Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa
El Castell Motel(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$79
Villa Franca Inn(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$89
$189
$242
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn Monterey by the Sea(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$95
$427
$209
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
Monterey Bay Lodge(Monterey)(Great Value!)
$165
$151
1,486 results
All reviewstapas restaurantwild plumcannery rowfire pitheated poolfisherman's wharfon site restaurantalvarado streetfree parkingdowntown montereyfitness centerbed was very comfortablemain buildingnice stayking roommile drivethe room was nice
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Over the past few years Casa Munras has been the place my husband and I stay at when in Monterey. Our primary reason is location and the restaurant Esteban. Our previous stay had not been a good one, but it also hadn't been a terrible one. We figured every place has a bad weekend so we decided to try it again.
We were pleasantly greeted by Byron at check in. He was warm,inviting and very informative. A+ staff as usual. Have always loved their staff and their attention to the visitors. It when downhill from there. Once again we were having a hard time trying find a place to park. This happens every stay, nothing new. We finally found one a ways away from our room. However I was terrifiied my car was going to have door dings by morning because the parking stalls are TINY.
We finally get to our room which is the King With fireplace. The room was old dirty and smelled just the same. I was disappointed because I made sure I stayed with the same room type hoping my room would be just as nice as previous stays. There was no quilt/blanket. The room was dim and the fireplace was on the ground and Old and Dirty. These words will be repeated throughout.
The room looked nothing like the pictures or the rooms we had previously stayed in.The next aching we noticed as we got into bed was that we could not see the Tv from our bed.Not because it is a 27" Old tv in an armoire, but because the armoire was placed so far in the corner we had to rearrange the furniture. Was terribly disappointed but since it was just an overnight trip we just went to sleep.
In the morning we had to look for our bathroom amenities and ice bucket and such. In the closet is where they were.A logical place for these items??? NO I am thinking that this room was just so small and outdated that they just tossed things in there so the bathroom would seem bigger.

When we went to use the sink in the morning it starting filling up with brown sewage like stuff. I turned the water off while my husanband held the drain closed so no more would come up and overflow. This was when we are suppose to be taking a shower, relaxing and having a cup of coffee.Instead I call the front desk and they knew exactly what I was talking about and sent somebody right away.Once again the receptionist as well as the maintenance workers were top notch. I cannot say enough about Casa Muras staff. very professional and friendly.

It took them about 35-40 minutes to fix the problem, however when they were fixing ours they were getting called away to work on other rooms with the exact same problem.By this time we were so frustrated with Casa Munras we packed up our stuff and went over to family members home to get ready. Ironic, since we stayed in a hotel so we wouldn't be in the way when we were getting ready as they just had a newborn.

During checkout I brought this to the attention of a different receptionist and she asked me if I wanted to join their rewards program and said my next stay would be better. That frustrated me more. I am not the traveler who complains to get things free, but I truly thought the "accomodations"I received in the 12 hours I spent there was appalling and something should have been done. I was disappointed and will not do business with them in the future based on this experience.I had just spent the previous week at Abrego around the corner and will take my business to there from now on.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaliforniaVegasLover
VillaFlorenceGM, General Manager at Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2011

Dear CaliforniaVegasLover:

May I start by apologizing for the challenges you experienced at the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. While we are a vintage hotel, the details you shared are not reflective of our goals in service or hospitality. We did experience a concern recently with the city which created (non sewage) plumbing challenges. That has since been resolved, and I do not expect a similar incident. I am very sorry that this impacted your visit.

I also appreciate the feedback you shared regarding the room layout and placement of amenities. I will include your comments as we complete our planning for improvements. We are scheduling upgrades to our rooms, and this feedback goes a long way in our design plan. Thank you for this valuable insight.

I do hope that you return to The Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. While the Abrego is a fine hotel, I believe that it cannot offer the ambiance, spa and culinary experiences that are offered at the Casa Munras.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

The pictures I saw on line of Casa Munras made this place look a lot more fancy than it actually was. In reality this was a decent motel with a nice restaurant attached but not much more. The rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious, but very noisy. I didn't have to turn on my own TV - I could just listen to the neighbors'. The parking situation right in front of the room didn't help much either. And where was my fridge?

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Dear BaldBuddha:
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. I am disappointed that your stay did not meet your expectations. We are currently evaluating the plan to upgrade some of the guest rooms and baths. We currently have many of the rooms complete, and I hope that upon your next visit you elect to reserve one the upgraded rooms.

As we are an exterior, resort style hotel, noise can sometimes be a concern. I appreciate your feedback on this. I wish we had the opportunity to make corrections during your stay. Thank you again for your constructive observations.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

About a 90 minute drive from the San Jose airport. While not within walking distance of Cnnery Row it is only a short drive. The room was all right; clean but nothing out of the ordinary. The window screens were not flush with the side wall, so it you wanted fresh air, you would also get the bugs that were present. Very helpful staff. There is a Denny's restaurant across the street, but not much in the way of food other than at the Motel places. Not a fancy place but nice and clean.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Dear PennsylvaniaRay:
Thank you for staying at the Casa Munras Hotel & Spa. I appreciate your comments, and will include in our weekly inspections. It is also very nice that you had a great experience with our staff! I wish you had the chance to visit our award winning restaurant, Esteban, or our Sano Spa. Hopefully next time.

Thanks again,

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We checked in late Fri evening and left early Sat but would love to try this hotel for a longer stay next time I head to Monterey. Lobby was beautiful, Lounge and pool area looked really nice but I did not get the opportunity to use. Hopefully next time. Rooms are typical, single pane windows, so you an hear whats going on outside (at least in the room we were in) but I've yet to find a really quiet hotel. Nice real wood furniture, like the recycling bins - but the beds were extraordinary!! If I could have I would have stolen the comforter and pillows :) . My son kept complimenting that every one was so nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Dear Cathy O:
Thanks for the great feedback! Our Featherborne bed package is a Lurkspur Hotel signature item. The staff love to hear great things about them, and I will be certain to share. Look forward to your next visit!
Thanks

Reviewed October 28, 2011

very nice motel. A bit worn in the details, such as the cracked moulding on the bathroom floors, but honestly, how important are the details? I was in a "cozy queen", small, but plenty big enough for my week's stay. The bed was very comfortable, and I loved the radio. Too many hotels either have no radios or horrible cheap radios, but this Cambridge Soundworks set had wonderful clarity and depth. i just wish it had come with an adapter for my iPod. Big wide screen tv, but I don;t watch television, so I didn't use it. Not very private, on the first floor I felt like people in the parking lot were sharing room with me. Parking was a bit of problem too; not really the motel's fault, more the fault of people who drive ridiculous oversized behemoths that take up two spaces.

Room Tip: Second floor probably better
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Dear MattBenzing:
I appreciate your comments on our bed package, It is one of our many strong points, along with the Cambridge audio. I also understand that parking fills up and apologize that larger vehicles sometimes take up extra spaces. We do our best to prevent this, especially when full.
We look forward to your return!