and go from there, and you can decide.

First, the web site and even the in room service guides promised wireless internet in every room. When we got there and found no signal the front desk explained that there was only wireless intermet in a single room -- the breakfast room, on the third floor, which was only open from 7-10am. We were both pretty annoyed at this, but my wife was probably less annoyed since it meant she could not work in the evenings as she had originally planned. Still, it's deceptive advertising, especially at a time when nearly every hotel has wireless.

The only other big negative was the price. Half or at most two thirds of the price would be similar to what we pay to stay in a lot of other tourist spots in, say, the Sierras. We didn't really care in this case, I don't know what other hotels in the area run.

Although not a problem for us, there's no air conditioning. Our third floor room got a bit warm during the day, in the summer I'd imagine it might be uncomfortable, but I'm only guessing.

Pluses are that as far at I could see it would be hard to get a much better view in town, we were across the street from the water where most other hotels in town were considerably further back. From the third floor at least there was a reasonable view of the bay, only partially obstructed by a 2 story building across the street. We spent some time out on the balcony watching the sunsets. The location was pretty nice, basically at the end of the touristy spots along Embarcadero. There's a Chinese place next to the hotel that we never tried, most of the restaurants are 2-4 (short) blocks away (which seemed about perfect to me). The shower was nice, and the towels were perfectly fine. The bathroom door had a spring hinge though so that it would always close, thus it remained muggy for hours after someone took a shower, and at night was immune from the room's heating. But it wasn't moldy, and overall the place was quite clean, so they must work at it -- I'm used to expecting some mustiness from an ocean front hotel and there was none here. The heat is a gas wall furnace which worked well; our room also had a gas fireplace but we didn't try it. The room was comfortable, not small but not huge.

Overall it was a nice room, just a bit expensive and with no internet. On my own I'd probably try some other place next time just so that I'd have internet, but my wife wouldn't have to work too hard to convince me to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M421
Reviewed February 3, 2008

We booked this hotel as walk-ins and paid $78 for a very spacious double room, replete with a microwave, refrigerator and plenty of storage for groceries. We had a nice little balcony to watch the sun set behind the Rock at Morro Bay.

The room was genuinely clean, the towels were fluffy, the bed was very comfortable. Walking distance to several restaurants and local sites. The front desk was pleasant and we were happy to be there. A nice find for the off-season.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank snootsville
Reviewed January 8, 2008

This is one of the Hotels that we return to year after year. The rooms are large, clean, well appointed, conservationally aware and with a beautiful view of the marina, bay and Morro rock from the balcony. The staff is always friendly, and the hotel is a beautiful and quiet time of reflection for us. It is always the last stop on any vacation that takes us home via the 1 Highway. This is close to so many beautiful things...Monarch Butterfly fields, Hertz Castle, Monterey Bay Aquarium, San Luis Obispo wine tasting, Santa Barbara Zoo,and lovely mountain drives that will take you through beautiful wine countryand Solvang. Right in Morro Bay are of course Mooro Rock which is home to many wonderful creatures and a definate one of a kind hike. There are beautiful Estuaries and parks like the Elfin Forest. Every restaraunt we have tried has been delicious. This is a definate stop and perfect place to unwind and completely relax. One of my all time favorite places.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple