All reviewslos angelesfree parkingla areafree breakfastbreakfast roomhard boiled eggscomfortable stayconvenient locationclean hotelnice roomjazminebwconsrateshollywood
Reviewed September 14, 2017

Was everything I needed for a business trip. Loved the living space in the room for working and the powerful WiFi made it easy to get work done. Even made it down to the hot tub for a long soak after my day of work. Not a lot of restaurants close to the hotel, but I used the "Door Dash" app recommended by the font desk and I got a great meal delivered in about 45 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2017

For sure, fantastic proximity to downtown Los Angeles. Great parking. Some staff are friendly but majority basically gave the cold shoulder. There was a young lady at the front desk whose name I can't quite remember, but she was Fantastic!!! Great service from her. She only works the morning shift. Literally next door to a petrol station, Walmart is no more than a 6 to 8 minute drive Northbound of the hotel. Not very family oriented and safety is of grave concern as it pertains to kids. Hotel literally siting on a main road. If kids get away from parents, they can run directly on that road towards the front of the hotel.

My room I was told would have been an upgraded room because it was recently renovated but if that was renovated, I don't want to see the unrenovated rooms. Found German roaches in my bath room. The hotel was actually in the middle of renovations when we got there. You could see the yellow caution tape blocking off certain areas of the hotel. Quite disappointing for a California hotel.

Feels like somewhere a truck driver would stay after being on the road for over 18hrs.

The buffet breakfast was ok, I must admit that. Not much of a variety though. Sitting area for breakfast...way too small. My mom and I on the first day had to wait for persons to finish having breakfast for us to dine. And too make it worst, if you are late by a minute for breakfast, you're locked out!!! Yes they literally lock the breakfast area.

Not going to return there...sadly and not going to recommend

Room Tip: Room 314 is definitely a quiet room.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2017

We arrived at 11:30PM and couldn't find parking. There is a pub in front of the hotel and was very loud. The staff at the hotel told me that guests in that pub took most of the parking spots so we had to park at the gas station next door. They will move our car once there is parking spots available. This is very distracting especially we are all very tired. The room was not clean. The sheet in bed is almost black color and quite disgusting. Another annoying thing is that the air conditioner in room is very loud and we didn't get good sleep.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWMarkland, General Manager at Best Western Markland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2017

Dear Xiaoyan C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am sorry that we were unable to provide you with an excellent experience.

You are correct that there is a restaurant and bar across from our hotel's lobby. Occasionally, they host events that have a large draw and that many attend. When this happens, our limited garage parking can get a little over crowded. I do work with the restaurant's owner and managers to try to mitigate the impact, but sometimes it can be difficult due to the physical limitations of the building and space. Thankfully, this is not a regular issue, and only happens on occasion. I regret that it was something that caused a disturbance during your stay with us. I understand how frustrating it can be, especially when arriving late after a days traveling.

Additionally, I wanted to address the sheets you mentioned. We only have white sheets, duvet covers, and pillow cases throughout the hotel. Among other things, this affords us the ability to use bleach when laundering our bedding. We replace the bedding in our guest rooms each day with freshly washed/laundered bedding, with only a few exceptions. If a guest has a Do-Not-Disturb sign on the door, we won't enter the room, and thus would not be able to replace the bedding. Or if a guest places the placard we have in our rooms to conserve water and energy to not wash the bedding, then we won't at that time either. I apologize if there were any misunderstanding with my housekeeping in regards to that. We also regularly replace worn or stained bedding to ensure they are clean and fresh.

Again, I apologize for not being able to provide you with an excellent experience during your stay with us. We are still undergoing renovations throughout the hotel to bring the hotel forward and to offer our guests new amenities. I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity once we have completed these renovations.

Danton Lam
Best Western Markland Hotel

Reviewed August 26, 2017

Had a good overall experience. I was really pleased with the room; it was clean and looked nice. The lobby/elevator was a bit dated but the room was great. The front entrance was blocked off because of construction so you have to enter from the underground parking which wasn't an issue. Great breakfast options and I loved the waffle machine.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2017

I was really disappointed with this hotel, its stuck in the middle of nowhere with freeways all around it, the room we had smelt of damp and the window where the shower is was disgusting and dirty, looked like it hadn't been cleaned for ages, i wish i got a photo of it, we had to ask for another room, it was so noisy on the one night we stayed in the room because of the traffic. The air con was so loud we couldn't sleep and the windows don't open at all, not that we would open the window because it would of been even louder than it was. The scenery was also crap, we saw freeways and a petrol station.

Room Tip: Just don't go there.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
BWMarkland, General Manager at Best Western Markland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2017

Dear Karenmoore43,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with our hotel.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay with us. It saddens me to hear that your stay was so dissatisfying. We are currently still under renovations throughout the property, as we are looking to bring the entire property forward, and bring to our guests a modern and fresh feel with new amenities. These projects are time extensive however, so I do appreciate that our guests are patient with us during this growing period.

Additionally, there is little we can do about where we are located. You are correct that we are located "in the middle of nowhere", however, there is only one freeway passing by us, which offers our guests easy access on/off the highway. We do not typically have guests complain about road noise from the highway as it is a bit away from us, and the highway isn't as active at night. Additionally, our location is also considered the middle of everything for those who wish to stay in one central location and travel to all the local attractions such as Downtown L.A., Hollywood, Universal, Santa Monica, Disneyland, and others, since we are approximately 30 minutes from most of those local attractions. Another thing worthy of note is that there is currently new a development of land by the City of Monterey Park very near to us (less than a quarter mile) that will be a very large shopping center. There will be many restaurants and shopping choices for our guests once they're completed.

Again, I want to stress my apologies for not providing you with an exceptional experience. We always strive to offer our guests the best service and accommodations, and we were unable to do so for you. We take all of our guests' experiences, comments and opinions very seriously, and we use them to improve ourselves so other guests may not have a similar experience.

Danton Lam