“Whale watching”

Virg's Landing
Ranked #7 of 16 Tours in Morro Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sportfishing on large boats for rockcod, Lingcod and seasonally salmon and albacore. Also whale watching, dolphins, seals, otters and nature tours. Been in business for over 60 years and LOVE what we do. Come and fish with the BEST Captains on the Central Coast.
Lorena, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Whale watching”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Great experience! Saw several whales....great price!!!! The new owner, Denise, is awesome & the customer service was great!!!! Will go there again...the crew on the whale watching trip were great!!! Love the trip!!!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Rene G

tacoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great fishing trip”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I went fishing on the fiesta on 13 Nov, had a great time.This was the first charter boat trip for my wife. Caught a limit of rock fish and 1 ling cod. The skipper and deck hands were all helpful and made for a fun fishing day.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank frozone
Fresno, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“It was like Hitchcock's movie "THE BIRDS"”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

First of all I want to say I had a great time. My father in law, after dropping his line down only twice became very seasick and spent the rest of the trip inside the cabin. The deckhand, Freddie, told me not to worry and he would make sure he had some fish to take home with him. I needed him for help a couple of times but could not find him. I thought, "that's ok. He's catching some fish for my FIL. At the end of the trip I had managed to catch a few extra fish beyond my 10 fish limit but they were small. In the meantime the Freddie caught several large fish and put them in a "staff bag". Freddie cleaned my tiny fish, charged me a dollar each tiny fish to clean and fillet, and never even offered my FIL a single one of the larger fish he had earlier promised him. That is NOT GOOD BUSINESS! That being said, the Captain was very nice and helpful and professional. I got more help from him than Freddie and he had to steer the boat! I don't want to rag on Freddie. He worked very hard through the whole trip and because there were only a dozen or so fishermen and he was the only deckhand. He didn't even have time to finish cleaning everyones fish before we got back into port and I had to wait another 30 minutes to get my fish cleaned and filleted, fighting off the hundreds of seagulls every minute. It was like Hitchcock's movie"The Birds". Not the staffs fault but if they had another deckhand it would have been much nicer.
I don't mind a company nickel and diming me for everything as long as I get good service. I mean, how much could it have cost them to have a second deckhand onboard to help out?

Visited November 2013
2 Thank malerntogo
phoenix, az
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Thought it was closed”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The customer service was very good and friendly. Answered all my questions and was surprised that I was told it was closed. They are opened and doing great.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank ginny f
Sioux City, Iowa
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Booked a fishing excursion on the Fiesta and had a great time. The check in/registration area is clean. I didn't pay much attention to the cost but noticed everything was posted and the person helping us made sure to allow time for questions.
Morro Bay is chilly, even in the summer, and you can bet if you are going out to sea, it is going to be even chillier. Bring a jacket that will keep you warm and dry. Even though it was June, we were glad to have access to the work gloves I happened to have in my car.
At least 8 of the members of our group got sick and had to spend most of their trip inside. To the person who commented about being yelled at to throw up overboard, well, that's how it is on fishing boats. They (nor anyone else) do not want people puking onboard. I think the yelling was due more to some people not listening and the crew wanting to get the word out.
Someone mentioned hidden costs. I believe it is pretty standard to have to pay to rent equipment if you don't have your own.
The crew was very friendly and interacted with the group the entire time. Our limit was caught, and prepared for us to take to where we were staying. One thing we didn't think of was to bring a cooler. Dumb. We ended up going to a nearby liquor store for a cheap styrofoam cooler and ice after we got back.
The waves were high the day of our trip. You'll probably want your phone and camera but you might consider bringing one of those waterproof bags. The boat's decks get messy - water, fish, fish guts, blood, etc. One fish caught had eaten a jellyfish and threw it and other stuff up all over the deck. Someone onboard had sandals on and it was obvious she wished she hadn't. She was cold and her feet were covered in things she probably didn't like.
The crew does an informal pool for the biggest catch. My friend won it and got a little over $100.
You can buy beer and simple food onboard - breakfast burritos and burgers.
Virg's is in a great location right in the middle of it all. There are great shops and restaurants nearby and ample, safe parking steps from the door.

Visited June 2013