“Looking Forward to Going Back”
Review of Monterey Cookhouse

Monterey Cookhouse
Ranked #59 of 307 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We tried this place based on TripAdvisor reports and on the recommendation of our next door hotel. Good advice from both. Nice inviting restaurant with the popular bar area somewhat removed from the dining area. Our server, Richard, was very patient and helpful while we decided what to share from the appetizer and salad menu. The delicious fried calamari appetizer included fried lemon slices which brightened the flavor. The refreshing orchard salad was the perfect finish after the fried calamari. The beer selection is heavy on local craft breweries, which I always appreciate. The amber ale I tried lived up to our server’s endorsement. I’m looking forward to a return visit to try some of the appealing entrees.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Came for dinner with three kids. Food was abundant, but poorly made. Kids' menu was ok, but the ribs were terrible. Service was gentle. Prices in accordance with the general experience; less than expected.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Saw this restaurant down the street from the Travel Lodge we were staying at. The girl at the front desk recommended this place. We thought it was very nice inside. The service was excellent and the food was great. Even greater were the martinis!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Upon arriving at what looked like a great place to get a steak, I was greeted by the owner who really sold the Prime Rib big time. She told me it was smoked and only sold on Friday and "Always sells out". We are seated and we ordered two orders of the prime rib. I prefer the end cut because it bursts with flavor, and my daughter ordered medium rare. My wife ordered the Rib-eye.
The meal arrives quite quickly and we dig in. My daughter's Prime Rib is absolutely loaded with fat. I mean way too much fat. My P.R. is looking good but when I bite into it, being "smoked" , and the end cut, which is usually teeming with flavor...has no flavor at all. Smoked? Not. My wife's rib-eye steak was very good.
So the owner stops by our table and asks us what we think of our meal. I tell her and she proceeds to TEACH us about Prime Rib as if we just climbed out of a gutter and into a restaurant for the first time. She didn't ask if there was a way to satisfy us...just a big lesson for us lowly non-restaurant-owner types who obviously have never eaten Prime Rib before.
The steaks are good here, but if a heavy set blonde greets you at the door and is pushing Prime Rib, just smile and tell her Kirby says hello. She will know...lol

2  Thank Kirby92646
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husmand had baby ribs which was much too red and fat, and I had fisherman, the salmon, and prawns tasted fine, but too little rice, and the calamaris were absolutely tasteless. House whitewine was good.