“Surprisingly Good.”

Cuisines: Barbecue
California
“Surprisingly Good.”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I've seen this place long time ago as it is just walking distance from home but never gave it a try bec. the place did not look inviting. Seems dark and dingy inside. Plus, when I yelped this place few months back, the reviews did not enticed at all.

The only reason I tried this place out was bec. my mother have informed me that she and my 16month old son visit this place regularly. Apparently, my son love BOB fries.

I ordered tri-meat combo (pork ribs, chicken and sausage) with fries. I ordered it TO GO because I really did not like the ambiance. It is hot, dark and musty inside. Hence, I was pleasantly surprise to really like their food. The BBQ sauce was sweet (guess that's why they call it SWEET BOB, lol) and moderately applied. Not heavy and tangy like other BBQ's place I've tried. The portions was not bad for $15. The meat was tender, it falls off the bones. But what I enjoyed most is that added smoked favor, smoked after taste. It's really good. The fries was not overcooked or dry, and it is well seasoned. Yep, my son loves it.

The price for me was reasonable. Staffs are also friendly and accommodating. They do like to "talk". lol. It is refreshing esp. if you're not in a hurry. You have to give this "hole in the wall" a chance. I will definitely come back here... I will not eat inside their restaurant though but will order TO GO instead.

• Visited August 2011

Moreno Valley, California
“A taste of Kansas City BBQ fixins in Moreno Valley”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

The very friendly owner, Bruce, explained that Sweet Bob's is actually spelled "B.O.B.'s BBQ", the abbrevi- ated moniker for their favorite baby girl, "Big Ole Baby" whose cute picture is on the wall. This restaurant has some rough edges and tremendous potential if certain things would improve. However if you are a true barbeque fan, come and enjoy the tasty varieties of fruitwood-smoked BBQ sandwiches according to the Kansas City school of how its done. There is no problem with the food, in my opinion... But, however:

The unusual "New Orleans" decor is a semi-funky red and black paint job with neon and copper tables. The printed menu and the overhead order boards are not entirely the same and I got confused. I had to repeat my order three times before the staff comprehended. They are skimpy on the so-called Texas toast and the condiments. But I do recommend the stronger BBQ sauce and also the sweet potato fries without the icing. Coca Cola products are served.

Caution! Sweet B.O.B.'s bathrooms were atrocious and need vast improvements. The kitchen, though, had an authentic look and feel. Parking is adequate and access is fairly easy off the Frederick-Pigeon Pass exit of the 60 Freeway. Although the decor is 'roadhouse', Sweet B.O.B.s is family-friendly.

Bottom line: They have great food and a high potential here to stand out but need to make the operation more 'user friendly' as mentioned. But if you are not picky or fussy, double order a rib tips with all the trimmin's then kick back, take your time and enjoy a plate of K.C. fixins at a reasonable price. You just might like the place.

• Visited October 2011