“Loved it!”

Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed with our toddler at Casa munras for two nights. They had a playpen ready in the upgraded room and were super accommodating. The room was great! Good bed, nice robes, good quality amenities and you can borrow dvd's from their library.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, but went to the lebanese place downtown, which was also excellent.

The staff was really nice and accommodating and I was really pleased with the service. They even had chocolate chip cookies at the front desk!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for your review and for choosing the Casa Munras Hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, & room amenities, and that our staff made your stay extra comfortbale. Next time you'll have to stop in at Esteban restaurant or Sano Spa so you can get the full Casa Munras experience. We would love to have you back.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were driving from San Francisco to LA, and we found this motel to be suitable for us. We just needed a place to stay for the night. It’s within walking distance of the town centre and pier.

We found that the onsite restaurant was fine for breakfast and dinner. The room was quiet and clean, and compared to some other places we had recently stayed at, was larger, and you could use the shower without hitting a wall.

Parking out front was bonus and no extra costs for us.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent stay and review of the Casa Munras. Monterey is a great place to stop for a couple of days of relaxation between San Francisco and Los Angeles. Casa Munras' central location in the heart of downtown Monterey is a great staging point for exploring the entire peninsula. We're happy that you enjoyed your experience here and hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed at Casa Munras recently for 1 night while passing through Monterrey. We had a standard King Room which was exactly as pictured on the website. We booked the Internet Special rate which I think was a fair price for this room given it's centrally located and the room was recently updated. However their standard rates seem a bit exorbitant given that at the end of the day this is really a rehabbed and refurbished motel and not a luxury property.

The good- recently rehabbed room, new carpet, new bath, comfy featherbed, comfy robe, dog friendly (with $50 fee), easy parking, and walkable to downtown, restaurants, etc.

The average part- they rehabbed the rooms but did not redo the plumbing and it's an old building, so the water pressure is terrible. Also, as mentioned in other reviews the floors are very thin so the first floor rooms are loud. There were telltale signs of a hurried rehab: uneven paint, missing hardware on the bathroom vanity (there were holes for knobs but no knobs). The housekeeping was ok but not great, there was green eyeshadow on the bathroom floor, the slatted blinds were dusted on one side but not the other.

Overall- every new LaQuinta Inn where I have stayed is of a comparable quality. So the bottom line is that Casa Munras is good, comfortable, and does the job. I would stay there again given that the internet special rate is a good price point for the property. Just come with reasonable expectations and you will be satisfied. If I was going for pampered or romantic I would definitely look elsewhere and spend a little more.

Room Tip: Dog friendly rooms are on the first floor only and you will hear the person above you.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thak you for your recent stay and review of the Casa Munras. I'm happy to hear that the hotel met your expectations based on our website and was a good value to you. As you noted our guest rooms have received some updates, and I am pleased to tell you that there are more improvements being planned. We hope that when your travel plans bring you back to Monterey you will choose the Casa Munras, as we would love to share with you the exciting changes that are in store for the property.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Casa Munras is basically a motel that has been in existence for a long time. Until a couple of years ago it was a great deal for a location in the heart of Monterey. It was priced consistent with its age. Then a company (Larkspur) took over the property, upgraded the common areas, called it a Spa and increased the prices. While the rooms are clean and appealing, of course no structural changes were made, so you are still staying in an older motel. The basic rooms are in a two story structure, so it pays to ask for a top level room to avoid hearing noise from above and diminish noise from cars pulling into and out of parking spots that surround the units. Somewhat amusing is that the bathrooms have not received the minor cosmetic upgrades of the main room. The bathrooms look like they have fixtures and tiles from perhaps the 1960's. They are fully functional, no complaints, just speak to the dated nature of the facility. I have stayed here many times over the years, but no longer feel that the higher price justifies a stay. Unfortunately, I haven't found another facility that meets my preferences, so I can't help you there.
Also, the new management may be a little nickel-dime oriented. I stayed there about a month ago, since they were having a special which reduced the rates to the level which attracted me in the past. The reservationist indicated management was thinking of instituting a parking charge (for a damn motel !),watch out for that. Also, they added a charged to my credit card for the bottled water in the room, which I did not use. They readily reversed the charge when I challenged it, but now I have to advise you to check your credit card statement for this kind of behavior. The reservation staff and front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs. You have to schlep your luggage up a flight of stairs but won't have o...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Deskandchairs
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for being a repeat guest over the years and for your recent stay and review. This is a great time of year to take advantage of special rates at the Casa Munras. As you noted Casa Munras was previously a part of the Larkspur Hotel collection. Our previous ownership did make some fantastic updates to our property particulaly with the addition of Esteban restaurant and Sano spa. We are now under new ownership and mangement, and extensive plans are currently being developed to renovate the entire property. Our great staff and service have stayed the same. We hope that you will stick with us through these changes and are confident that you will appreciate the updates that are in store for the Casa Munras.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed at Casa Munras for a work trip recently and it was great. The room was perfect for what I needed and the hotel staff was awesome. They offered my coworker and I a complimentary glass of wine when we arrived as the bar had already closed. We sat out by the fire pit and enjoyed our wine before going to bed. The hotel was also conveniently located to get anywhere we needed to go in Monterey or Carmel & be sure to check out Wild Plum across the street!

Room Tip: Request the second floor, if possible. You can hear people walking around upstairs which can be a b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Casa Munras Hotel for your business trip. I am very pleased to hear that the Casa Munras had everything to make your stay comfortable, and we very much appreciate your endorsement. Casa Munras has a great location for guests who are staying for business and for pleasure alike. We are walking distance to the Monterey Conference Center/Fisherman's Wharf area. We also offer complimentary wireless internet, as well as a full service business center which are great amenities you often have to pay for at the other downtown hotels. We hope that if your work or personal travels bring you back to Monterey that you will choose us again.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have no idea why people highly rated this place. Those professional pictures are highly deceiving.

Hubby and I booked this "hotel" in a hurry and overly trust the ratings. The only room available was queen-size bed suit. We wondered how different will it be. BIG mistake. This is nothing that we expected.

This is more like a motel/inn than hotel. Super noisy and loud! I am mostly a deep sleeper and I do travel a lot. So sleeping in a new hotel and a new setting doesn't bother me at all. But after checking in and hitting the bed, I woke up by noise, e.g. Car driving through, car doors open and close, room doors open and close, drunk people talking, etc various times for the two nights we stayed here.

The suite we stayed in was the smallest room I ever stayed in North America (probably within 500 sqt), including New York.... I can't believe we are paying almost $200 a night for a tiny room like this... When you open the door, it was literally a queen-size bed, two bedside tables, a desk on the side, two chairs close to the window.... TV was hanged in the air to save space (as there was none to spare), a super small closet, and a tiny bathroom.... The bathroom was not renovated and super tiny. Just awful!!!

I will not come back for sure....Oh, did I mention that when we checked out, they didn't even bother to ask how our stay was? Maybe they knew there were just too many drunk people hanging out yelling at night? Maybe they know their sound proof system was virtually non-existed?

1  Thank H H

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. Your feedback is extremely valuable to us as we move forward in making improvements to the Casa Munras. I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our Cozy Queen room. This is our smallest room type, and also our most basic in terms of room amenities. While the Cozy Queen is a great fit for a business or budget traveler, it is not our top reccommendation for a romantic getaway. We do have some lovely king rooms that are more spacious, and some fireplace rooms as well.

Casa Munras has recently changed ownership, and over the next several months a plan will be put together to renovate our rooms. Things like the outdated bathroom that you mentioned will be given top priority. Your feedback is truly appreciate and I want to assure you that it is feedback like yours that we are taking into account as a renovation plan is developed.

Again, please accept my deepest apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations. We would love to have you back to the Casa Munras, and I am confident that we can improve upon your recent experience. Should you like to give the Casa Munras another try or discuss your stay any further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

(831)-233-7902

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend stay here with Casa Munras upon arrival and departure we were treated like wonderfully by excellent service from phone call and check in and out. Expect excellent service here by super friendly and helpful staff. Major plus in our book. We were celebrating our first Valentina's day as newlyweds and they made our celebratory weekend epic and memorable. Thank you! We were welcomed into our rooms with champagne and rose petals and few minutes later our chocolate covered strawberries arrived. I spoke to Cynthia few days ahead to help plan these special gifts to surprise my husband and it came out perfectly. Our room was great, clean and relaxing. The bed was super comfy and the fire place rocked keeping our room warmer esp through the winter temperature nights and adding to the romantic and relaxing ambiance. We enjoyed the tub to soak in hot bath in the evening when we returned back for day activities. Parking wasn't an issue during the day but got really packed at night so we had to go around back after returning to dinner to find a new spot a bit further away but still walking distance --good to walk after a huge stuffed meal. :) DVD player and cable channels available so we liked that lobby checked out DVDs with good variety and there's good wifi in your room if you bring your own devices to watch Netflix or stream your own movies or shows. Also, they have fruity water in the lobby that is qwenching and enjoyable. Go try it!

Walking distance to restaurants and driving distance to cannery row and wharf and lover'a point. The lobby has many options available for activities from renting single bicycles to booking whale watching tours...seek within. We also had a chance to enjoy their massage and spa treatment as couple. We just walked right across our room for it. Loved the convenience and relaxing massage it was for us. :)

We would highly recommend for cute and comfortable stay in a cottage/apartment style hotel with interesting history. Do not expect high end super modern. That's not we were expecting and enjoyed its adorable ways. This is definitely a preference. Looking for great service and comfortable stay close to Monterey's major activity sites. This is the place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Christine N

Thank you for choosing the Casa Munras as your Valentines getaway place. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your fireplace room, and that Cynthia was able to make your experience extra special by arranging some romantic amenities for your room. Please come back and stay with us again.