“Comfortable hotel experience”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Monterey Park
Stockton, CA
“Comfortable hotel experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2008

Stayed in Monterey Park overnight on business. Basically, I was just looking for a place to sleep. I was pleased at the hotel. Comfortable bed, flat screen TV, free internet, free breakfast. The pool wasn't much to look at, but I never used it either. There are plenty of restaurants in the area to choose from. Currently, they are constructing a mall next door, so mornings tend to be a bit noisy.

• Liked — Comfortable room, nothing too fancy, but great for a simple stay.
  • Disliked — Noise of construction in the morning.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2008

During our two weeks in California/Nevada, I would have to say that this was the best out of the three hotels/motels we stayed at.

At first we didn't know what to expect; we've always stayed at hotels because we've always been sceptical about the idea of staying at a motel. The connotation of motels for us wasn’t a positive one. We expected the worse, we imagined the worse... but after opening the door to our rooms and settling down our luggage, it exceeded our expectations and we breathed a sigh of relief.

The rooms were spacious and consisted of all the usual basic things i.e. mini fridge, table and chairs, iron and ironing board, coffee maker, hairdryer, flat screen television etc. The best were the king size beds. They were massive (compared to the other hotels we've previously stayed at) and they were comfortable; the bed sheets were cleaned everyday and thankfully they didn't have any funny stench to it like some of the other bed sheets do in other hotels/motels.

The sink and hairdryer is outside the bathroom which I thought was a plus, especially if you're sharing a room with someone else i.e. you don't have to wait for them to finish using the whole bathroom if you just want to wash your hands or dry your hair. We did however find the bathroom too small and sometimes we'd feel claustrophobic. Although there was an air ventilator in there (which we couldn't find but we could hear), it didn't seem to work because the bathroom ended up like a steam room after a hot shower.

As well as the bed sheets, the bathroom was cleaned everyday, the towels were changed everyday and the bins were emptied everyday. Everything was meeting our standards and we were satisfied.

There is a small scary looking laundry room at the back of the motel in the car park area. This is self service; you'd have to buy your own detergent to clean your own clothes.

We had breakfast there almost everyday; I can't remember what time it started but it finished at 9:30am everyday. The breakfast area is quite small and sometimes it got quite busy and there would be no seats so you would have to wait for approximately 5-10 minutes until a table is free. They had the basics of cereal, waffles, toast, eggs, juice and coffee etc.

There's also a computer in the lobby with Internet access which guests can use; Internet is apparently free for guests for the first 15 minutes, however I'm pretty sure we exceeded 15 minutes on a few occasions but they didn't say anything to us.

I can't really comment on location because we hired a car out for our trip in LA and everything seemed far away from each other anyway! However if you're planning to stay at this motel, it's probably best if you had a car... but then again, LA is the second largest city in the states and it's best to have a car regardless as to where you are in LA.

There is a general supermarket store (Ralph's) approximately 5 minutes walk away, a Chinese supermarket across the road and a few small cafes/restaurants along the main road. We went to a Chinese restaurant along the main road for some dim sum one afternoon - if I can remember, I think it was called Ocean Star Seafood - which we thought was horrendous. It was massive and of course, very busy on Sundays; it took ages to get any food/drinks and the service was appalling.

On the whole, we were very satisfied with this motel. It definitely exceeded our expectations! The only problem I found with the rooms was the fact that they didn't have any air con; sometimes it got a bit too warm and stuffy. Other than that, the price was decent, the rooms were spacious and clean, there were always parking spaces for us outside our rooms, people were friendly; we were generally happy!

• Liked — Room.
  • Disliked — No Air Con.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank kimmydotcom
Vancouver
Reviewed June 21, 2008

I go to the LA area quite often visiting friends and family and have stayed at a number of different hotels/motels. It's the first time I stayed at this one. The room was quite spacious and everything was OK, except the front desk wasn't helpful and refused to take messages for us. They don't have an automated answering machine either. (I am not talking about tons of phone calls, just 2 or 3 a day). I will think twice before booking this hotel again.

• Liked — spacious room
  • Disliked — unhelpful front desk
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank WalkieTalkie
Golden Valley, MN
Reviewed May 9, 2008

Stayed for 2 nights and thought the overall quality was good. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and nicely furnished. The staff was friendly and helpful. There's also the added benefit of an outdoor whirlpool, and a reasonable continental breakfast (i.e. - cereal, waffle, eggs, toast, juices, milk).

• Liked — cleanliness and comfort
  • Disliked — location is a bit far from the beach
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2008

We stayed at this hotel due to its proximity to the LA area and its price and the free off road parking. The room was nice a good size - though the bathroom was a little small, it was very quiet at night and the staff very polite. Kids were disappointed with the plasma TV as most of the channels were in a foreign language we think Korean?? So they could watch but didn't understand a word. This is another hotel that we'd recommend asking for extra pillows unless you like sleeping without - they flatten to almost nothing.

• Liked — Price was very good value for money
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Bellevue, Wa
Reviewed November 6, 2007

My daughter (21 months) and I traveled alone to California on short notice for a charity event. By the time we needed to book there were few hotels that had better-than-lousy reviews and good prices, too, but this one looked ok. And I read a review that said it was right next to a grocery store, so I knew I easily find some foods my toddler would consent to eating.

We initially had a hard time finding it -- the sign is really low to the ground -- but were quickly and efficiently checked into a room with a single king bed. My family stays at a lot of sub-$100-night hotels and you never know what you're really going to get, but this was among the best furnished and cleanest cheap-end hotel I've stayed in.

There was a Ralph's Grocery next to it. Across the street was a Chinese grocery. The hotel seemed to be in a Chinese district of the city.

There was a nice continental breakfast: waffles, oatmeal, toast, bananas, cereal, I think there were some pastries or bagels, boiled eggs and also some kind of Chinese eggs in a dark, herby-smelling broth.

My only real complaint is that the hotel didn't offer sort of baby crib. We've traveled with my daughter a lot and never found a hotel before that didn't have cribs! They warned us when we booked, though, so we knew what we were getting into.

And also, the hotel pool was ICE cold! The hot tub was ok, though.

All in all, I was positively impressed, and would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Liked — Cleanliness & comfort was a great value for the price
  • Disliked — Ice cold pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
London
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I stayed here for three nights in August this year, and was really impressed. It was clean, modern, and very spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was excellent. It's a bit out in the sticks and a long way from anywhere interesting, but if you have a car and don't mind using it, this place is absolutely fine.

Stayed August 2007
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Rosemead
Best Western Markland Hotel
Best Western Markland Hotel
#1 of 4 in Monterey Park

Been to Monterey Park Inn? Share your experiences!