“Low Cost Not Worth the Problems”

Best Western Markland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monterey Park
Reviewed March 6, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for one night while I conducted business in the area and I had a bad experience. The first room that I was assigned was too close to the 60 freeway (I am sensitive to noise), dark, and had an undesirable view of a boarded up, vacant house. The second room was not as dark and noisy, but it smelled awful. However, by the time I arrived in the second room, I had to prepare for a business meeting, so I ran out of time to change rooms again. I wish I had the time to change rooms because the second room smelled terribly bad. Even though the hotel is a nonsmoking establishment, I am sure someone smoked like a chimney in this room. I borrowed air spray from the hotel to mask the odor and left the window open for five hours, but the horrible smell persisted. In addition, the toilet broke in the middle of the night. It would not flush. After repeated attempts to flush it, it overflowed. Yuck! It was not repaired during my visit, so I had to use the toilet in the lobby.

On the positive side, the breakfast was satisfying, the bed was comfortable, and the door to the room was thick and quiet. I rarely heard activity outside the room.

All in all, I felt traumatized by my stay at the Best Western Markland Hotel. I am resolved to be more careful about the next place that I stay. The low cost of the room ( $109.75 for two queen sized beds including tax) was not worth the hassles.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
BWMarklandHotel, Manager at Best Western Markland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2009

Dear Tripadvisor:

Thank You for your comment, and I would to apologize for the inconvenience that you have experienced during your stay at the Best Western Markland Hotel. We are constantly trying to improve our guests' experience with us. I have already address your comments during our monthly meeting in December, and we would like to have a second chance to prove to you that our standard of service and accommodations are unique and comparable to a high-end 3 star hotel (which we are). If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at anytime by email, phone, or fax. Once again, I would like to apologize on behave of the hotel staff, and I would very much like for you to come back and give us another try and to see our changes since our department meeting in December.

Best Wishes,

Best Western Markland Hotel

Reviewed August 11, 2007

i was surprised and very pleased at this hotel. one never knows what to expect when paying less than $100. the hotel was completely SMOKE FREE, clean smelling, front desk was very
helpful w/ map directions. our room had nice fluffy pillows (not those typical flat spongey type) and the best part- down comforters! the mattress was pillow top which added comport. what more do you need?! oh yes, it even had a mini frig to store our drinks. the maids were all smiling and at the continental breakfast they kept the coffee going and food supplied without issue. there was also ample parking in the underground garage.
connie g.
san marcos, ca

Reviewed July 29, 2007

its a ghetto motel and a ghetto city. Outside looks horrible and the inside smells like pigs. theres a lot of gangsters around tha motel.
ill never come back to the city or the motel. sucks....

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank smackdown1013
rachmak, Owner at Best Western Markland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear Sir,

I'm really sorry about your bad experience at our hotel. Please rest assured that since our hotel was renovated, we have been attracting to clientele. We understand that the prior operations of this hotel were not very stringent and some suspect individuals used to frequent the establishment, but since the hotel was converted to a Best Western Plus, we now cater to overseas tourism, business travelers, and vacationers.

We are currently working very hard to raise the operating expectations of our teams and we do hope that next time you are in the area, that you'll consider staying with us again.

Jason

Reviewed July 4, 2007

the room is fine.., but the wireless internet wasn't working. called front desk. been told they will try to fix it, until check out next day..still don't work. also, front desk lady give phone line instead cable line for internet use..., i don't think she knows anything about computer...., after complian while check out.., the staff didn't show any care in anyway...., which makes people upset..

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple

Dear Fanja,

Thank you for your comment regarding your stay with us at the Best Western Markland Hotel. First of all, I like to apologize for not responding to your review for so long as today is my first day to sign up with the tripadvisor. At the Best Western Markland Hotel, we have had a few complains regarding our Wireless Internet Access; since early 2008, the hotel has upgraded it's wireless equipments and now we're running 6 wireless routers to cover all the rooms and 2 additional routers to cover the public areas. Hotel has since gone under a few employee training programs that emphasized on "I Care" customer service. I hope that you will come back and give us another try to prove to you our new standards in both customer service and our Internet Connection.

Reviewed May 31, 2007

Spent two nights at the Markland at the end of a long roadtrip in the United States. My room was excellent. It seemed to be recently renovated and included an armchair, spacious desk are and even a balcony. The location is great and makes it easy to get to the major LA attractions. The bed was particularly comfortable. There was plenty of underground parking and I found the whole experience to be effortless. If I have to complain about something in order to provide a balanced review, I would say that the water pressure in the bathroom was rather low. This is a very minor criticism of a very fine hotel. The staff were friendly and efficient. I did not have breakfast at the hotel, but found a number of fast food outlets and restaurants nearby. Clean, comfortable, spacious and half an hour from LAX (unless you hit traffic), this is a great hotel that I can recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Humbridge
Reviewed May 6, 2007

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on the end of our trip in April. Our overall experience was good and after staying in a lot of hotels in America I would say it was average.
We thought the room was lovelly, it was big in size clean and also smelt very clean when you walked in which was nice to have.
The breakfast was ok nothing to brag about but, as free cant complain.
The front counter staff were very helpful and even printed us out directions to differnet places we wanted to go to.
The check in and out process was very efficent and simple

The only downside of our stay and not entirely the fault of the hotel - was at 0045hrs my partner and I were woken up by youths shouting/screaming and running up and down the corriders and this went on till about 0330-0400hrs. The next morning I went to complain to the staff at reception who were very appologetic and I have to say apart from being sleepy it hadnt been too bad for us as didnt have children but other people staying had young children who had been woken up and been scared by it all. The staff stated they did try to calm the college kids down who were aged between 18-21yrs -- I feel that even though the staff at the hotel tried to calm them down after about an hour they should have called the police to deal as they and the leader of the group couldnt control them. This would then have stopped alot of anxiety being caused to quite a few people and would have avoided disappointment in what otherwise was a good stay. We were assured that it wouldnt happen again and it didnt.

The hotel was in a good location next to a freeway and so easy to get to all the places we wanted to see in the short time we were there.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2007

We stayed one night on our way back home. We decided to go with this hotel based on previous reviews. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. The only downside is the wall is kinda thin, you can hear people next door talking. And breakfast was very minimal (even by Best Western Standard). But since we based our decision on the price that we paid & the quality of the room, we would definitely come back in the future.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
Best Western Plus Carriage Inn
#39 of 354 in Los Angeles
Harbor
Best Western Los Angeles Worldport Hotel

Been to Best Western Markland Hotel? Share your experiences!