“Exceptional Service...Apparently, Not Always....”

Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valley
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Moreno Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
Moreno Valley, California
“Exceptional Service...Apparently, Not Always....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband chose this hotel because he has stayed at Ayres properties in the past, and has always enjoyed his stays. Aside from their very nice amenities, they also pride themselves on their customer service extended to their guests. My stay left me wondering if their customer service was really "all that". Here's what happened to me: I checked in for a break from the disruption of construction-work at my home ( about 5 miles away) hoping to use the time to do some much-need paperwork, and using my laptop. First problem, no one on staff that evening knew to tell me I needed an Ayres password to get online. It took my husband driving over to the hotel and working with me to figure out that that was all I needed to connect. Okay, no big deal, but still I ended up with a couple of hours of downtime trying to figure it out before my husband "rescued" me.

The next morning I made the mistake of going down for breakfast without my breakfast coupon. I didn't realize it was still in my room (third-floor, end of corridor) until the food preparer asked for it after preparing my meal. I made a second mistake when I went to the front desk to ask for a coupon, letting the attendant know that I had mistakenly left mine in my room, that my meal was already prepared, that I had my ID with me to show for verification, and that I didn't really want to go all the way back to my room for the original. Her response was a polite " We can't give you one. You'll have to go get the one in your room". "Don't worry, your food will still be warm when you get back". And, "our breakfast is so good that people come in from the street to try getting it free". I explained again that I was a guest, a female staying alone, and if she looked in her computer she could easily verify that. She was insistent that she couldn't nor wouldn't. I was too hungry to argue the point any further, so I made the trip back to my room, retrieved the coupon, and returned to the breakfast-area, now armed with the required credential to be served. As I passed by the corridor, the same attendant saw me and gave me a "thumbs-up" for my effort. That, after pretty-much telling me that I was too untrustworthy to be given a replacement coupon (after all, I could have been "one of them" that try getting free breakfast because the food is so good).

I later called down (reluctantly, after the breakfast incident) to extend my stay by a day, and was told by the same front desk person that I needed to come down to the lobby in order to do that, and to bring my credit-card as well as appropriate ID with me. I asked, "surely you're kidding, right?" She wasn't, even though she had all the relevant info already in her computer, but silly me, I went back down, in order to comply.

When I returned to my room I called hubby to let him know what had happened. He was not only surprised, but also disappointed in Ayres. He called corporate to find out if this was standard procedure, was directed to the voice-mail of the President of the company, Mr. Roos, and received a call back from Bruce (?). My husband told him of my service that morning, and left it to Mr. Bruce (?) to "handle" in whatever fashion Mr. Bruce (?) felt was needed. My husband asked for NOTHING, other than an explanation. There was very little response from Mr. Bruce (?) other than to say that he was "taking notes". He asked no questions of my husband. None.

I checked out the next morning, and never heard from the on-site manager, Mr. Jason Ward, nor was there any indication that my grievances were taken seriously at all. We never heard back from Mr. Bruce (?), nor anyone with the Ayres organization. I can't imagine this would have been the response if it were a competitive hospitality-chain. And, according to my husband, not even remotely CLOSE to what most folk's perception of the Ayres customer-service represents. But, it looks like, perhaps, someone just "dropped the ball" on this one. At least I'd like to think that. We both are very disappointed in not hearing back from anyone in the organization. And, sInce I never heard back from them, just be forewarned: DON'T forget your breakfast coupon, ASK for the password for Internet access, and be PREPARED to go to the front-desk, if you decide to extend your stay. All little things that individually, may not mean much, but collectively can mean a lot to someone who's been told to expect "exceptional service", and it just didn't happen. How unfortunate, because in the process and result, they lost two guests.

Room Tip: If you end up in a corner or near corner-room, and worse if on an upper-floor, make SURE you DON'...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Helen R
AyresHotels, Corporate Director of Revenue & Marketing at Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valley, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear Helen -

Please allow me to apologize for the service issues you experienced. These issues are in no way indicative of our hotel collection and we are deeply sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. The General Manager has taken the time to reinforce with the Front Desk the proper responses in situations like this that will be most accommodating to the guest. We would like to look into the situation further and invite you to respond the the direct message that was sent. Again, we apologize for this situation and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Matt Hildebrant
Corporate Director of Revenue & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Independence, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

This is one of the cleanest, most comfortable hotel we have ever stayed in. The employees were beyond informative and helpful. I am very picky about where I stay and do not compliment so easily. Our room price was very low because we went through an online reservation agency (Expedia). But the quality was beyond words.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valley, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear terrisutton -

Thank you so much for your very kind review of our hotel. We are always happy to learn we have made such a great impression on a guest. Any time a guest provides positive feedback, we are elated. When you next visit, feel free to give us a call and book directly for the best rates. Thank you again for your recommendation.

Regards,

Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visit Riverside frequently because our daughter is in college there. We love staying at the Ayres because of their people! The rooms are nice, the breakfast is delicious, but the people really make the difference.

Room Tip: The corner king-bed rooms are a bit more money, but the extra space is worth it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John K
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valley, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear John -

You are so kind. Thank you very much for your continued patronage and for telling the world about our hotel. I am fortunate enough to work with amazing team and each person who makes up a part of it loves his/her job and making sure guests are taken care of very well. I will be sure to pass along your comments to them. We are grateful for your review and look forward to your next visit.

Safe travels,

Mount Prospect Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel stay was just to rest for the night after flying in from Chicago prior to driving to Las Vegas. We got in kind of late and left early. After checking in we realized that our short stay was our loss. Every category for this hotel was exceptional. Thank you Ayres!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valley, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear kenm3333 -

We regret your short stay too! Thank YOU for making us your stopover on the way to Las Vegas. It was a privilege to be even that. I am so pleased you found your brief stay comfortable and hope you will allow us to welcome you back for a longer one very soon.

Warm regards,

Placerville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at your hotel in Moreno Valley. We do a lot of traveling and can honestly say that this is a fine hotel. It is very clean and well cared for. The happy hour was very nice. We stayed on a Tuesday which is taco night. The food was great! The service in the bar and outside was fast, friendly and a great value. The full breakfast the next morning was also very good. We will stay here again on our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Best hotel in Moreno Valley area!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I come to Moreno Valley at least once a month for business. I have tried a few different hotels, and this by far is the nicest one to stay at. Friendly staff, clean, well appointed rooms. The free breakfast always hits the spot at the beginning of the day. I just had to stay at the nearby Best Western, and I wish they had room at the Ayres instead.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now and the quality has been pretty consistent if not better each time. The rooms are very clean, the bathrooms too. The bed/bedding is very comfortable, the rooms are spacious. There is a fridge, microwave, coffee making machine. The location is great. The staff is very friendly from housekeeping to front desk and banquet coordinators. The staff is very well picked, everyone is very well presented and professional and friendly. Now, breakfast! The best breakfast I've had in any hotel I've stayed. Don't expect organic, but at this place there is something for every taste. The lovely ladies cooking the omelets are the best!!!!!! They are so much fun :) This hotel offers the best selection of food, eggs, egg whites, veggies, cold cuts for omelets, fruit, yogurt, waffles, cereal, coffee, tea, etc. We love to stay here! Thank you Ayres staff :)

• Stayed January 2013
Comfort Inn Moreno Valley near March Air Reserve Base
Ayres Hotel Redlands
Ayres Hotel Redlands
#1 of 9 in Redlands

Been to Ayres Hotel & Spa Moreno Valley? Share your experiences!