“Making Better Wines These Days”
Review of Guglielmo Winery

Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Morgan Hill
San Jose, California
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Making Better Wines These Days”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

For most of it's history, Guglielmo was a producer of inexpensive bulk wines--"Dago Red" and "Dago White", if you will. None of it was much good except for those whose major criterion in buying wine is low cost--the type who buy the cheap foreign stuff at Cost Plus and insist it's good.

Some years ago they embarked on a program to improve quality. They now have a series of wines called "Tre" which are under $10.00 per 750ml. There's a market for that, just not to me. It's commercially acceptable, but no more. Their Estate wines are of better quality. Not Napa Valley or Paso Robles quality; but at around $20.00 per 750 ml. all six reds that I tasted were well worth the price. Tasting fee is a mere $5.00, and between reds and whites there are over a dozen offerings.

I was there on a Sunday. The place was packed for a bit with a tour group, but they left quickly. That gave me time to speak with Walt and Larry, the two "geezers" who pour the reds. Walt volunteers his time. Larry is paid. Both have been collecting Social Security for a while, and both are very engaging guys. The ladies who poured the whites were no spring chickens either, and not so freindly either. Guess you must be at or close to retirement to pour there.

The tasting room is also a shop, filled with kitschy stuff. Cheese is available for purchae. There is seating outside if you want to buy a bottle and picnic.

Visited May 2013

San Jose, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great tight family winery...includes the workers there!”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Okay, I'm not here to talk about the quality of wines since I am a newbie, but I have to say that their reds are strong and flavorful! Geez, being a light-wieght, I got a little bit tipsied out haha.

But the workers that poured my friend and I, our wines where just so friendly! Whites are poured in the front and reds are poured in the back. Which is practical, I must add, since it seems like serious wine tasters have more love for the reds. I can clearly remember, one of the tasters there say, he doesn't drink whites and for every red he tried, he looked and sounded like he was in heaven. It was quite amusing.

Anyways, I love the claustrophobic decor. The whole place is set up as a gift shop haha, with a seasonal display! The courtyard was full, due to some event, so I can't say much about it, but I went and explored the rest of the wine-grounds, due to my en-ability to walk straight. I needed to clear my system for I was the driver. The little stroll in the vines was nice and relaxing. Not much of a scenery since after the vines ended, all you see is an empty dirt field and then a walled up neighborhood...but all in all I enjoyed my experience.

Visited October 2012
chicago
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Tour and Tasting”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We set up a tour and tasting on Sunday October 28th as we were going to pass by the Winery on our way from Monterey to San Francisco. What a great decision that was. Larry gave us a very interesting tour and we got to see some of the original barrel from the start of the winery. The tasting was very generous and we sampled some excellent wines. If we were not flying home I would have bought several bottles of wine.

Visited October 2012
Los Banos, California, United States
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Add to your wine tasting tour”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a group go on the Passport Weekend wine tour last October. We rented a limo, etc. We enjoyed Guglielmo. Nice gift shop as well.

Visited October 2011
Honolulu
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Wow silicon valley wine, who knew?”
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Wow. I am no wine snob but I am no slouch either . We always meander through whatever wine country we happen to find ourselves in. This was on the map and we went. Some of their wines get high rating from Wine Spectator-a trusted soure. The tasting is $5 per person and about 6 wines tasted. Give or take. We had a lovely time got to talking and had way more but who's counting. Just like Napa and Sonoma credit for the tasting if you buy. This place is a find, excellent deli fare that you can take out and picnic if you like. The vinyard is beautiful and pastoral.