“My favorite is the Chinese chicken salad!”
Review of Shakas

Shakas
Ranked #20 of 181 Restaurants in Monterey Park
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My family enjoys the curry chicken bowls and the teriyaki chicken bowl. I have had the Huli Huli chicken, good! On salad with a side of Chinese chicken salad. Yummmmm we also enjoy the spam musubi, yummm. Also the gyosa bowl, yummm. Many people go for the shaved ice especially on hot days. Cherry! Yummmm. I haven't had a bad dish here. It's great for very casual meals!

Reviewed March 17, 2012

That means in my language it was very good. A little empty but it can do. If only it has good stuff that will make it the best

Reviewed January 26, 2012

I like the feeling of the place. It used to be one of my favorite places to grab a quick bite, until I had to cut down on the carbs... - it's a Hawaiian place - they serve rice. It's food I grew up with, and it's tasty and filling, but I'm tottering into old age and have to watch the carbs and blood sugar. I still think that the shaved Hawaiian ice is the best thing going on a hot summer day here in the San Gabriel Valley. This place has quality "comfort" food at a solid bargin cost.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Love the curry and macaroni salad. My daughter loves the spam musubi. My other daughter loves the chicken katsu and shaved ice. They also have a chopped cabbage salad, I love that too. Atmosphere is nice. Parking is public parking a lil further down but we always find a space.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Shakas is unassuming, sitting in a strip mall in Monterey Park. Parking can be challenging, since there are more patrons for the mall than spaces, but there is street parking as well. Walking into Shakas, though, and you'll realize that you're in a better place than Ono's or L&L. It's clean, has plenty of tables, and has a flat screen or two to watch the latest game. The Spam can wall may seem concerning, unless you've been to Hawaii and realize that Spam musubi's are a part of the modern culinary culture. The decor is comfortable -- nothing fancy, but seems Hawaiian flavored enough.

But it's really all about the food. And the food does not disappoint. There are plenty of choices, and several entrees are combined into plates. the Shaka plate offers a lot of food -- Chinese Chicken salad (excellent), macaroni salad, teriyaki beef (great), sesame chicken (yum), rice and a spam musubi (you need to try it at least once). It's less than $10 and can probably feed two. Top it off with a towering shaved ice and you have a meal. There are plenty of other plates offering different combos. I personally recommend the following entrees: Kalbi Beef ribs (smokey, rich, tasty), mochiko chicken (fried, sweet, tasty), kualua pork (salty, smokey, delicious). But everything I've tried (and we've eaten there a lot of times) is delicious.
It's not the cheapest -- L&L and Ono's are cheaper, but you can truly taste the difference. Don't come expecting spicy food, and if you don't like hanging around kids, this may not be your place as this is a restaurant of choice for many youth basketball teams after games or practice. Come for the food, though. This may not be Hawaii. but for fast food, it's as close as you can get in California.