“Spend your money elsewhere!”

Best Western Markland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Monterey Park
Chicago, Illinois
“Spend your money elsewhere!”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed 4 nights. First of all you can HEAR EVERYTHING from the room above you to the rooms next you. It was horrible when your 9yr old kid kept asking what is that noise. Very uncomfortable. Breakfast is a joke! according to them breakfast runs from 7am to 10am. we got to breakfast at 8:30 and it was all gone including coffee. i asked the lady in charge if she is going to replenish the food and she said no once its gone theres no more. I couldnt believe it. What upset me the most was that this Independently owned Hotel is owned my an Asian person becuase the breakfast was catered completely to them. there was 3 large hot pans full of this very bland watered down rice and some other stuff that i wouldnt imagine eating. The cleaning staff did not clean our room or give us extra towels until my husband left a $10 tip then they left 2 extra clean towels and cleaned up properly. i also requested a double bed room and they said they were completely book and they us a King size bed. This place wasnt booked at all the parking lot was empty cause people new better not to stay there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
rachmak, Owner at Best Western Markland Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear Zz281,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. We are very sorry that you had a bad stay with us but wanted to let you know that we have taken your review very seriously and we are addressing these complaints with our staff.

Since your stay, we have upgraded our breakfast facility and offerings to reflect the Best Western "plus" standards that we are now required to operate under. This includes fresh fruit, cereal, waffles, toast, and juices. In response to the "bland watered down rice", that you mention, this is Chinese porridge and since we sometimes have Asian tourists stay with us, we prepare this breakfast for them. However, in the future, we will also make sure that there is enough Western breakfast items for all our other guests as well.

As for your comment on the cleaning staff, we are sorry to hear this and we do not tolerate this. Please rest assured that since your stay, our staff has been re-trained and we are continuing to try to raise our service level.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment,

Jason

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 23, 2011

The rooms were very nice as were the staff and continental breakfast. The location was very good and a short drive away from Pasadena.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed February 20, 2010

We came down to LA for a wedding and spent five nights at the hotel. Every staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The breakfast was excellent, not to mention it's free. I couldn't remember when was the last time I have people made me waffle from scratch! The rice portridge was cooked perfect. Together with the fried peanuts and the spicy tunips, it warms one's stomach . Coffee and tea are readily avaiable in the lobby throughout the day. The breakfast room closes at 9am. It would be nice if there is an on site restaurant so that one can get lunch and dinner without stepping out of the hotel. However, the location of the hotel is closed to the freeways and the local restaurants district are really not that far away. The WiFi service is quite robust and is free also. I have no problem working on my labtop in my hotel room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Vegas Baby
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I booked a stay for 1 night at the Best Western Markland Hotel as I had meeting early in the morning in Downtown LA and had heard that the Best Western Markland Hotel would provide and enjoyable stay with the amentias one would want.
The room was not quite what you expect it to be; the room had an odor and was full of cob webs which really made me question the cleanliness of the hotel. The bathroom is smaller than a broom closet and difficult to maneuver in. The high speed wireless internet was non-existent if you tried to call tech which the front desk referred you to do the number they give you to call is non-working.

None of this compare to the lack of service which the staff provides. I've never been in a place which made me feel more unwelcomed than this. I wanted to take items from the continental breakfast to my room as needed to eat and run. I was rudely denied that ability by Simon the "continental breakfast police" who let me know that they have sign which makes this stipulation written in Chinese on wall by smacking it. They have a huge problem with fruit flies and store a can of bug spray on the table with the food. This made the food appear extremely unappetizing and unsanitary.

If you would like a satisfying quality stay do yourself a favor and don’t stay at the Best Western Markland Hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank LVDan98Mar
Dear LVDan98Mar,

We are sorry to hear that you had such a terrible experience with us. We are truly disturbed by the events that you wrote about in your review and have addressed our staff.

You mentioned that your room's cleanliness was not up to par. Since your stay, we've been upgrading to Best Western's "plus" program which places higher operating standards on us. One of the issues we addressed was the cleanliness of our hotel. We do know this is an area we have for improvement and we have re-trained our cleaning staff (and will continue to do so) until the rooms are held to the highest standard.

Regarding the WIFI problem you had, we too have addressed with during our annual audit with Best Western. We've installed 6 wireless routers and 2 routers for the common area. We believe that all the rooms should be getting a good connection now.

Finally, regarding the poor level of service you received, this is again very disturbing to us. Simon, the "breakfast police", is no longer working at the hotel for obvious reasons. Our breakfast areas, organization, and breakfast items have been re-vamped to the standards of Best Western's "plus" program.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. While your reviews were negative, they were very helpful in helping us identify our areas for improvement. We do hope that you'll give us a chance again in the future.

Jason

Travelers are raving about these Monterey Park hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed July 13, 2009

dove wastes in balconies....very noisy over night
no wireless internet...or very slow internet only in the lobby...
100 bucks for cigarette butts in the waste baskets without smoking...
unpleasant staffs...very rude and don't know how to say "I'm sorry..."..
door pounding sounds every early morning, house keeping in that early morning? ....crazy!!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank worstmarkland
NY
Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed for a week at this hotel. When we first checked in, we were given a room all the way in the back of the hotel which required a pretty long walk to get to. In addition, the view was of a deserted lot with a boarded up building. The walls were very thin and you could hear people all around you in adjacent rooms. The WiFi did not work at all in that location and was extremely unstable everywhere else except in the lobby area or within 40-50 feet of the lobby. Hotel is right next to a busy freeway so it is pretty noisy but if you have the AC on, it will drown out the traffic noise.

Hotel staff were extremely nice and helpful. They actually moved us closer to the lobby after I complained about the WiFi. However, the WiFi didn't work if you go too far pass the door. The routers they are using are probably cheap ones and we (including hotel staff) were unable to find any ethernet ports in either of the rooms that I could use instead. Free garage parking was nice as well as breakfast and a small gym. The rooms were pretty good size as well as the bathrooms. The location was pretty far if you plan to spend most of your time in the Vally Blvd area where are the shops and restaurants are.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jw1ucla
fresno, ca
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Users may want to query the internet for this hotel and read all comments.

At check in, Daniel provided my wife and me the same room as Shenaid described in him/her posting (March, 2008). Upon entering, the room was dark, faced a vacant house, freeway 60 and the carpet needed a good cleaning. The room smelled of mildew and mold. I told Daniel at the front desk and he did offer to change my room, but at the time, I thought the room was still OK. My wife opened the bathroom window and we aired out the room for about 3 hours, but it made no difference. Later, my wife found the carpet damp adjacent to the air conditioning unit which probably caused the mildew/mold smell.

During the night, I could hear the person in the room above. It didn't prevent me from falling asleep; however, if he/she dropped something heavy, it would have awakened me.

The high speed internet jack is next to the TV on the opposite side of the room from the desk. I had to use the bed night stand when using my laptop which was very awkward.

During the night, the phone spontaneously rang. I attempted to call the front desk, but no one answered. I finally just disconnected the phone from the wall jack. At check out, I mentioned the damp carpet and the phone problem to the young lady at the front desk. Her reply was we were the third complaint regarding the phone problem and she would contact maintenance. I felt that if one person complained, it would be something they would correct, instead of waiting for many people to complain. She said nothing about the damp carpet and whether she would have maintenance correct the problem.

The breakfast room was a positive offering of the hotel. The complementary breakfast was average in their selections. I noticed that AAA gave this hotel a triple diamond rating for 2009, but this is based on the number of offerings by the hotel, including a complementary breakfast. The hotel does have a fitness room and a spa room. The spa room was clean and appeared to be maintained well. The fitness room was out of order and closed during our stay.

There was no express checkout.

The two positive characteristics of this hotel is the jacuzzi type bathtub and the free parking. Overall, I would have to give this hotel a poor rating, because it does need a lot of maintenance. If I were Best Western, I'd cut my losses and take their name off of this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Montebello
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Rosemead
Best Western Norwalk Inn
Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Pico Rivera

Been to Best Western Markland Hotel? Share your experiences!