“Perfect Place for Romance”

Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The grounds are beautiful, filled with flowers. Sparkling pool - our room was right off the pool. The buildings are reminiscent of an old adobe with stucco exterior and dark wood balcony railings. Our room was perfect, pretty shutters on the windows, a corner fireplace, a bed I almost needed a stool to get into with six fluffy pillows, mattress covered with a down pad. Two leather wind back chairs flanked the fireplace - which we used. A contemporary, spa type color pallete throughout. I appreciated the fact that the tub had low sides, easy to get in and out of, beautiful tiles, vanity with useable drawers, glass shelving on the walls. High quality bath products. In room coffee maker and ironing board. Ample closet space. The front desk brought us a card for our anniversary and complimentary bottle of wine. The hotel is also vary conveniently located. We did not eat dinner at the onsite restuarant, but it had an attractive outdoor firepit seating area. Would recommend breakfast elsewhere, not many choices, service was slow, however food was good. Many amenities we didn't use: DVDs, bicycles, spa, pool, work out room, business center. I would happily return!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lauren S

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very conveniently located. Staff were very welcoming and friendly. We were upgraded to a king size and the room was clean and nice in size! The room had a mini coffee maker, bath products by Lather. Even the water bottles were priced modestly at $2.00 compared to other hotels! Also, the front desk has a collection of DVD's they let you borrow so you don't have to rent a movie! Next door to a Denny's and a short walk into town and the wharf area. Also, it was 0.2 miles from the 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach. The property had a spa which I did not get to use. I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very close to five stars here, just off by a whisker. The staff is attentive, perhaps a bit too forced. Please smile and relax a little bit more. There was a problem with our original booking for a specific room because," the heat is not working." It wasn't cold enough to be used. Nevermind they turned around and placed us in a better room. Glad they appreciated our politeness and understanding as I think the browbeating squeaky wheel approach would not work here. I'd book here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Call and book direct, let them hear your needs.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Booked at last minute on priceline bid. Its a real spanish style vacation motel in the middle of monterey. Felt relaxing, laid back. Rooms were clean, well laid out...showers were pretty weak though. Felt like an upmarket travelodge, so if thats your price-aim, will be perfect vacation. Could have happily stayed longer. We were very happy with rooms, location and pool. We asked for extra rollaway in each room and when we arrived they were already waiting for us......

Room Tip: We stayed opposite pool ground floor so no issues we heard from other reviews about noisy cars.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Although the decor in the room was older than in other hotels we stayed in during our Californian road trip from the UK, it was clean and comfortable and the location was excellent. The grounds are nice and the pool area is very good with soft cushioned wooden sun beds. The only draw back was that we were placed near a group of communications workers who were staying at the hotel. Both mornings they congregated outside our room for a loud chat with their vans running before leaving for work. The hotel information sheet said it was quiet (siesta) time before 9am but this wasn't enforced. Also about 6-8 parking spaces (which were not plentiful) were blocked off for their vans.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2013

What a nice stay at Casa Munras! Location is 10-15 min walk to Fisherman's wharf where we had dinner. It is right near Alvarado street where there are shops and restaurants and bars. It is a short drive to Cannery row/Aquarium. Travelodge and Denny's is across the street. I thought the room was quiet with nice decor. Room had small fridge and coffee maker. There was a fitness center and pool that we didn't use. Front desk was nice and friendly. Low flow shower is my only complaint so it took a little longer to rinse my hair. I recommend Casa Munras Hotel.
FYI I saw there are bicycles for rent. Next time I would like to bike along the beautiful coastline and have a picnic.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Staff was very friendly and the lobby was beautiful but I was put in a Cozy queen for a couple of hundred dollars. The room was NOT worth the price. It was just the room, no fireplace, then they put fancy sheets on the bed, put in fancy soaps and lotions and some stainless steel servers and call it good. I will say that the bed was very comfortable. However, for the price I expect to get a few addtional perks. They leave a couple of bottles of water on the table for you but charge you $2.50 each if you use them.

Parking was a nightmare. I had a full sized rental car and I was nervous about navigating the overly packied one way parking lot - barely squeezed through in some parts. If I had been in my husbands suv I would have been in trouble. When in the office checking in, I saw a guest come in who was stuck in the parking lot with his F150. I took the last parking space although I heard the staff still giving out room quotes and saying there were still rooms available.

For the price I'd rather go to one of the other hotels in the vicinity. Location was extremely good though -walking distance to aquarium, wharf, etc.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not getting a room in the first building (rooms 100-106) if you expect a little mo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sabrina B
MontereyInns, General Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

I want to thank this reviewer, first and foremost, for taking the time to share feedback on their recent experience. Honest comments from our guests, either received directly or through their posts on TripAdvisor, are very important to me as they provide the best possible insight into how our services are being received and how we might make improvements. I want to thank this reviewer, as well, for their high ranking of the cleanliness of the hotel – we recognize that the hard work of our housekeeping staff is large part of what sets our hotel apart, and I am happy to share this feedback.

That said, we are all disappointed to hear that despite this reviewer’s high regard for certain aspects of our hotel, their stay was less than wonderful. Please know that we ourselves are newcomers to the Casa Munras. Our company, the Inns of Monterey, recently purchased this hotel, and we are actively in the process of evaluating for improvements. Over the next several months plan will be put together to renovate the whole property; updating the bathrooms, windows, and other room amenities will be some of our top priorities. Your feedback such as this is truly appreciated, and will be taken into account as a renovation plan is developed. Please also know that we have recently installed $4,200.00 worth of new wi-fi equipment, and that we are embarking on a thorough flooring and carpet cleaning of the entire hotel; over the few weeks, each room and public space will be systematically gone through by an outside, professional cleaning service.

As for this guest’s concern regarding the parking; we are aware of the less than ideal set up of the parking lot, and I sincerely apologize for the difficulty it posed. We are currently attempting to purchase additional property in order to expand our parking availability, and hopefully avoid difficulties such as this in the future.

Thank you, again, for your review. Should any guest wish to speak with our managers directly regarding a question or concern, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We consider comments from all of our guests – both current and future – to be incredibly valuable, and we welcome all feedback.

the General Manager