“Great Location, Strange Flavors” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sapporo Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #63 of 297 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Arroyo Grande, California
“Great Location, Strange Flavors”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My bride loves shrimp tempura and judges Japanese restaurants on this item. We loved the look of this place, upstairs with a great view of Monterey's harbor, roomy, open sushi kitchen, full, well-stocked bar, attentive service. All good, except the shrimp tempura had an off taste, as if some herb or spice was added to the batter. I enjoyed my Bul Go Gi (I know, a Korean dish!) but my bride could not eat her tempura. We asked our friendly server what was in the batter, but he really did not know how it was made. We were very disappointed as everything else was good, including the bar, the miso soup, and the salad, and my choice. Go, but avoid the tempura.

Visited October 2012

Zurich, Switzerland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not the best...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stuff is super friendly and let us come in and eat at 9:30 pm although they close at 10 pm. But the food is really not the best. Sushi is just so bad, I guess even the one at 7/11 taste better. But it is not just the taste. They simply look terrible. Did somebody sit on them before they served it? What they sell as Japanese vegetables is pretty much potatos with broccoli and carrots. This is so far from real Japanese food. Don`t even have seaweed on their menue. Wow...

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice view, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The sushi and food are good, the view is great, and the decor is ragged. I was expecting worse, but the service was decent, and the food was well prepared.

Visited September 2012
San Diego, California
“Good Food, Great Show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family and I came to this restaurant on our trip to Monterey and we were not dissapointed! We ate in the back area where they make your food in front of you and it was a lot of fun. Our cook was very quick with the one liners and kept us engaged the entire time he cooked our meal. My kids were especially amused when he used props. The food itself was very good. I recommend the steak and shrimp. The restaurant has a great view over the water, but for some reason they deliberately have about half of their tables facing away, when all could be facing te water. Luckily we stayed at a hotel with a great view, but if not I would have been dissapointed to be facing the inside of the restaurant when the lights of Monterey were the other way! Also, the initial servers were very bland, but the cook made up for it!

Visited July 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“best ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

hands down the best Japanese food experience ever,food presentation was matched by the superb taste.Try the deep-fried scallops.

• Visited August 2012