“A pleasant, comfortable stay...but upgrades are needed”

Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Morgan Hill
Richmond, Virginia
“A pleasant, comfortable stay...but upgrades are needed”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at this property for a total of two months during a consulting project in the area. Unlike some projects, I did have more input on where I could stay, and I chose the Residence Inn based on previous experience (and Rewards status) with the Marriott brand, and because of the lack of quality of other properties in the area.

This property sits right off of 101, so is easy to locate. However, if you are unfamiliar to the area, it's difficult to ascertain exactly where to enter the parking lot from the street, as there is no street-side signage. Because the property is surrounded by a Courtyard hotel, a gas station, and a couple of restaurants, it's a little more difficult to get to (initially). Parking is tricky, especially at check-in, because the lot outside the lobby is frequently full. Once you're checked in, parking in the back of the building is more ample.

The overall layout and decor of this property is standard Residence Inn. Unlike some, there is little to no flourishes (e.g., artwork) here that reflect the local area. That's not a drawback, though if you're a frequent traveler as I am, this property will - in the long-run - likely be indistinguishable from other hotels that I have stayed at over the years. It was also quite obvious that this is a property that has a high-volume of travelers, and it shows in all the public spaces. There is a lot of excessive wear and tear throughout the property. Also, the one elevator on the property was slow and often unreliable; the call button on the third floor often stuck, so some evenings it was either never up there or would be stuck up there. (I took the stairs for the majority of my stay).

My project was split up by the Thanksgiving holiday, so I was in two different rooms during my stay. Both were on the third (top) floor, but in opposite wings of the hotel. For the first part of my stay, I was in the wing closest to the 101, and road noise was a minor issue. Although traffic generally lessened in the overnight hours, it was just enough - and audible enough in the room - that light sleepers could find it problematic. In the last part of my stay, I was in the west wing of the hotel, which was dramatically quieter.

I had a one-bedroom suite for both portions of my stay. The layout of both rooms was virtually the same. The quality of the two rooms was also quite dramatic. My first room was quite worn. The furniture was quite beat up and stained or torn. The appliances were in varying degrees of wear and working order. The carpet was quite dirty. Lighting was dim, even with all the available lights/lamps on. When I first moved in, it was obvious that a pet had been in the room prior to my stay, because quite a bit of pet hair was on the furniture and elsewhere in the room. Also, the door lock didn't always latch, so upon entering and exiting the room, an extra pull/push on the door was needed to make sure it latched properly. My second room was much cleaner, lighting was better, in better working order, and less wear and tear was evident.

Wi-fi connectivity in both rooms was reliable, but fair in terms of overall speed and responsiveness. Television options were plentiful, and quite diverse; this was by far better than many extended stay properties. Housekeeping services were generally good, although occasionally inconsistent and sometimes came quite late in the afternoon - even in seemingly low-occupancy periods. Laundry facilities were good; they were cleaner and in better working condition that many properties in which I stay.

This property offered complimentary breakfast, which was standard Residence Inn fare. It was just fine for a quick, hot meal to start the day. On a few weekdays, they would also offer lighter fare for evening meals. I never opted to eat those meals, as the selections were often unappealing, and I preferred to fix something in my room.

Customer service was pretty good throughout the duration of my stay. Sometimes the staff working the front desk in the evenings were a little less-than-excited to deal with customers, and occasionally weren't around to attend to guests. I recall one instance where I waited five minutes for someone to arrive so I could get coins for the laundry, and wound up having to come back down later in hopes the desk staff was back.

Multiple quick service and fast food restaurants are within a couple of blocks of the property, and there are a few more in a shopping plaza on the opposite side of the 101. There are a Target and Wal-Mart nearby as well, so in terms of convenience, the property is well-situated.

All in all, it was a pleasant and generally comfortable stay. The overall condition and cleanliness of the property are the primary drawbacks, and what brings my rating down to "average" from "very good". Despite the wear and tear, I would recommend the property for long-term travelers who are working in the Morgan Hill-Gilroy area, because of the convenience of the property and the comparison with other properties in the area.

2 Thank Generic90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Calabasas, California
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Our family was heading up North for Thanksgiving and we stayed for one night, It was perfect for our family, 2 girls 7 & 12…Upon arriving we were given a welcome bag with Milano cookies and mini water bottle…They knew we had two girls so they offered us 2 packages to keep the peace.
I must say it was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on…I would love to know what pillow top they use?? We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Jenny Hernandez at check in went above and beyond to get a room that I requested. Other people would have not taken so much time to make sure the guest is satisfied as she did. Jenny definitely needs to be recognized by management on her excellent customer service skills.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom, rooms are big and great for families with kids. Complimentary breakfast is good. Close to freeway.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a place to go with family. The rooms are big since there is a sofa area and a kitchen. But there is zero charm. The utilities, fire extinction and protection stuff, kitchen amenities and other unaesthetic things come first. Hence, the room ambiance is poor. Staff was ok but gave me a wrong room key and I had to apologize for trying to enter in someone else room. Breakfast was really poor for a Marriott. And overall quite expensive for one person ($220 the night).

Morgan Hill, California
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Everyone was so helpful and made one feel comfy & at home--what a delight!! A full kitchen was just heaven. The spa & pool was so relaxing. Also, it was so quiet and peaceful I was able to get caught up on things that were adding up. The food, breakfast and dinners, were like home cooked. If I needed to stay out another time, I would look up a Residence Inn--for the money I spent, the value was terrific!!

Nancy Lynn C.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Upland, California, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have stayed at various Residence Inn hotels around the US. This Residence Inn has caught my eye. The staff is overly friendly. They go out of their way to welcome you into their "family" at the hotel. I have stayed at this hotel for the past 13 nights and never came across a staff member who wasn't smiling or who did not greet me with a Good Morning or Good Evening. The staff members' positive attitude reflect the General Manager's personality. She has groomed the staff to perfection in giving a service unmatched by other hotels. Even though I never saw her, my housekeeper was attentive to my room daily. She had attention to detail in every aspect of my room. As a hotel guest we expect to leave our room and have it cleaned and bed made when we return. My room was returned to the same state it was when I checked in. Kudos to the housekeeping staff. The front desk staff was pleasant every time I walked in the door or was leaving the hotel. Due to the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel, I would definitely stay here again and refer it to my friends and family. Becky and Rachel were extremely helpful and willing to go the extra mile and give the WOW factor to their guests. The breakfast staff was as friendly as the front desk staff. Always smiling and had a positive attitude while serving the guests.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room on North side was very quiet.
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is my fourth time staying at the Residence Inn in Morgan Hill. When shopping people in Morgan Hill ask me why I holiday from Australia yearly and stay at Morgan Hill. The answer is simple. I do not pay the expensive prices of San Francisco and also do not have to put up with the noise and polluted air. Morgan Hill is in the perfect location to all four famous locations, West is the Pacific Ocean, Santa Cruz and the Redwood forests, North San Francisco, East is Lake Tahoe, the High Sierra and of course Yosemite while South is Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. All within a day’s drive, return trip. Locally is shopping and the Gilroy Outlets. My last two trips I have flown to San Jose and miss out the traffic of San Francisco, would recommend that to anyone.

As for the Residence Inn Marriott it is truly your home away from home. I have been coming year after year and while some staff have changed over and I miss them, their replacements are just as friendly, sincere and inviting. Nothing, I mean nothing is too hard for them for example matches in the middle of the night for candles, spare batteries for remotes, anything. They treat you as part of their extended family, making you feel at home day or night.

As a Business Manager myself, I know your business survives because of the professionalism and loyalty of staff. Well done guys you have both. In the words of the 38th Governor of California - I will return :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
RIMorganHill, General Manager at Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
We appreciate your positive feedback and the fact that you come to visit our hotel year after year. It is our every intention to make every guest feel as if they are part of our family. From our friendly staff members to our comp breakfast buffet to our guestroom suites with full kitchens, We are truly home away from home! We look forward to you coming back and staying with us again next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morgan Hill
Comfort Inn Morgan Hill
Comfort Inn Morgan Hill
#5 of 13 in Morgan Hill
Best Western Plus Forest Park Inn

Been to Residence Inn San Jose South/Morgan Hill? Share your experiences!