Best Western Markland Hotel
$89
$85
ComfortInn
Lincoln Plaza Hotel(Monterey Park)
$88
Hotels.com
Monterey Park Inn(Monterey Park)
$104
  • Restaurant
$123
$58
Alhambra Hotel(Alhambra)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsunderground parkinglos angeleswaffle machineeasy access to the freewayhard boiled eggsfree breakfastfitness roomla areacomfortable staybeds were comfortablethe breakfast areaconvenient locationclean hoteluniversal studiosnice roomenjoyed my staybusiness trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I booked a stay for 1 night at the Best Western Markland Hotel as I had meeting early in the morning in Downtown LA and had heard that the Best Western Markland Hotel would provide and enjoyable stay with the amentias one would want.
The room was not quite what you expect it to be; the room had an odor and was full of cob webs which really made me question the cleanliness of the hotel. The bathroom is smaller than a broom closet and difficult to maneuver in. The high speed wireless internet was non-existent if you tried to call tech which the front desk referred you to do the number they give you to call is non-working.

None of this compare to the lack of service which the staff provides. I've never been in a place which made me feel more unwelcomed than this. I wanted to take items from the continental breakfast to my room as needed to eat and run. I was rudely denied that ability by Simon the "continental breakfast police" who let me know that they have sign which makes this stipulation written in Chinese on wall by smacking it. They have a huge problem with fruit flies and store a can of bug spray on the table with the food. This made the food appear extremely unappetizing and unsanitary.

If you would like a satisfying quality stay do yourself a favor and don’t stay at the Best Western Markland Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank LVDan98Mar
rachmak, Owner at Best Western Markland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear LVDan98Mar,

We are sorry to hear that you had such a terrible experience with us. We are truly disturbed by the events that you wrote about in your review and have addressed our staff.

You mentioned that your room's cleanliness was not up to par. Since your stay, we've been upgrading to Best Western's "plus" program which places higher operating standards on us. One of the issues we addressed was the cleanliness of our hotel. We do know this is an area we have for improvement and we have re-trained our cleaning staff (and will continue to do so) until the rooms are held to the highest standard.

Regarding the WIFI problem you had, we too have addressed with during our annual audit with Best Western. We've installed 6 wireless routers and 2 routers for the common area. We believe that all the rooms should be getting a good connection now.

Finally, regarding the poor level of service you received, this is again very disturbing to us. Simon, the "breakfast police", is no longer working at the hotel for obvious reasons. Our breakfast areas, organization, and breakfast items have been re-vamped to the standards of Best Western's "plus" program.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. While your reviews were negative, they were very helpful in helping us identify our areas for improvement. We do hope that you'll give us a chance again in the future.

Jason

Reviewed July 13, 2009

dove wastes in balconies....very noisy over night
no wireless internet...or very slow internet only in the lobby...
100 bucks for cigarette butts in the waste baskets without smoking...
unpleasant staffs...very rude and don't know how to say "I'm sorry..."..
door pounding sounds every early morning, house keeping in that early morning? ....crazy!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank worstmarkland
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed for a week at this hotel. When we first checked in, we were given a room all the way in the back of the hotel which required a pretty long walk to get to. In addition, the view was of a deserted lot with a boarded up building. The walls were very thin and you could hear people all around you in adjacent rooms. The WiFi did not work at all in that location and was extremely unstable everywhere else except in the lobby area or within 40-50 feet of the lobby. Hotel is right next to a busy freeway so it is pretty noisy but if you have the AC on, it will drown out the traffic noise.

Hotel staff were extremely nice and helpful. They actually moved us closer to the lobby after I complained about the WiFi. However, the WiFi didn't work if you go too far pass the door. The routers they are using are probably cheap ones and we (including hotel staff) were unable to find any ethernet ports in either of the rooms that I could use instead. Free garage parking was nice as well as breakfast and a small gym. The rooms were pretty good size as well as the bathrooms. The location was pretty far if you plan to spend most of your time in the Vally Blvd area where are the shops and restaurants are.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jw1ucla
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Users may want to query the internet for this hotel and read all comments.

At check in, Daniel provided my wife and me the same room as Shenaid described in him/her posting (March, 2008). Upon entering, the room was dark, faced a vacant house, freeway 60 and the carpet needed a good cleaning. The room smelled of mildew and mold. I told Daniel at the front desk and he did offer to change my room, but at the time, I thought the room was still OK. My wife opened the bathroom window and we aired out the room for about 3 hours, but it made no difference. Later, my wife found the carpet damp adjacent to the air conditioning unit which probably caused the mildew/mold smell.

During the night, I could hear the person in the room above. It didn't prevent me from falling asleep; however, if he/she dropped something heavy, it would have awakened me.

The high speed internet jack is next to the TV on the opposite side of the room from the desk. I had to use the bed night stand when using my laptop which was very awkward.

During the night, the phone spontaneously rang. I attempted to call the front desk, but no one answered. I finally just disconnected the phone from the wall jack. At check out, I mentioned the damp carpet and the phone problem to the young lady at the front desk. Her reply was we were the third complaint regarding the phone problem and she would contact maintenance. I felt that if one person complained, it would be something they would correct, instead of waiting for many people to complain. She said nothing about the damp carpet and whether she would have maintenance correct the problem.

The breakfast room was a positive offering of the hotel. The complementary breakfast was average in their selections. I noticed that AAA gave this hotel a triple diamond rating for 2009, but this is based on the number of offerings by the hotel, including a complementary breakfast. The hotel does have a fitness room and a spa room. The spa room was clean and appeared to be maintained well. The fitness room was out of order and closed during our stay.

There was no express checkout.

The two positive characteristics of this hotel is the jacuzzi type bathtub and the free parking. Overall, I would have to give this hotel a poor rating, because it does need a lot of maintenance. If I were Best Western, I'd cut my losses and take their name off of this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pomimi
Reviewed November 19, 2008

Stayed at the Markland Hotel on my way back from a business trip in Vegas, and because i was very tried from driving, i've decided to stay at this hotel on my way back home in SF. I stayed in a King size room and it was very large compared to the Vegas Hotel room and the price was EXCELLENT!!! With my 3A member card, I got the room for a bit under $100 with tax included. The best thing about this hotel is the bed (A+++++) but the breakfast was rather poor, but with the price I have paid, I can't really complain.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)