“Great Value Hotel - IN Depth Review”

BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monterey Park
alberta
“Great Value Hotel - IN Depth Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

I read the reviews for this place on here prior to coming to this hotel... and honestly I nearly canceled my reservation.

I personally believe if you are going to 'take a reviewers info' as your guide, it would be best to know a bit about their standard and how they live at home. So here is a bit about me... I am a mom of 2 kids, I live in Alberta, Canada in a 1700 square foot 3 bedroom house, with a double garage, in a suburb of a big city (over 1 million people) I like my home tidy, and clean it diligently. My husband and I travel to hotels at least once very few months. We have been to 5 star, 2 star and everything in between. This trip to this hotel is our 4th trip to California this year alone!

Now lets talk about this hotel, our room was tidy, and the bed even though it squeeks, was comfortable. The sheets were clean, plenty of pillows on the bed. 2 king size and 3 regular size, as well as a round bolster for decoration. Parking was great, and FREE! Several other hotels in the area charged a fee. Access to the highway was easy! There was a Shell on the corner, but it closed down. I came and left this hotel, early morning, and late night, for 7 nights! I never felt scared in the area, nor uncomfortable, there is a great Walmart Supercenter shopping area 3 miles away. It is very central to Disneyland, and Beverly Hills. This visit it was just myself and my husband, however, I would not hesitate to come stay here with my children. We drove the streets around the hotel, and I would not say it is a ghetto area. I was just in San Diego a few months ago, paid double the price to stay in an area called Balboa Park and the hotel was much much scarier as was the area.

The elevator was old, but worked, and the continental breakfast was great (especially since it was free) there was toast, bagels, waffles, eggs, fruit, oatmeal, cold cereal, coffee, juice, muffins, and pastry items. (most people if honest with theselves eat something like this every morning at home anyway)

The maid service was great, even though we hung our towels to re-use them, they replaced them with fresh ones daily, the bed was always made nicely, and the carpets we vacuumed. If one wants to be really picky the very corners of the room had a bit of built up dust, but honestly most homes I go to have the same thing if not worse!! (not mine as I Am pretty anal about edging with my vacuum but many are not)

So if you are looking for the Ritz (then this is not it) go pay $500 a night (which would be about 8 times the price of this place) or spend your $75-100 a night and save the money for a comfortable stay, and spend the rest shopping! :)

Oh and one last thing, the tub was awesome!!! We had a huge soaker bathtub (no jets) and it did not cost us anything extra! We booked right online at Best Western.com and got the cheapest room (one with a king bed) I would definitely return, and I would recommend it to someone else.

Room Tip: Our room faced the highway (hwy 60) and it was pretty quiet, however if you are looking for absolute...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank canada134

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Foster City, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

Buyer beware!!! This hotel is "The Ghettos". Expedia/Hotwire sold this to me through their Unpublished Rate program. It was advertised as a 3.5 star hotel. I couldn't stay there after seeing the hotel room. Hotel was so filthy. Elevator is dirty. Corridor and room smell bad. I had to check in at another hotel and forego 3 nights of non-refundable room charges.

I agree with Clarence H.'s Yelp review. This is probably the worst hotel I have ever been to and I am not fussy at all. I checked in another 3 star hotel and was perfectly fine there. I do not recommend staying here at all.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Colleen Y
rachmak, Owner at BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Colleen,

We are sorry for your bad experience when you came to our hotel. However, please note that since your visit, new management has taken the reigns and is trying to turn the hotel around. Cleanliness is one of our top priorities and we are performing daily sweeps to make sure that common areas as well as individual rooms are clean.

Since your post, we've also been in the process of upgrading to the Best Western Plus program. This franchising program places very high operating standards on us to keep the property updated, rooms clean, and service level high. We are confident that we have improved since your last visit.

Again, please accept my apologies for your unhappy experience when coming here but rest assured your comments were taken seriously and being addressed.

Travelers are raving about these Monterey Park hotels

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

After booking this hotel we kept hearing horror stories about East Los Angeles, but during our stay we had no bad experiences whatsoever. 7 miles from Downtown, and another 10 from there will take you to old school Hollywood. The staff were great, rooms were big, free breakfast, and free parking in a garage under the hotel was a great asset.

The positioning for us was perfect, as LA's roads are very conjested it was very easy for us to get on the road when we headed out towards the Grand Canyon. Would reccommend to others and would stay again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank duffduffmcduff
Tyler, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

This hotel was an excellent choice for our 2-day stay in L.A.,CA- nice furnitures, clean rooms, clean carpets, good size bathroom, big breakfast area, had a wonderful b'fast and very corteous front office people. Just a 10-15 mins. drive from L.A., the price is very reasonable compared to those in downtown areas. The spa was very good for me after long hours of driving from TX with no rest areas open along I-40 W entering California. Will definitely stay again in this hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

Never, ever, ever again. Thanks to Hotwire.com, I got stuck at this dismal location. Besides never using Hotwire.com again, I'll never stay at a Best Western again (that makes a first AND last on both accounts). The common areas are in disrepair and absolutely filthy. The room, at first glance, appears "okay", but upon further inspection, the filth is evident. The carpet looks as if it hasn't ever been vacuumed. The walls, ceilings and floors seem to be constructed out of a single layer of plywood. Not only can one hear every noise around them, but the ceiling creaks whenever someone above my room walks. My room is directly over the "fitness center" so every morning I can hear creaky old fitness equipment below me. There is absolutely nothing good to say about this property. And regarding location -- be sure to bring your bulletproof vest and stay indoors. It's a scary area and surrounded by parts of LA known to be inhabited by some of LA's infamous gangs. There are no good restaurants nearby at all. The hotel free wireless internet is slower than my dial-up service when I was a freshman in college in 1992. In short -- the entire hotel is a disaster.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank germatt2
Dear Germatt2,

Thank you for taking the time to post and we sincerely apologize for your bad experience at our hotel.

Since your stay, we have been undergoing an initiative to upgrade to Best Western's "plus" program which places higher expectations and operating standards for us, the operators.

You mentioned that "the filth was evident" in your room. This is very disturbing to us as owners and since working with Best Western in their "plus" program, our housekeeping staff has been re-trained in order to provide a higher level of cleanliness in each room. We will continue to demand that our cleaning staff to have a discerning eye and not cut any corners.

Regarding your mention of the old carpet, we are in process of replacing common area carpets. If you choose to come again, we hope you can see this. We also hope that the higher quality carpet we are installing will dampen noises caused by other guests.

Finally as part of the "plus" program, we have upgraded our WIFI routers We know that there were some bad wifi spots so we are continuing to work on addressing this.

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments are welcome and we will use them as an "internal report" card to address issues with our team.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

This is a budget hotel for Business travellers... the rooms were nice and clean ( carpet on the floor can be washed once in a while :))....the breakfast was OK but the staff were helpful... wifi was weak in evening when many other guests came in but the fixed line internat was strong.... this place is near to many malls and costco and walmart....and ya there is an Enterprise car rental just 1 mile from hotel..

overall a decent hotel but they could help businedd travellers with a microwave

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear Jeet_Junior,

Thanks for your positive comments on our hotel. We appreciate it!

As for your comments on the WIFI, this is certainly something we have been looking into. We hope that if you choose to stay with us again in the future, that this will not be an issue.

Regards,

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed 4 nights. First of all you can HEAR EVERYTHING from the room above you to the rooms next you. It was horrible when your 9yr old kid kept asking what is that noise. Very uncomfortable. Breakfast is a joke! according to them breakfast runs from 7am to 10am. we got to breakfast at 8:30 and it was all gone including coffee. i asked the lady in charge if she is going to replenish the food and she said no once its gone theres no more. I couldnt believe it. What upset me the most was that this Independently owned Hotel is owned my an Asian person becuase the breakfast was catered completely to them. there was 3 large hot pans full of this very bland watered down rice and some other stuff that i wouldnt imagine eating. The cleaning staff did not clean our room or give us extra towels until my husband left a $10 tip then they left 2 extra clean towels and cleaned up properly. i also requested a double bed room and they said they were completely book and they us a King size bed. This place wasnt booked at all the parking lot was empty cause people new better not to stay there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Zz281,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We are very sorry that you had a bad stay with us but wanted to let you know that we have taken your review very seriously and we are addressing these complaints with our staff.

Since your stay, we have upgraded our breakfast facility and offerings to reflect the Best Western "plus" standards that we are now required to operate under. This includes fresh fruit, cereal, waffles, toast, and juices. In response to the "bland watered down rice", that you mention, this is Chinese porridge and since we sometimes have Asian tourists stay with us, we prepare this breakfast for them. However, in the future, we will also make sure that there is enough Western breakfast items for all our other guests as well.

As for your comment on the cleaning staff, we are sorry to hear this and we do not tolerate this. Please rest assured that since your stay, our staff has been re-trained and we are continuing to try to raise our service level.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monterey Park
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Montebello
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Rosemead
BEST WESTERN Norwalk Inn
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Pico Rivera

Been to BEST WESTERN Markland Hotel? Share your experiences!