“Cool vibe, not super convenient”

Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 56 Hotels in Monterey
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Cool vibe, not super convenient”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here for a business conference at the Monterey Convention Center and overall had few complains. The bed was large and comfy and the rooms were kept quite clean. I didn't partake of the restaurant, but I got in quite late and they don't offer room service which I thought would be a nice thing to add considering they're on-site. The layout of the place is sort of villa-style which is really neat and kind of a cool touch considering the area they're in. The walls of these rooms are PAPER thin though and I had to request a new room because the first one I was put in had a screaming baby and incredibly loud family in the room directly adjacent to the wall my bed was on. I was quite happy with the way the front desk handled it though, as someone was at my room to take me to a new one within 5 minutes and they made sure it was to my liking before leaving me there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Colleen C
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for staying with us on your recent business trip. I'm glad that you enjoyed the unique layout of the hotel. I truly apologize for the noise caused by neighboring guests in your first room, though I am happy to hear that the front desk addressed your concerns professionally and was able to accommodate you in a quieter location. When your travels bring you back to Monterey, we hope that you will choose the Casa Munras again.

ssiino@larkspurhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Polish first
Irvine, California
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The staff were super friendly. Plenty of self-parking. The beds were comfortable. The room was clean. Free internet. The only downside was the TV was small, and the reception wasn't clear. We stayed on the second floor. The floors were squeaky, I'm not sure if the people below could hear when we walked around the room. No air conditioning, but there was a ceiling fan. The bathroom was a little dated, but not a big deal. Overall good stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing the highlights of your "nice stay" with us. I apologize for the vintage and quality of the TV in your guestroom. We are currently working towards replacing all of our TV's with 42" flatscreens. Many rooms have already been completed. Should you stay with us again we'd be happy to pre-block you into a room with a new television. Thanks again for staying.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 18, 2012

First time staying at Casa Munras. MORE than pleased with my experience. My wife and I came for our "baby-moon" before our second child was born and had such an awesome experience. I recommend a room overlooking the pool WITH a fireplace - so retro. Dining at Esteban was great. Front Desk staff was average but Concierge (man with a Southern accent) was awesome. DO NOT pass up the spa. Totally worth it.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the pool - 2nd floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ashevilleluva
Thank you for staying and for your review. Casa Munras truly does capture charms of historic Monterey. Many people are not aware of our rich history. Casa Munras was actually originally built in 1824 as the home to the last Spanish diplomat to California, Don Esteban Munras. For those guests with an interest in Monterey history there is a great self guided walking tour that begins just steps from the hotel. There is also a Munras family history room at the Carmel Mission. I'm glad you enjoyed the Monterey flare here at Casa Munras.

Sewall s Point, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Monterey has a damp feel about it, it's just the way it is. However, Monterey is worth visiting just for the excellent Casa Munras and its restaurant, Esteban. You are greeted in a splendid and welcoming reception area, complete with a quick massage while you check in and the staff here could not be more helpful. Our man each time we stayed there was the delightful Nicholas who knows everything there is to know about the area.

We were able to park right outside the room and on our second stay, we were treated to a fireplace in the bedroom - an unexpected bonus really. The really big bonus of Casa Munras is Esteban, a superb restaurant where Happy Hour is all day Sunday and 5-7pm all other days. They make a mean Mojito for $5 during this period and the lamb-burgers and trout were simply excellent. Throw in a fantastic group of wait staff and you have a delightful and inexpensive eatery right on your doorstep. We will absolutely stay there again.

1 Thank nickrobson
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and review of the Casa Munras. I'm sorry to hear the weather wasn't better for your stay. Summer months can be hard to call, as it alternates between sun and fog almost hourly. I always reccommend to visitors to dress in layers. I'm glad to hear that your expereince of the hotel and restaurant was good even though you couldn't say the same for the weather. I appreciate you mentioning that Nicholas provided you with great service. Our restaurant Esteban was voted Best Happy Hour in Monterey County for 2011, but you probably already knew that. We hope to have you come stay and dine with us again.

Manchester
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great hotel , fab mid-week prices, nice pool & nice setting. Staff very helpful, short walk to the Monterey complimentary shuttle bus around town. Definitely recommend staying here.

1 Thank Aaaabbbbsss
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your stamp of approval! Please come back and see us again soon. As you mentioned, if you can get away mid-week you'll find the best rates, or reserve our advance purchase rate for additional savings.

Cheers,

Fresno, California
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I spent the weekend her with my Fiancé. Had a meeting on a Friday in Salinas and decided to take a weekend trip to the Coast. We were checked in by Nicolas who had a great deal of knowledge of the area and was very helpful. He gave us a choice of what building we wanted to stay in which was very nice. Once we got to our room I was in dire need of a shower and the shower had no water pressure whatsoever.

The front desk moved us to a new room, we were in a building on the back of the property. They put us in room 274. Nice room bigger TV, nice fireplace below the TV. The shower did have better water pressure. There was a balcony and I believe this was the only building were you had your own private balcony. But it did look out into a parking lot.

We had a challenge later in the night when we were returning from the pool and the key to the room did not work. I had to leave my fiancé at the door, wet in and in the cold. I rushed down to the front desk (through the restaurant patio) in a robe. I was obviously a bit upset about this. The front desk clerk proceeded to tell me that is was ok and we are all family here. I was not too happy about this considering I was cold and wet and that was her solution to the problem. I ended up calling the front desk after getting back to the room and trying to put the heater on to warm up my fiancé.

I turned it on for it only to make a noise that I have never heard before. I honestly thought there was a small animal in there. I spoke with Nicolas about everything that had transpired and he did everything in its power to make it right. By the time we left on Sunday we were pretty happy with our stay, that was all because of Nicolas. He really knew how to take care of the situation.

This is a nice hotel that is a bit older but has some charm and Larkspur seems to be working the bugs out of it. Oh yes and the restaurant is as good as the staff says it is.

1 Thank ledieff
Thank you so much for your recent stay at the Casa Munras and for your review. I truly appreciate you mentioning Nicholas at the front desk and that he provided you with such excellent guest service and addressed the concerns that you brought up to him regarding your room. I will make sure that he has read your review as well. Please come back and stay with us again.

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel is wonderful. The staff are great. In fact, we had left some items in our room and the housekeeping staff had kept it in the lost and found and mailed it back to us within a matter of days free of charge. The location cannot be beat as it was within walking distance into downtown and all the tourist attractions but far enough away that it was quiet at night.

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting a room away from the pool since it got pretty noisy but if you will be...
1 Thank WrldTrvlr9
sabrinajs, Front Office Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Thank you for your nice review. Im so happy to hear that you enjoyed our location during your stay, and that the good service didn't end for you at check out. Thank you for complimenting our housekeeping department for finding and shipping your lost and found item.