“Overall positive impression, good value, great location and history”

Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
Ranked #12 of 55 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edmonds, Washington
“Overall positive impression, good value, great location and history”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We enjoyed one night at Casa Munras for New Year's Eve, booking only the day before. We were generally pleased. Check-in was easy and quick. Our room was very clean and the linens and towels were fresh and clean as well. The little wall heater was not very effective but did get the room comfortable after some time; however, the bathroom remained very cold (our room was the last one in the group of rooms upstairs in our building). The free Internet and work area were appreciated, and I liked reading about the history of the place and the Munras family. Unlike other reviewers, I was not bothered by thin walls or neighbor noise. The parking was quite full but I believe the hotel was sold out for New Year's Eve; we managed.

There are several features of Casa Munras that we did not get to experience, which look inviting: the heated outdoor pool, fire pit, restaurant, and spa. For the Monterey hotel scene, this seems to be a mid-priced, affordable hotel with a great location. We were able to walk to First Night Monterey festivities easily. From the hotel we heard the seals barking at midnight, a nice memory of Monterey! I would like to return when the room renovations have been completed.

Room Tip: From the reviews, it sounds like there are quite a variety of rooms. Good idea to check your room ou...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Polish first
Campbell, CA
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We’d booked the most expensive room, with a soak tub and fireplace. It was located in main building with the lobby and restaurant, facing the street.

The lobby was nice and the reception desk staff pleasant. The holiday decorations added to the ambiance. There was no wait to check in. I’ve stayed at the hotel before and used the pool but not this time. I have never eaten at the restaurant or used their spa. There are restaurants nearby, downtown Monterey a slightly longer walk, and Fisherman’s Wharf just a bit further but totally walkable. The hotel has a small patio area with tables, chairs and a firepit which is nice in the evening.

The room was nice though not huge. Our bathroom door didn’t shut – off the rails or something – and the maintenance man said he would fix it after we checked out, which wasn’t a problem for us. We also needed him to “jumpstart” the TV (he unplugged something in the back and then plugged it back in). Then it worked great the rest of the time. Of course it’s the new large screen wall-mounted type, over the (gas) fireplace, which we also used.

The windows could open, which I prefer, but there was some traffic noise because we faced the street, including garbage collectors on New Years Day before 8 am making an unholy din –WTH? Also the shutters let in some light in the morning, which is only a problem if you need your room really dark. I was up early anyway, thanks to the city sanitation department!

I felt a tiny bit guilty using the soak tub because it was so vast it took 15-20 minutes just to fill! But it was heaven. Wish I had one at home. (It’s not a Jacuzzi tub – no jets – but still wonderful.)

The room had a mini-fridge which we used for drinks and leftovers. There were two bathrobes which we also used.

Parking was kind of crazy, because we were there New Year’s Eve, and the hotel front desk staff ended up having me park in a handicapped spot because everything else was full. They told us to walk upstairs from the lobby to our second floor room but hopefully there’s an elevator as well. We weren’t carrying much luggage. This is a large property with many low-rise units, so when parking is tight you may end up a bit of a walk from your room.

There is an area in the lobby to buy snacks and drinks, with complimentary apples and flavored water in the lobby. The ice machine was outside the building instead of on our floor, so I called downstairs for ice to be brought up.

Be sure to read the history of the property and family on the hotel website, as it goes back to Spanish times – as does much in Monterey. I like staying at places with interesting history!

Room Tip: Away from street to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Salida, California, United States
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booked through Priceline. It said 3.5 stars I think, but Casa Munras said they are a four star. Either way, we weren't impressed. It was more like an updated old motel that the front entrance has been updated to more like a spa. When I asked about a hot tub, I was told yes we have one and right now if you book a massage you can get $20 off. I was confused. Yep, you have to book a spa treatment to use the hot tub. First disappointment. Then, the room we were given as one of their best rooms was very small and the headboard was against a wall with stairs on the outside. My boyfriend said there is no way he's going to be able to sleep through people going up and down the stairs. We wanted to cancel our stay and go across the street to the Best Western, but when you book through Priceline you cannot get a refund. Originally, when I called to select a room, I was given the option to upgrade to a room with a fireplace for $15 a night. She started to upgrade and then realized we could only get it for 2 of the 3 nights. I said ok, we will switch rooms on the third night. Then, she said she couldn't even get that into the system. When we complained about our room on arrival, they did get us into an upstairs room with a fireplace. That was the best feature of this hotel. The bed was also very comfortable and the shampoo was nice. Otherwise, the room felt like an old motel. They did bring us a bottle of wine to make up for our lack of satisfaction. It was delicious. We were surprised at the quality. Location was pretty good as we walked down Alvarado Street to dinner one night and coffee at Peet's or a little further to Starbucks another morning. Its not right on the wharf, but it's not too far a walk to the trail that can take you all the way to Pacific Grove which we really enjoyed. I've stayed at the Hotel Abrego which is very close to this hotel and it was far superior. I did get this room for $99 plus taxes and fees, but still was disappointed with the room and the lack of hot tub - one of my favorite things to do on vacation. I will not return to this hotel. I would try to get into the Hotel Abrego, Hyatt Regency, or even the Best Western on Munras close to Alvarado street.

Room Tip: Upstairs I guess. They have old style one story - park in front of the rooms also. Maybe they are...
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night. The hotel was expensive, room quality was okay. Pretty basic rooms. Quality fitness center. We dined at the restaurant, tapas, reasonable quality.

Location was pretty good, close to marina area.

• Stayed July 2013
Monterey, California
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is the worst hotel ever that I experienced. My wife and I booked a room of this hotel through priceline.com's "Name your own price" program. They say this is a three and a half star hotel, but to me my room is one from a one star hotel: no tub only a small shower booth; one of the lamps is not working; the wall is painted dull beige and green; no enough storage space; TV remote controller is not working properly.

Based on other reviews on this hotel, it seems that the hotel has some decent rooms. Unfortunately, my room, which I got through priceline.com's "Name your own price" program, was one of them.

2 Thank Ho K
MontereyInns, General Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We hold feedback such as yours to be extremely valuable, as it provides our best opportunity to make improvements.

We are all disappointed that your stay did not meet expectations. Our mission is to provide a restful environment dedicated to personal, attentive service, and I sincerely apologize for anything that detracted from your enjoyment of your stay. Please know that we ourselves are newcomers to the Casa Munras. Our company, the Inns of Monterey, recently purchased this hotel, and we are actively in the process of evaluating for improvements for the property. We are currently in the progress of completing two model rooms, which will serve as the template for renovating the remaining rooms in the hotel. The scope of the renovation plan for the guest rooms will included upgrades to the plumbing and electrical systems, and significant upgrades to the insulation in the walls, ceiling, floors and windows. We will also install all furniture, ceiling fans, and flat screen televisions. We look forward to providing our past guests with ongoing updates on the progress of the renovation, and hope that you will be pleased with our choices and the final product.

Please be assured that feedback from our guests on the state of the hotel is greatly appreciated, and that your comments are being taken into account as we move forward.

Thank you, again for taking the time to share your feedback. We believe that honest comments such as yours are vital to our continued improvement. I sincerely hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back, so that we might demonstrate how truly dedicated we are to providing a wonderful Monterey experience.
Bainbridge Island
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here five or six years ago and our current stay is as nice as our last visit. Very friendly and responsive staff. The restaurant is good and the food is a bargain. Full breakfast with coffee $10 or less. The dinner hour tapas are delicious and a nice dinner for two with wine is available for less than $60. We certainly plan to stay again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for returning to the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay the second time around and glad that you had a nice experience for breakfast and dinner in Esteban! I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments.
Penn Valley, California
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We booked a room for our family of 4 at the last minute. Staff is friendly, rooms are clean and nicely updated. 10 minute walk to pier/shops/restauants. Wish the Jacuzzi was part of the regular stay and not the "Spa Package".

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family