“Diner on the Deck”

Loulou's Griddle In The Middle
Ranked #3 of 311 Restaurants in Monterey
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Loulou's Griddle in the Middle is the tiny diner on Wharf #2. We always say we're "tiny but mighty." We cook with a lot of heart, soul, and deep care about every detail. We aim to make your experience comfortable, fun, delicious, and a little like being at a home-away-from-home. The kitchen is open so you can see our chefs preparing right in front of you. Our community of customers--both local and visitors from far away--also make Loulou's special. We bend over backwards to accomodate your requests, when we can, and we might crown you with a tiara if your requests are many....but all in fun. The diner opened in 1948, so it's rich with history. We're blessed with one customer, Henry, who has been coming EVERY morning since 1948 and he's earned a customized stool, a plaque, his own coffee mug, and a warm place in our hearts.
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

A really quaint diner on fisherman a wharf. The cooks are flap jacking right in front of you. The food was twice as good as a diner and the price was right.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had a very short wait maybe 5 minutes. The service was fast and friendly. The potatoes were are delicious. Nice just being out on the wharf, eating inside or out doesn't matter. Just a small dinner, remember to bring CASH no credit cards.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I can't begin to say how much we enjoyed our dinner at LouLou's. They treated us so good & the food, wine & dessert were wonderful. I as spokeswoman for our group of 6 "no one should miss this restaurant".

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I don't know that I have been to any other restaurant where they encourage patrons to interact and talk with one another. It was a wonderful evening of great food, great wine and great people. We were immediately introduced to the people sitting next to us and the evening was filled with great conversation! I love this place.
To me, its a must place to eat when you are in Monterey! Its a Monterey Icon! You have not really been to Monterey if you have not eaten at Lou Lou's for either breakfast, lunch or dinner!

1  Thank RMarshall2
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I visited Monterey early this spring and used TripAdvisor to help in choosing a few places to try. My wife loves breakfast so when we heard about LouLou's it was a done deal. It wasn't easy to find. Google maps takes you to the main pier and when you glance over at the other pier, all you see is a tiny shack of a building that appears to be involved with hauling the boats out of the harbor. After searching around for ten minutes, we realized that the small building had to be LouLou's. It is the only building on the other pier so you can't miss it.

The place was tiny, but it was awesome. The chefs behind the counter work incredibly hard and the wait staff are incredibly friendly. It was perfect for an early Sat/Sun morning. We sat at the counter looking at the grill and out the back window where the boats are hauled up. It was a fun atmosphere. The food was awesome--one of the best breakfasts we have had and it was very reasonably priced, around $8-9 a person.

Everywhere we travel, we try breakfast joints and this has been one of our favorites. I would recommend it to anyone.